Watchuseek Editor

Must See Monday: Voutilainen V-8R

Name:  Must See Monday.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  Voutilainen V-8R main.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  77.7 KB

This week on Must See Monday we look at a worthy entry into the Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Geneve (GPHG) Awards which recognises the best watches of any particular year as decided by a panel of judges.

52 year old Kari Voutilainen is considered one of today’s most talented watchmakers. He first came to Switzerland in 1989 to attend the International Watchmaking School, where he completed the WOSTEP complicated watch course, a post graduate course for those watchmakers dedicated to the restoration of complicated, high quality rare watches. He was invited to participate with Parmigiani Mesure et Art du Temps, where over the following ten years he was at the centre of the restoration work of some of the world’s rarest pieces as well as the creation of new and original ‘one-off’ pieces.

Recently he was involved in the creation of MB&F’s Legacy Machine Number Two. You don’t get an invitation to be involved with an MB&F project unless you are truly premier league.

Based in Motiers in Switzerland, the V-8R is made by hand. In the Voutilainen portfolio the Vingt-8 is considered the entry level watch. The V-8R takes the concept further. It has a hack seconds, as well as a power reserve display. But a Maltese Cross on the barrel provides a cut-off for the mainspring, which limits the barrel to its optimal torque. Although the movement has a 65 hour power reserve in total, the V-8R runs for just over 48 hours which enables it to operate within its most stable range.

Name:  Voutilainen V-8R.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  71.4 KB

In Kari’s own words “When I was designing my in house calibre some years ago, there were already plans in my mind for future possibilities regarding complications and new features. The first question that came up after the new base calibre was released was simply: what should be the next development? After discussions within the workshop together with my team, we decided that a power reserve indicator was a perfect first complication that was exactly in character with a manual winding wristwatch. I felt it was good at this point to add a hacking feature for the seconds, and to design the power reserve in an unusual way so that it could actually be seen by the user; normally this is impossible to see inside the movement. However, there was one important aspect that I wanted to design which is harder to describe: the limiting of the power reserve to the period of the best torque of the mainspring.

When you finish winding any watch, there will be a certain amount of power reserve built up in the mainspring. However, the hours at the end of the reserve period will not be optimal for the best chronometric results. My solution is taken from the best examples from the past: a Maltese cross construction on the winding barrel limits the power reserve to only supply slightly more than 2 days of optimal power out of 65 hours of torque to the movement.”

The red gold encased V8-R is limited to just 25 pieces retailing at CHF82,000.

Visit Kari Voutilainen's website

Re: Must See Monday: Voutilainen V-8R

Another face ruined by a PR.
    portauto likes this.

Interesting piece. He had to move the bridge of the balance wheel off centre to allow space for the visible PR work. Too bad the Maltese Cross for the stopwork remains hidden.

The "entry-level" Vingt-8 looks better.

Honestly.. i like the PR indicator

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Another face ruined by a PR.

Not the best Pic to appreciate the impeccable dial finishes of superior detail that Mr. Voutilainen gives to his watches.
    Jorge
    Patek Phillippe - Rolex
    Hidden Content

Thread Information