Ochs und Junior Moonphase - Power of the Crescent Moon
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Ochs und Junior Moonphase - Power of the Crescent Moon

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Ochs und Junior Moonphase - Power of the Crescent Moon

Today is different than most days. Today I sit under a waxing crescent enjoying the tidal pull of the moon at 25% full. Even though it has a long way to go, I can feel the effects of the full moon already weighing on my mind. It slows my senses and twists my logic; it warps my comprehension and impales holes in reality. I feel as if I am losing grip on the world around me, and plunging into a darkness of fear and trepidation.

Name:  9494678988_12031e5835.jpg
Views: 4390
Size:  32.5 KB

I have put my mind to a task, and been left wanting. Math, it seems, is still my mortal enemy for it has foiled my attempts to understand something as simple as a gear train calculation. Any horology buffs out there might scoff and say “It’s simple, how could you not understand it?” To them I say, yeah, most calculations are simple, and this one appeared as so from the first moment I set my mind to the equation. But shortly thereafter I found out I had been dearly mistaken. Maybe I didn’t notice something that is painfully obvious; maybe I was using the wrong calculations? Maybe the information I had was not the whole story and there is a missing link that would make it crystal clear? Whatever the reason, I failed not through lack of effort.

Google was my friend today, querying terms that I remembered from school, and relearning things that I had since forgotten. I discovered that planetary gear systems used slightly different calculations based on where the driving force was coming from. That didn’t help in the end, as the answers I was getting never matched anything that I was looking for. Woe is me; I shake my fist towards the sky and howl! HOWL! HOWWWWWWWWLLLLLL!

Name:  9494642760_6f06311bc9_z.jpg
Views: 5079
Size:  37.1 KB

Well enough with the dramatics, let’s get to it. The reason we are here today is to discuss a watch very interesting to me and that is the Ochs und Junior Moonphase, or previously known as the Selene Tinta Moonphase. This watch has the distinction of being the most accurate moonphase watch ever made… and quite possibly the LEAST complicated moonphase ever created as well! Those are a couple big claims so how do they stack up? Well, utilizing only 5 components the moonphase is accurate to one day in 3,478.27 years. I’ll let that sink in for a second. Kind of amazing, yes?

Name:  9494642360_969f7fe705_z.jpg
Views: 3832
Size:  71.1 KB

This amazing feat of mathematics is what has me stumped. Not because I don’t believe it, actually I think it is most likely true that complications are more complicated than they really need be. It has me stumped because I cannot do the calculations to get to that number of how accurate it is. Let’s give a rundown of how it works. Here are the parts…

Name:  9491842951_bedcc6e485_z.jpg
Views: 3860
Size:  133.4 KB

The smallest part attaches directly to the hour wheel and (verified by a watchmaker friend of mine) rotates 24 times in one day. Now according to a video I have seen from the brand, it is stated that it rotates twice in a 24 hour period. First issue. I will be enquiring to Beat Weinmann as to the correct function asap. Regardless of that fact, I did run the calculations using both numbers, neither netting me the right answer so don’t say HA, that’s where you messed up. Moving on, the first wheel of the planetary gear train is a compound gear, or in watchmaking terms, a wheel and a pinion. The wheel has 12 teeth which mesh with the finger attached to the hour wheel. The pinion has 14 teeth (leaves) which mesh with the next gear in the series that has 18 teeth. The pinion of the third gear again has 14 teeth (leaves) and these mesh with an outer ring gear containing 109 teeth. Simple and straight forward yet I am left baffled by the calculations. Nothing I or my watchmaking associate can do will get us the right numbers. I may be missing something but I cannot figure it out. Five hours of my time and 2 hours of my friends’ could not crack it so I lay myself before thee defeated in this hour. I will rise again to accept the challenge when I am not under a deadline and still needing to go buy groceries for the week.

Name:  9491842693_12e0f4bcc1_b.jpg
Views: 3972
Size:  163.5 KB

Even though I cannot figure out the calculations, I’m reasonably sure someone on Watchuseek will know the answer or I will be enlightened by someone soon and my knowledge will grow. Obviously they are not selling a watch that does not keep excellent accuracy for the moonphase, I simply am failing to calculate it correctly but that does not diminish my love for the complication! This is why I bring it to your attention today. Clever and ingenious design, with mechanisms and gear systems, is what makes me get all giddy like a 5th grader with a brand new Superball. Sometimes, late at night, I watch videos of machinery that is extremely specialized just to see how people thought of using the same components to do completely different things. I love how things work, and the Ochs und Junior Moonphase is engineering design at its best. Check out this video by the folks at Hodinkee talking with Beat Weinmann about the brand and the Moonphase-

