WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New Vacheron Constantin Overseas 2016

23K views 147 replies 43 participants last post by  Tick Talk 
#1 ·
Does anybody know what would be the specifications of the 20 anniversary Overseas watch next year....

#4 ·
Thanks. I was offered a sweet deal over the existing model for a discount of over 30% with a wall clock as gift. I'm in dilemma whether I accept that or wait for a new watch in January. . What is your opinion sirs. .. Regards

#5 ·
Sounds like a pretty nice deal, especially with the wall clock thrown in. I'll take the clock if you don't want it! :-d

As for the new model, if it's like most models announced at Basel or SIHH, it'll likely not be available until Fall, so your wait may be longer than expected.

Good luck with sorting it all out.

#8 ·
Here's a quote from The Hour Lounge's Alex Ghobi in response to what was being changed (from back in March): the Overseas case but I don't think it will happen.... but there will be some nice surprises, even with the current Overseas

Has there been any news since? I'm pretty excited to see the changes

#10 ·
I spoke to a representative from VC a few weeks back during an event in Stockholm. As I understood between the lines the new Overseas is close to being announced. I was also told that if I liked the look of the current model (I´m interested in the chrono) I should move fast. This could of course have been a sales pitch, but who knows..
Now I´ve paid a deposit on a 49150, black dial. I got an amazing price, so like someone said above; if the new model attracts me enough, I´ll be able to flip the 49150 without even losing any money on the way..

#11 ·
Hi. VC is sitting tight on their announcement on Overseas model. Much has come out as pre SIHH announcements from other brands and even from VC but nothing is heard about our interest... please update here if I missed something. Regards

#14 ·
I remember Alex hinting that it would be "nice to have a quick strap change option" on the new Overseas but this gap in the bracelet doesn't look like anything having to do with that (completely unconfirmed) feature. They probably just laid out the bracelet for the picture without bothering to attach the two halves to each other.

At least we know that the rumours of a new movement (in-house, likely and with a shiny gold rotor now) and a display back (bye-bye Faraday cage and "antimagnetic" on the back cover) are true. The case could potentially thinner as well. The overall case size is hard to judge by the picture but it doesn't appear to be much different dimensions-wise from the 2004 model. Well, whatever the news are - we'll know it all in just a few days...

#18 · (Edited)
I like the current Overseas size and to me the lugs shape and size are great- even on my thin wrists (6.75") the Watch looks perfect, better than the technically smaller Royal Oak 15400. I would prefer the dial to be slightly larger with a redesigned thinner bezel to give the watch a more expressive face.

#21 ·
I have a 6 and 3/4 inch wrist too. It's a subjective call; for me I thought it was borderline too big. Especially when compared to how something like a 15202 looks on my wrist.

That said, I think the Overseas is a tremendous watch. That bracelet is something special. I hope they can keep the solid construction on the bracelet in the new iteration. Even with the border too-large size one might find its way into my collection at some point.

#19 · (Edited)
Looks like the case will definitely be thinner, barely looks thicker than the bracelet. The half Maltese cross on the bracelet looks less accentuated which I find a little disappointing. I am guessing they toned down the bracelet to compliment a sleeker more Nautilus/15202 like design. The "missing link" we are seeing in that shot might be something along the lines of the Rolex adjustable half link.
in terms of the movement, presumably the in house expectation pertains to the chronograph? I am wondering if they will start with a time only and wait to do a chrono. That would mean they would 'save' their in house chrono movement for a redesigned traditionelle and charge a higher premium. We'll find out soon enough
Can't wait to see the reveal

#22 ·
It'll be very surprising if VC release a case size less than 40mm. I mean I would love to see 38.5 or 39 on the new gen but the high-end sports watch market is pretty well-established in the 40s; I agree with a commenter on the Purists who said that it would be commercially disastrous to offer less than 40mm on a high-end sports watch because BIGNESS/wrist presence sells. I definitely would keep an open mind if VC leave the lug-to-lug measurements unchanged. It's the WR and PR ratings that I hope VC can improve. The display caseback is a bad sign for WR rating.

#24 ·
From a VC source that I won't reveal and we'll find out soon how accurate:
A time only OS will be released
From what he knew (and as I suspected) no chronograph OS :-(
Apparently a world time Overseas...!
Another 1 maybe 2 complications, couldn't squeeze anymore info out

Some other VC tidbits:
No new variations on the Traditionnelle Small Seconds
A new guilloche dial Traditionnelle Automatic

#27 · (Edited)
From what I inferred from the conversation, definitely thinner but no smaller than 40mm.
Also because of the case back it won't be anti-magnetic. Not sure if water resistance improved

I also forgot to mention, apparently no new Traditionnelle chronograph, at least for the time being.

Sorry if brief, writing this from a car

#32 ·
The popularity of world timers is lost on me. I like dual time but not the crowded dials of world timers. The design of the GO Cosmopolite is the way I would go. And then world time on a true SS sports case?...doesn't make sense. Maybe VC sees a market opportunity with the recent world timer releases from JLC and Montblanc that are in the $10k range. Anyway like Spangles mentioned, all speculations can cease shortly.

#40 ·
The Bernoulli effect manifests itself over the top surface of a wing which is designed to be smaller in area than the bottom surface to cause higher flow speed over the top surface since it has to cover a greater distance in the same amount of time. This creates the air pressure differential or "lift". But on the front edge of the wing as well as the bottom surface the air is compressed, not rarified.

As interesting as it sounds, however, I would argue that since watches are not aerodynamically shaped like a wing cross-section this phenomenon has nothing to do with the subject of dynamic water pressure. It's all very simple really - the surface that collides with water will experience localized high pressure as water is not a very compressible substance. It can actually feel like a brick wall which anyone who had the misfortune of landing in it flat on the stomach could testify to. There are only three factors at play here - the collision speed, the density of the liquid and the angle at which a surface of an object situates relative to the vector of the movement. There is a reason they use high pressure water to detonate IEDs and precision cut steel.

#42 ·
Which, btw, will not be fixed under warranty.
You have experience with having warranty service denied on a VC Overseas due to water damage? I'd like to hear more about that, and perhaps connect you with their Swiss head office to have this corrected.

As far as dynamic pressure goes, I'll quote directly from the ISO publication, ISO Focus, from April of 2013 in an article titled; Water-resistant watches, what does it really mean?

Experiments have established that the pressure variation in surface water activities, such as swimming, jumping into the water and diving, never exceeds 1 bar. So a time piece marked "water-resistant 3 bars" can safely be submerged to a maximum depth of 30 metres and used for surface water activities, be it at the pool, at the beach, or when showering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.