WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Size challenged options

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  tony20009 
#1 ·
Hey folks, just wanted to go over the options to go from here:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

The Sub was my daily wearer for like 5 years or so when it was my only watch. But this past year the Air King has been the daily. So light on the wrist and the blue dial plays with light beautifully.
The Reverso was last year's purchase; couldn't resist the case-flip complication.
The Carrera was an impulse buy; I missed out on the black with daytona rings while travelling, saw this white one and pounced on it. I've been pushing this around for sale, waiting for the right conditions.
The Connie I liked the pie pan dial, bought while traveling as well.

As you see my pieces are relatively small because my wrist is only 6" in circumference (add or give a few points on wet/hot day).

As many of the WUSers here I browse, read, and lust on watches daily on the net, but with such a small wrist I feel the options are very limited.

The watches I've given some strong thoughts this past year have been the following (sorry if some don't qualify as HEW, or even blasphemies..more on that as you read on :-d)
A few criteria in selection: again size of the case, but also I dress very casually everyday in year-round humid weather. Very rarely do I wear long sleeves so the watches I wear will be on display in the open. It will be prone to the elements, dings, knocks, and all shinyness and blinginess will be out in the open.

JLC Tribute to Geophysic 1958

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Classic design, clean dial, robust movement, 800 pieces available in steel. The Haute version of the Explorer, if you will. Drawback is it is limited edition so probably the only way to get it is through special order channels. Will explore on this to see if any nearby ADs/boutiques carry it. 38.5mm may or may not fit.

Alternative: IWC Mark XII.

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Strap

The popular pilot, the one that IWC now tries to return to with the Mark XVIII. JLC automatic ebauche inside. Friendly size in 36mm.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15450

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
(not my wrist)

Waited all year for the black dial version but AP didn't do it in the SIHH 2016 catalog. Probably the only current Royal Oak that fits me.
Drawback: bracelet finishing can look like a disco ball on my wrist :)

Hublot Classic Fusion, Titanium or Ceramic

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

I know, I know...but one can have guilty pleasures. They come in rubber for the humid days and also a 42mm size which don't look terribly large. The AD gives a pretty big discount on them too.

JLC Perpetuals, old or new

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

What I love about JLC is how they can present complications like perpetuals, ultra thin, to the more affordable spectrum of HEW. There are some preowned pieces of previous models, but they are coming with this steel black this year.
Size on new one is a bit big in 39 vs 38 of old, and I always felt getting a perpetual means cutting on the rotation. Afterall, what's the use of the perpetual if you don't wear it, right? It's also on the most expensive compared to the ones I've listed.

See less See more
#2 ·
If going new, I like the RO (15450). A pre-owned Nautilus 3800 will also put you in about the same size and price range. I also really like the Hublot you've pictured. Any one of the three will add some sporting flair to your collection, which currently is quite nice, but rather somber. Then again, if somber is "you," there's little militating for your choosing a watch like the Fusion, RO or Nautilus that has stylish flair. Better to "do you" than to "do flair" for the sake of doing flair.

It seems that having tried on the Hublot at 42mm, you've come to find that your wrist doesn't have to have a sub-40mm watch for the look to still be "right." That's a good thing. That's a good thing for it offers at least one point of reference showing that size is just a number, nne that save for the most extreme cases is barely worth bothering to discover much less pay attention to; how it wears on one's wrist is what matters.

All the best.

#4 ·
I've realized that size is just a number. In sport watches with prominent bezel I can go a bit over, unlike thin bezel dressy watches.

Thanks for the input.
You're welcome.

All the best.

#5 ·
The current Classic Fusions come with solid polished hands. I think I like the previous one with skeletonized hands. It fits the look better.

I also like the Tonda 1950 in black. It is in the 5-digit range, but for the quality and finishing of the movement I think it's great value. Even Panerai is charging only a bit less for a steel model with micro rotor.

Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery

#7 · (Edited)
Romulux - first off, nice collection with some interesting variation. As far as the choices go, I can't find the original post to quote him from, but will paraphrase something Tony said that has stuck with me: You can buy a boring looking watch to prevent it going out of style but in 20 years it will still look boring

The RO looked pretty interesting 40 odd years ago and still does today. If you feel the 15450 is the one that suits you best then that would be my choice of those presented but I'd give the 15202 a try as well.
I also like that JLC can offer interesting complications with a relatively high level of finishing for the money. However I find their designs pretty conservative so I would have to love the complications or something else about a particular piece.
Sorry to any owners/admirers but I am just not that impressed with the Parmigiani Tonda. When I recently went to their boutique I just didn't think the movement finishing was that impressive for the price, there are better options out there in this regard. I like the case but the dial is a bit 'empty' for my taste.
The Hublot? I mean, if its really a guilty pleasure then perhaps you should consider it. Guilty pleasures, after all tend to be rather fun. If you need some solidarity from sharing then I rather like the idea of getting a non-stripey Richard Mille at some point

#9 ·
Some update.

I went watch browsing in Singapore yesterday. The highlight was trying on the Lange One. If there is a "grail watch", then that would be it I guess. Unfortunately the price is way out of reach now.

Finally tried on the Black Magic Fusion. I liked it. The updated solid hands improved legibility. No pictures, sorry. Apparently Hublot changed its pricing scheme making it a bit more expensive.

Then I capped the day with a lengthy chat with the GO boutique manager.

I liked this one the most. A tad big, but it's hard to get more horology per buck in the price range.
Watch Wrist Fashion accessory Hand Arm

No decisions yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Some update.

I went watch browsing in Singapore yesterday. The highlight was trying on the Lange One. If there is a "grail watch", then that would be it I guess. Unfortunately the price is way out of reach now.

Finally tried on the Black Magic Fusion. I liked it. The updated solid hands improved legibility. No pictures, sorry. Apparently Hublot changed its pricing scheme making it a bit more expensive.

Then I capped the day with a lengthy chat with the GO boutique manager.

I liked this one the most. A tad big, but it's hard to get more horology per buck in the price range.
View attachment 7369890

No decisions yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With respect, that is a beautiful watch indeed, but IMO it looks rather too large for your wrist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.