The Moonphase demonstrates very plainly that, while there are many ways to make a date, most of them are superfluously cluttered with components that can be fettered out. It would be interesting to see Ludwig Oechslin’s take on a seemingly irreducibly complex mechanism such as a minute repeater. He already made an annual calendar with only 3 extra parts, so I bet his ideas would be crazy simple. These are things I admire because it follows one rule that I try to employ whenever possible – Keep it simple, stupid. Engineers out there will have heard this mantra repeated throughout school and the good ones took it to heart. There are many times that a task can be accomplished in fewer steps, with fewer parts, or relying on fewer systems. Why use six gears when two will do, why have four legs on a chair when 3 work just fine. Sometimes the situation calls for complexity, but many times it really doesn’t and you can abandon the grand plans in favor of something more elegant, less complex, and hopefully, incredibly clever.

Name:  9494642512_9ed88becf2_z.jpg
Views: 3852
Size:  115.5 KB

This philosophy extends to many parts of Ochs und Junior and their timepieces. The dials are designed to be functional, with posts on the rear to hold wheels and gears, and holes milled to act as indicators. No need to have a bunch of little numbers attached and multiple components to simply locate a ring that needs to spin. The case backs are solid and keep water out… all they need to do. In fact, the case is only two main components, instead of the sometimes dozens that other cases employ. It really is all about simplicity. Some watchmakers or WIS will say it lacks the finishing quality that defines high end timepieces, or that the way it is made by haute horology houses is more precise and will last longer. To them I say eat shorts. If you want you can polish and bevel and grain all the pieces of an Ochs und Junior and make them shiny just like an AP or a PP and then shove it in a safe and say “Oh look how pretty it is! Well it’s in the safe, but someday you can see how pretty it is!” Now this isn’t to say I don’t love those watches, I do, but Ochs und Junior is about something different.

Name:  9491842809_11d9dd37c1_z.jpg
Views: 3804
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  9494642058_8e40fe7536_z.jpg
Views: 3876
Size:  77.7 KB

They are about people who want a nice watch that works well, sells for a good price, and is something that they can wear for real life. Maybe you wouldn’t wear one to a wedding (I would, but that’s me) but anywhere else in the world these watches would work great. The machined cases are even left unfinished, not because they like things to look raw or unfinished, but because the machining is so accurate and clean that they look great right out of the machine. Not many brands can say that. Being a machinist myself, I know what the right feeds and speeds can do to a piece of metal, to where if you program it correctly, you can even get your Côtes de Genève right from the mill (yes I have done that before… my employers haven’t noticed yet) That is workmanship in its truest form, making a part so well that there isn’t any finishing to be done.

Name:  9491843077_7e43b8e486_z.jpg
Views: 4397
Size:  123.4 KB

Meow meow meow meow mrrow meow meow. Wait, what the heck, get away from the computer you silly feline. Ok, on to the breakdown!

• Wowza Factor – 4.5 This watch is known as a sleeper. It might not garner the attention a bling encrusted gold behemoth with tourbillon, but it makes up for that with honesty and integrity in its purpose.
    • Late Night Lust Appeal – 1.55 gn » 15.200 m/s2 This watch is a sleeper for a reason, it has demure and utilitarian looks, but can slam your butt back in your seat like a Bugatti accelerating to 100km/h in just 2.4 seconds.
    • M.G.R. – 56.7 The base movement is an industry standard 2824-2, so no complaints there. But the kicker is the date and moonphase additions utilizing only 6 extra parts combined!
    • Added-Functionitis – Moderate With an added date and moonphase only consisting of 6 extra parts and with the moonphase being accurate to one day every 3,478.27 years, this watch definitely requires judicious application of extra strength ‘Gotta-HAVE-That’ cream for the serious horological swelling that will occur.
    • Clams Per Pound – $10,000 The most accurate moonphase in a wristwatch and the least complicated one at that definitely deserves the asking price! You are paying for the ingenuity, not a bunch of extra parts!
    • Ouch Outline – 3.89 – Clipping the Cuticles Too Deep Anybody that does their own grooming knows how painful that can be and I would take it time and again, I would be able to count the days till the full moon while I bleed!
    • Mermaid Moment – Wait, you said only 5 parts? And it’s how accurate??? The moment you hear the simplicity behind the moonphase of this watch you will say one of two things: A- “That’s pretty darn good” or B- “Holy poop!”

