Watchuseek Editor

Jaw-Dropping Friday: Bulgari Commedia dell’Arte

Name:  Jaw-Dropping Friday.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  Bulgari Commedia dell'Arte.jpg
Views: 2620
Size:  175.2 KB

If you like your watch to be all singing and dancing in addition to truly jaw dropping then Bulgari’s Commedia dell’Arte series, rare, and extremely refined, could be the watch for you, assuming of course you can handle the $500,000 price tag.

In this remarkable watch, much of it made by hand under microscopes, grand complication and craftsmanship combine to give life to a creation inspired by Italy’s theatrical history of the 16th century, when masked characters performed outdoor improvisations for the amusement of the general public.

The three most famous and iconic characters of this tradition – Brighella, Pulcinella, and Harlequin – occupy the centre of the dial of this lavish watch. When the cathedral gong Minute Repeater is activated, these three figures come alive against a superbly executed backdrop, which is a representation of an Italian palazzo. Depending on the scene, between five and seven mobile components animate the figures.

Bulgari is one of the few watchmakers capable of producing such a finestriking watch. After having developed striking mechanisms with two, three and four hammers, for Commedia dell’Arte Bulgari presents a cathedral gong Minute Repeater with two hammers.

The gongs are unique in that they are longer than standard gongs: the steel wire wraps around inside the case twice instead of just once. This generates a deeper sound and amplifies the resonance of the mechanism.

The Minute Repeater mechanism for Commedia dell’Arte features even greater watchmaking craftsmanship by pairing the sound with animations that bring a complex scene to life on each of the three different dials. The gong mechanism chimes the hours, quarter hours and minutes on demand in different tones, animating the different figures on the dial each time.

Name:  Bulgari-Commedia-dell’Arte-Watch-Collection-.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  105.7 KB

As soon as the chime sounds, the central figure moves his or her left arm before the other four characters in turn begin moving counter clockwise, foot, arm, chest, head and so on. Crafted on 18k gold discs, the watch combines several artisanal techniques including miniature painting, engraving and chasing. The three scenes depict three different cities – Venice, Naples and Bologna. The watch is powered by a Calibre BVL 618 that is entirely hand finished.

Each of the three versions is engraved with the name of the central character on the dial: Harlequin, Pulcinella or Brighella. The Commedia dell’Arte series is a numbered, limited edition consisting of eight pieces each.

The watches require highly skilled craftsmen and a miniaturist with a well developed artisitic sense. The artist in charge of the Commedia Dell Arte project said that in 35 years of plying her craft, she had never worked on a piece with as many details.

Limited to just 24 pieces, the Bulgari Commedia dell’Arte the watch has been pre-selected for the Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Geneve (GPHG). Will its artistic and technical brilliance see it win Watch of the Year? Bulgari will be dancing in the streets if it does.

Visit the Bulgari website
    Last edited by Michael Weare; September 13th, 2013 at 04:36.

Re: Jaw-Dropping Friday: Bulgari Commedia dell’Arte

Just wanted to get in before Watchbreath's disparaging post.
    portauto and lmcgbaj like this.
    Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
    Groucho Marx

Wrong, carillon type watches are a turn on for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
    Just wanted to get in before Watchbreath's disparaging post.

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

It's a ... no sorry, mhhhh... let's just call it an "acquired taste"...

I'm saving for this model, with an artistic representation of a state of the art 17th century Italian sanitation device. Notice the jubilation as he drops his deuce, as interpreted by a minute repeater's elaborate gongs.

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto

Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older:
    Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Wish List: Patek Philippe Aquanaut Travel Time 5164A; JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon 39
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005

Banned

I fear its 54mm girth will limit its popularity.

But it would look great in your watchcase and the hit of any WIS event.
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    I fear its 54mm girth will limit its popularity.

Asia - HK, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai

Somehow i believe this watch is outsourced.

Thread Information