WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Rose gold Blancpain Fifty Fathoms or Breguet Marine 42MM or ?

5K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  al358 
#1 ·
Looking for a nice used rose gold watch.
I've narrowed it down to Ceramic BP FF or Breguet Marine.
The Breguets are usually chrono which I don't need but can live with. FF's can be had chrono or regular.
This will be my "everything" watch and I swim and work with my hands so the watch will see usage and get scratches etc.

Whatcha think ?

#11 ·
OP, are these the ones you're looking at?
View attachment 6243089 View attachment 6243145

I'd vote FF too. I love that bezel. The FF has a better WR rating but it's a bigger dial vs. the Breguet.
Yes those two exactly.
I have the last generation Fifty fathoms in Rose gold but it seems a little small these days at 40MM.
Thought I wanted the newer one until I walked into the Breguet store in NYC and saw the Marine in rose gold.

#10 ·
Looking for a nice used rose gold watch.
I've narrowed it down to Ceramic BP FF or Breguet Marine.
The Breguets are usually chrono which I don't need but can live with. FF's can be had chrono or regular.
This will be my "everything" watch and I swim and work with my hands so the watch will see usage and get scratches etc.

Whatcha think ?
??? Usually chrono? Only if one bothers not to look for the non-chrono variant....There's an alarm version as well, although it has slightly different styling.

That said, I think the BP FF is the better choice (between the two about which you asked) as an "everything" watch. I think the steel Marine is better than either as an "everything" watch because it has the "dress flexible" looks of the Marine, it lacks the decidedly sporty look of the FF and more rugged wearability than will gold.

I feel that as divers go, the basic FF is a tad dressier looking than most, but no "external dive bezel" watch strikes me as a dress watch or as a "dress flexible" one, and for that reason, none of them is ever fits with my idea of "wear it everywhere" and "all the time." My life just isn't casual enough for that to work with my sartorial style. (It will be in a couple years when I retire, but right now, it's just not.) The Marine, for me, is in the same style group (dress flexible) as the PP Nautilus, AP Royal Oak, VC Overseas, Piaget Polo, JLC Reverso (on a bracelet), Omega Constellation, various Cartier models on bracelets, Rolex DJ or Day-Date (President or Jubilee bracelet), or even the IWC Ingy, and that style of watch does work with whatever I happen to wear, even if there are other styles -- more casual or more dressy -- that might work a bit better on specific occasions.

All the best.

#12 ·
You sum up the way I think as well. Since I am more active and less office the BP probably fits better. However I DO love the quality that the Marine oozes. Not gaudy but understated elegance.
I'm not going to pony up full retail so am looking at the secondary market.
The majority of 42MM marines on the market are either white or rose gold chronos. I saw one alarm awhile back and one steel. The steel was about the same price as a gold one.
Missed a rose gold LNIB Breguet at 15K while pondering.
DOH !

#16 ·
Both are nice choices. The Marine is really interesting and one I have often considered. There is one thing that threw me off when I saw the RG in a boutique: theres quite a lot going on -Grey guilloche, white, black and rose gold on the dial. It's already a bit anachronistic with the classical touches paired with rubber strap. With the various tones/colors I started to feel it lacked some of the cohesion of the steel versions. However I did see the smaller non chrono with a brown leather strap that looked interesting, I can't decide whether it pulls things together or looks worse than the rubber. Here's a quick photoshop to get an idea

Attachments

#18 ·
Indeed, although having seen both the RG and the SS in the flesh, I'd take the SS every day of the week, and then twice on Sunday...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.