Name:  9494642664_7bc4591c77_z.jpg
Views: 3752
Size:  177.1 KB

Oh, sorry Ludwig, didn't mean to weird you out there! (I think he thinks I'm a dork)

Overall this brand and this watch are amazing not for the complexity and the sheer manpower it takes to finish it, but for the simplicity and ingenuity it takes to complete such complications with such few parts. They are rigorous in their reduction and hold themselves to a level of workmanship that many should strive for. Not needing to finish the case or other parts because they are made well in the first place is something this guy can appreciate. Alas though, I still must know the calculation and I vow I will not rest until I discover the truth! Curse you mathematica!!!!!!

As always the photos are not owned by me and are found freely on the interweb.

Have an awesomely great week & DFTBA!

Cheers & Happy Watching,

Joshua

-------------------------
    www.ochsundjunior.ch
    Last edited by Ernie Romers; August 12th, 2013 at 15:17.
    CitizenM, TroyNVie, drhr and 10 others like this.

Re: Ochs und Junior Moonphase - Power of the Crescent Moon

I love this watch.

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older:
    Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Wish List: Patek Philippe Aquanaut Travel Time 5164A; JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon 39
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005

A brilliant yet relatively simple piece of horological brilliance.
    One watch, two watch, three watch, divorce.

I received delivery of my Ochs und Junior Moonphase last month and its truly stunning in the flesh. Photos do not do it full justice as can be said for most fine watches.
    I must admit a moonphase from the likes of PP, AP, VC, JLC were on my horological wish list but a little out of my reach.

When I read about Ochs und Junior on Hodinkee earlier this year I was simply captivated by the brand and what it stood for. The very fact that a small group of master craftspersons are involved in each stage of the watch's
    manufacture means a lot to me. The entire process of deciding the configuration of my Moonphase was also a great pleasure. Beat and his team are to be highly commended for stellar service and a truly magnificent timepiece I shall treasure for the rest of my life.

Anyway, enough ramble from me. A few amateurish pics on my behalf. I could not wait until a full moon in Sydney last week to take a few shots of my Moonphase and our heavenly neighbour...

Name:  DSC_0476_zpsb8478fa6.jpg
Views: 3280
Size:  37.6 KBName:  DSC_0480_zpsb052b729.jpg
Views: 3258
Size:  39.9 KBName:  DSC_0482_zps43338c17.jpg
Views: 3222
Size:  46.4 KBName:  DSC_0490_zpsb65967ce.jpg
Views: 3183
Size:  28.0 KB
    Last edited by watchvic; August 26th, 2013 at 04:32.

Thumbs Up Re: Ochs und Junior Moonphase - Power of the Crescent Moon

I just received my Moon Phase. It's even more lovelier than the pictures. The crown is a bit sharp, but I will have it rounded off when I send it in for its first service.

Congratulations Orsoni on the arrival of your Moonphase. Its truly a stunning piece and not your typical watch.
    I like the colour of the hands and indices on your model. Is it purple?
    I call it art on your wrist

Quote Originally Posted by JMunchow View Post
    It really is all about simplicity. Some watchmakers or WIS will say it lacks the finishing quality that defines high end timepieces, or that the way it is made by haute horology houses is more precise and will last longer. To them I say eat shorts. If you want you can polish and bevel and grain all the pieces of an Ochs und Junior and make them shiny just like an AP or a PP and then shove it in a safe and say “Oh look how pretty it is! Well it’s in the safe, but someday you can see how pretty it is!” Now this isn’t to say I don’t love those watches, I do, but Ochs und Junior is about something different
    +1
    Jorge
    Patek Phillippe - Rolex
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by watchvic View Post
    Congratulations Orsoni on the arrival of your Moonphase. Its truly a stunning piece and not your typical watch.
    I like the colour of the hands and indices on your model. Is it purple?
    I call it art on your wrist
    Sorry for the delay. It has lavender hands on a gray dial.

Very unique, lovely and interesting timepiece. Wear it in good health sir.

Another proud owner from Down Under. My new to me Moonphase (Selene Tinta):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Psi, Orsoni, watchvic and 1 others like this.
    Current:
    Anonimo Millemetri Japan LE Bronze | Anonimo Polluce | G-Shock DW-5600MS-1 | Linde Werdelin SpidoSpeed | Linde Werdelin Tattoo | ochs und junior Moonphase |Rolex Submariner 14060M | Sarpaneva K0 RoW | Sinn 104 | Swiss Military Chrono 20012ST | Vintage Fortis Dress Watch

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information