WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Suggestions: High-End Sport Model Watch For Small Wrists

76K views 564 replies 44 participants last post by  Acey 
#1 · (Edited)
If everything goes to plan I will be picking up a Breguet Classique 5930 this weekend. As such, my attention is turning to my next watch (which will not be purchased for a number of years, but I like having a goal). I would like a high-end sport watch, something like the Breguet Marine or VC Overseas (latest model); a "basic" three-hander. While the Marine is too big for my wrist on a strap, I would like to try it on a bracelet to see if it is a better fit. I am also looking forward to trying on the VC Overseas (although from what I gather it may be too large for my wrist).

As such, what similar watches are suitable for people like me with small wrists?

Edit: I should add I am not interested in purchasing a Rolex.

#2 ·
How small are your wrist?
You want it on bracelet or rubber (not gonna say leather since you said sport model)?
Price range?

I made a post not too long ago asking for <$15k on rubber and under 40mm. Might be worth a glance through to see all the suggestions other members gave. Below are just some suggestions off the top of my head.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak
-15450 is the 37mm (If the Breguet Marine is too big at 39mm, this would probably be the only one)
-15300 is the 39mm
-15202 is the 2 hander ultra thin 39mm
-15400 is the 41mm

Patek Phillipe Aquanaut
-5165 is the 38mm
-5167 is the 40mm
-5164 is the dual time 40.5mm (I think that's the diameter)

Piaget Polo S
-42mm on rubber or bracelet

Hublot Classic Fusion
-38mm version would probably fit you well

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your suggestions; I will check out your thread. My wrists are 6 1/4 inches on a good day.

I would want the watch most likely on a bracelet and price range at this stage no more than $20,000 (price of the VC Overseas).

I do not like the design of the Aquanaut, Polo S, or Fusion. I was just checking the Royal Oak 37mm (I did not realize AP made a unisex size). When I first saw the Royal Oak I thought the design was absolutely hideous. However, the more photos I have seen of it browsing this website, the more I am warming to it. I will certainly be visiting an AP store in the future.

Once again, thank you.

#6 ·
I thought the Royal Oak was hideous at first. Then some pictures caught my eyes. Saw it in person and was blown away.

My wrist is also 6.25" but fairly flat. I think the marine fit me but those lugs did get close to the edge of my limit.

If you want bracelet, AP and VC are well regarded in that department. With your wrist size, I fear that the overseas is too large.

Blancpain is releasing a 38.5mm bathyscaphe in blue at Basel I believe. They also have the Lemen which I believe is also smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#7 ·
I thought the Royal Oak was hideous at first. Then some pictures caught my eyes. Saw it in person and was blown away.

My wrist is also 6.25" but fairly flat. I think the marine fit me but those lugs did get close to the edge of my limit.

If you want bracelet, AP and VC are well regarded in that department. With your wrist size, I fear that the overseas is too large.

Blancpain is releasing a 38.5mm bathyscaphe in blue at Basel I believe. They also have the Lemen which I believe is also smaller.

I am in no rush, so I have plenty of time to decide and then rethink my decision :)

There is something about a Royal Oak (and congrats on your new piece!). Unfortunately, no AD in my city, but once again no rush.

If I remember correctly the Marine just fit me but it was the absolutely limit. However, the lugs looked way too big and the strap was on the last notch. I am hoping that the bracelet version will integrate the lugs more seamlessly.

I also fear that the Overseas is too large.

#8 ·
^^^ If you found the Marine to be at the cusp of acceptable size, then the Overseas will certainly feel too big, I agree.

#10 ·
I understand "basic three hander" (gotcha) and your wrist size constraint, but "sports watch" means different things to different people. How robust to water does it need to be? What about shock and vibration? Is case marring ruggedness important? What about night time visibility? The typical names such as AP Royal Oak, Breguet Marine, PP Nautilus (or an Aquanaut) and VC Overseas will be of course mentioned. Depending on the above, I might recommend one or these OR NOT. Factory watches by IWC, Omega, Rolex or others might be more appropriate suggestions. If you better define what is important to you, a suggestion might be easier.

