WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Stainless Daytona Black Dial versus Stainless AP Royal Oak 15300 Blue Dial

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  lxxrr 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Long time no post.....

I just posted over on Rolex Forums, but was keen to see what WatchUSeek had to say as well!

I find myself in a bit of a quandry and was keen to gauge some general opinion by calling upon the collective wisdom of the forum.

I currently have a stainless/yellow gold daytona (ref 116523, black dial) which I purchased a month or so ago with a view to it being a daily wear.

To be honest I rushed into the purchase and have found I don't love the watch, mainly due to the bimetal - I find it lacks a bit of versatility, and is perhaps too flash for everday work wear, and not flashy enough to be really special that only comes out a couple of times a month.....

As such I have decided to trade it for a stainless daily wearer, and then save up for something else for weekend wear/special occasions (something in Rose Gold or White Gold, love the Daytona ref 116515 LN).

My initial thought process was simply trade it for a stainless Daytona. This won't really cost me anything and I won't have lost more than a few hundred on the bi metal. Problem solved - simple!

However.....

I have been thrown a bit of a curve ball by my local independent dealer (from whom I purchased the bi metal, and from whom my colleague has purchased an AP 15400 from - he is trusted and always has excellent pieces, and delivers excellent service).

He has shown me an AP Royal Oak 15300 in the rare blue dial which has just landed in part ex. It is a 2011/2012 watch, which comes with box but no papers. This initially bothered me as I had only bought brand new before, but I am now comfortable with it, particularly when working on the mantra of buying the seller not the watch.

I had previously tried on an AP 15400 and it didn't do much for me as I felt it wore massively on my 6.75 inch wrist. The 15300 however fits extremely well, and, well it is an AP. The more I read about AP, the heritage of the 15300 etc the more excited I am about the prospect of having one.

So I have a decision to make;

Return bi metal daytona and around £0 for a used/£800ish (I guess) for a new Stainless Daytona, black dial

Return bi metal daytona and £2500 for a used AP Royal Oak 15300 blue dial (meaning it will be costing me circa £10200 I think)

The usual advice is "go with what sings to you" - they are both beautiful watches, and I am having a very hard time deciding between the two. Both have various pluses and minuses from reading extensively (servicing costs, durability, exclusivity etc etc.) Both look good on the wrist, both are great watches - how on earth do you decide? Has anyone owned one then the other, any thoughts etc etc?

Many thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have both and I have to say 15300 >>>>>>>>>>>> Daytona. The Daytona is a cool watch no doubt but you can find one in every corner of this Universe. 15300 with blue dial OTOH is not only rare but hands down one of the, if not the most, beautiful blue dials ever. Oh yeah and the watch ain't bad either, that AP.

#3 ·
They are both wonderful watches, but I would go with the AP simply because it will become harder and harder to find one of those (blue dial 15300) as time goes by. I would get it, and if you find yourself down the road still wanting the Daytona, they are ubiquitous.

#5 ·
I really like both choices. I will say the AP bracelet is pretty blingy for being SS. Both sporty watches but focusing on opposite things.

On one hand you're paying for the finishing and on the other you're paying for the complication.

There's still something off to me about a highly finished sport watch but the 15300 is one of my favorites in that field so its a toss up imo.

Truth be told, I'm looking at buying a Daytona in the near future though if that means anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.