WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Roger Dubuis watches, pro and cons

11K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  jpohn 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Just having a good time looking at adds on Chrono24.
The dream is a perpetual calendar watch, for me they are amazing, great engineering and so, all to fit in something THAT small, a watch! Very interesting complications. Also, they are the highest level of complications I can afford.

One from PP is out of my range, but there are some from Ap, in the Edward Piguet and Millinary line, then there is GO and then there is Roger Dubuis.
AP and GO I know a bit about, but how is RD?
I mean, yes, he makes some very complicated watches, some not so pretty and some more classic and good looking, in my mind.

How is his perpetual calendar watches?
Also, what I am thinking about is, service, parts down the road and how are they to adjust, user friendly? (Maybe the only user friendly perpetual calendar watches are from IWC and JLC?)

#6 ·
I'll skip right to objective things:
Pro:
1. All of its watches hold geneva mark and chronometer certificate - dont know anyone else does it - let me know if someone does.
2. Positioned as tier one brand within Richemont.

Cons:
1. Very poor value retention - it's going to hurt when you want to flip as your taste changes, which is going to happen 9 times out of 10.

Look further and forget about it unless you really know what you like and youself as well...

#9 ·
Definitely original styling - I've tried two, and neither did it for me in the metal unfortunately. The Monegasque wore much too flat and just looked awkward, and the Easy Diver in 40mm wore larger than my Panerai 44mm. Definitely not watches you buy without trying on first... best of luck.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.
Well, yes, one has to try before one buys one from RD. But, that is with all watches, even more when one is talking about a watch in these price ranges.
??? I don't agree with that at all. The price is irrelevant if, upon trying on a watch, one doesn't like it. Would you willingly buy a $10 watch, that once you try it on, you know you don't like it? I wouldn't, unless I'm being forced to do so, say, at gunpoint. It's no different at $10K. And any price point, trying on the options one has under consideration pretty well indicates to one which one prefers most, that is if one knows what one wants and to what degree. The price matters when one has decided to buy a given watch.

All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.