WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Spotted in the wild: Ochs und Junior - wow, what wrist presence

21K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  phaphaphooey 
#1 · (Edited)
There's no way around it - quality shows instantly (well, perhaps to my overly sensitive eye).
Yesterday in the tram I saw a guy with an O&J, likely the simple Date, a grey model with golden indices.

You know, for that kind of money I always said - over 5K I would only buy something with exquisite decoration and finish, most likely with a decorated movement visible on the back. Ochs und Junior look (from what I've seen on the pictures up until now) to be on the, uh... rougher?.. side of things. Like the shabby chic of the watch world. Simple, earthy even.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

However, that thing looked so damn good on his wrist. I cannot stress this enough - it stood out. From about a meter away, I could almost feel the texture of the case, that of the dial, and marvel at the wonderful contrasting indices. I'm not sure if the guy felt uncomfortable because of my intense stare, haha (in case it was someone here, I apologise and offer my compliments :)).

Hadn't seen them live, ever, especially not in a normal setting. Anyway. Was just so impressed, I had to say it. Ochs owners, you can safely feel that your purchase was justified. And I am left to ponder whether I should re-evaluate the place their piece occupies on my list. Their personal approach and customisation just makes it much harder to resist as well...

See less See more
#2 ·
Very cool watches.
I haven't seen anything interesting on the trams lately.

#5 ·
Probably was a resident of Uhrforum then (can't imagine anyone happening upon the place by accident), was in Zurich.

The design seems to be quite universal as well, fits lots of different colours and occasions. Maybe a visit to the shop would be interesting...

#6 ·
I'm also quite biased, but also agree that you're correct in your thoughts in ochs und junior.

My personal favourite piece, and the only one (other than my Sinn as it was gifted to me) that I won't sell.

Go visit Beat and the crew, you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I'm also quite biased, but also agree that you're correct in your thoughts in ochs und junior. My personal favourite piece, and the only one (other than my Sinn as it was gifted to me) that I won't sell.Go visit Beat and the crew, you won't be disappointed.
Phunky Monkey, do you have any more pictures of your Ochs you'd be willing to post? Your design choices are really sharp. What did you choose for the hands and moon disk? Thanks!

#9 ·
Yep, both are 11mm.

#11 ·
How is the sturgeon strap? Not sure if it classes it up or makes the watch look more casual and rustic?

Does it come through that you could wear it for business? Or is it purely a casual watch?

#14 · (Edited)
I love the sturgeon. I have two of them, one a very early strap which is quite dark, and much stiffer.

When I had the redesign of the watch done I had another sturgeon made as mine was a bit on the small side. The new strap is far more supple, and a different colour completely.

I actually utilise it as my dress watch regularly, and I think as long as your suit and shoes tie in with it then it's perfect. I thought it was dressy enough to let go of my Reverso, but I wouldn't call it a dress watch.

I think the deeper brown of the original sturgeon is probably more suited to black and navy, whereas the New sturgeon suits a light blue/tan type combo.

Below is an image of the old dial and early sturgeon strap.

And here is a good illustration of old sturgeon (far left) and New (middle).

#15 ·
I love the Nebra, but then it's definitely in pure casual mode.

#16 ·
This is one of those watches I'd really like to see in person. In photos, I just don't 'get it'. I mean no offense to anyone who owns one, as I assume my opinion would change once seeing it in the flesh. Perhaps this says more about my perception of what a luxury piece should be, than what luxury truly means.

I don't know what would be more antithetical to this brand than a Manhattan boutique to show off their stuff. A Brooklyn store front, however....

#17 ·
This is one of those watches I'd really like to see in person. In photos, I just don't 'get it'. I mean no offense to anyone who owns one, as I assume my opinion would change once seeing it in the flesh. Perhaps this says more about my perception of what a luxury piece should be, than what luxury truly means.

I don't know what would be more antithetical to this brand than a Manhattan boutique to show off their stuff. A Brooklyn store front, however....
I think that if they don't really sing to you in pictures, then seeing them in the flesh wouldn't change your opinion. A lot of people don't really get them, which I completely understand. It's not what we traditionally think about when it comes to luxury, especially within the watch realm.

For me though, creating a one-off piece that is hand made by a small team headed by one of the greats of the horological world feels like true luxury, but for others the watch itself may feel too industrial and not in-line with high-end traditions, and therefore it's provenance is null and void.

Reactions: mlcor and drhr
#21 ·
Some of the Nebra dials are roughed up and look rustic. Some look clean and perhaps it could be pulled off as a dress watch? My fear is that I would get it and it would not be dressy enough on a strap. I am dress shirt and slacks most of the time or a suit. Not a ton of more casual polo shirt type days in the office for me.

That and I am obsessed with the 5711-1r.

I got rid of everything except the gmt, so if I don’t think it can pull wrist time away, I cannot consider it. However I can admire from a distance.

#23 ·
Some of the Nebra dials are roughed up and look rustic. Some look clean and perhaps it could be pulled off as a dress watch? My fear is that I would get it and it would not be dressy enough on a strap. I am dress shirt and slacks most of the time or a suit. Not a ton of more casual polo shirt type days in the office for me.

That and I am obsessed with the 5711-1r.

I got rid of everything except the gmt, so if I don't think it can pull wrist time away, I cannot consider it. However I can admire from a distance.
The Nebra is this dial specifically: https://www.ochsundjunior.swiss/nebra/

I'd say that and the rust versions are the furthest from a dress watch you could get within the ochs realm. If I were wanting something to fly under the radar, I'd probably go an Annual Calendar or Moonphase in one of the patina specs. Something like this:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Font Design

I'd have no issue wearing that with any attire, from shorts and a singlet to suited and booted.

The 5711-R is stunning. I'd happily wear that with just about any attire too! :-!

#26 ·
Thanks for the clarification on the Nebra. I have seen some with the rust on them, so I thought it was dial variation. I was not sure if people requested that finish or not. I do not like that rust finish at all. I was intrigued by the sturgeon strap at the claims of the water resistance (and sweat).

I think the fact that that combo is very casual puts it down the list always.

However it is on the list, and Mrs Dapuma likes the Nebra and Ochs design, so that keeps it pretty high up there. I have a feeling if I were to get one that she would help make sure it didn’t spend much time on a winder.

#27 ·
Thanks for the clarification on the Nebra. I have seen some with the rust on them, so I thought it was dial variation. I was not sure if people requested that finish or not. I do not like that rust finish at all. I was intrigued by the sturgeon strap at the claims of the water resistance (and sweat).

I think the fact that that combo is very casual puts it down the list always.

However it is on the list, and Mrs Dapuma likes the Nebra and Ochs design, so that keeps it pretty high up there. I have a feeling if I were to get one that she would help make sure it didn't spend much time on a winder.
The Rust design was instigated by the previous owner of my watch actually. He sold me his moonphase, and commissioned the Rust to be developed to commemorate the birth of his son :-!

I quite like the Rust personally, but not sure I'd take it over the other designs. If I were to get an Annual or Perpetual, I think I'd go the Yves Klein Blue. That is an absolutely stunning colour in person!

#31 ·

Attachments

#34 ·
Reviving an older thread.

But have just put in an order for an Ochs und Junior moonphase with a wild patina. They are currently working up a couple of designs using the standard patina or blue one as starting points.

The wild patina was the one that first brought the makers to my attention (plus the ridiculously accurate moonphase complication).

So next year, that’ll be seen in the wild too.

PS As said above their day/night watch design is amazing but was too much for my blood!

#35 ·
Reviving an older thread.

But have just put in an order for an Ochs und Junior moonphase with a wild patina. They are currently working up a couple of designs using the standard patina or blue one as starting points.

The wild patina was the one that first brought the makers to my attention (plus the ridiculously accurate moonphase complication).

So next year, that'll be seen in the wild too.

PS As said above their day/night watch design is amazing but was too much for my blood!
Congrats... I can't wait to see it. I love O&J and respect what they do.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#44 ·
OK I bought an MIH when in Switzerland with my wife for our Honeymoon from Embassy 9 years ago.
I had emailed Beat a question on the watch and he mentioned the OJ watches 9 years ago but somehow I forgot or did not look at them.
I just looked at this thread for the first time and MUST order one! It will be a perfect pair to my MIH, I LOVE how I can go crazy with colors.
I LOVE how the dial is blank like it is on one of my H Moser watches (the purple haze).
So you all are evil for having this thread and I will tell my wife to blame all of you when it shows up LOL!
Thank you for the inspiration!

Reactions: GrouchoM
#46 ·
Thought you guys might like this feature that just went live today on an Oz watch publication, featuring my ochs:

#47 ·
Not the best pics in the world but finally picked up my moonphase! Pics don’t quite capture the different colours that appear on the dials. Beat and the team we’re amazing to deal with. Loving the watch.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.