If everything goes to plan I will be picking up a Breguet Classique 5930 this weekend. As such, my attention is turning to my next watch (which will not be purchased for a number of years, but I like having a goal). I would like a high-end sport watch, something like the Breguet Marine or VC Overseas (latest model); a "basic" three-hander. While the Marine is too big for my wrist on a strap, I would like to try it on a bracelet to see if it is a better fit. I am also looking forward to trying on the VC Overseas (although from what I gather it may be too large for my wrist).

As such, what similar watches are suitable for people like me with small wrists?

Edit: I should add I am not interested in purchasing a Rolex.

#11 ·
Excellent points. I was just using "sports watch" to mean just something in the realm of a Royal Oak, Breguet Marine or VC Overseas. I was uncertain myself what to call such watches. Basically, a general daily wearing watch for someone who spends most of his time at a computer.

I already have an Omega De Ville (bracelet) and a Grand Seiko GMT that are my daily wearers. I am most likely looking for a more high-end version of such watches. Sorry if this is vague, I am just trying to formulate my own thoughts.

#13 ·
What does "more high-end" mean to you in a sports watch? Your reference is an APRO, so why not just buy an AP 15450 or 15202 (more of a dress watch in my opinion), a Breguet 5817 (on rubber, not bracelet) or perhaps a PP 5710 or 5167? I suspect the VC Overseas will wear larger. You also might take a look at the new 38 mm ceramic BP Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe as well (probably not available until later this year.).

BTW, is a hacking movement important to you?

#17 ·
Maybe find a new grey market if you want the breguet marine. The resale drops by half out the door. Also that picture is the old bracelet. They changed it a while ago.

I have seen the new bracelet on Breguet's website.

I never sell my watches, so if I buy one it is for life.

#20 ·
If everything goes to plan I will be picking up a Breguet Classique 5930 this weekend. As such, my attention is turning to my next watch ....
Oh, lord. One fancy watch hasn't even arrived and you're already thinking about the next. The "bug" bit you bad, didn't it? LOL

All the best.

Reactions: Nietzsche_Darko
#24 ·
TJMike;38957426[B said:
]The strap change aside, there is nothing special about the Overseas, but it is special. It stays in one's mind. [/B]Moreover, you do not need another watch, but...
This. Exactly this.

While i do not regret my choice of the RO over the Overseas, i knew as soon as i left the dealer with the RO on my wrist that i would be tempted to come back for the Overseas.

I only need 2-3 more watches: a Lange, an Overseas and maybe a Blancpain. Then i am done. Truly. ;)

Reactions: omeglycine
#25 ·
I will try one on this weekend and I am sure I will try to convince myself it is not too large for my wrist :) Too tell you the truth, even if it is slightly large I may well still purchase it down the line. While I want a dress watch to be a perfect fit, I do not mind if something like the Overseas wears large.

#26 ·
^^^ Makes sense. Same reason I picked the RO 15400 over the Aquanaut and the 15202: the last two seemed a little too dainty and dressy. The 15400 has good wrist presence on my 6.75" wrist without being excessively large.

I keep coming back to the Overseas as well. Although the Bulgari Octo Retrograde just caught my eye earlier today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
^^^ Makes sense. Same reason I picked the RO 15400 over the Aquanaut and the 15202: the last two seemed a little too dainty and dressy. The 15400 has good wrist presence on my 6.75" wrist without being excessively large.

I keep coming back to the Overseas as well. Although the Bulgari Octo Retrograde just caught my eye earlier today.

Something always catches your eye!

#29 ·
The watch in question:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Strap

Yeah, you are right - the fact that it is an unusual design always runs the risk that one might get bored with it. And even though i am getting a pretty healthy discount off MRP, it is still too tidy an amount to spend on a novelty watch (atleast for me).

But damn - look at it. That design is awesome. This would actually replace the Cartier in my collection, if i get it. And i really am very tempted...

But sorry, i am starting to take your thread OT and my apologies for that.

Reactions: tony20009
#30 ·
The watch in question:
View attachment 10960818

Yeah, you are right - the fact that it is an unusual design always runs the risk that one might get bored with it. And even though i am getting a pretty healthy discount off MRP, it is still too tidy an amount to spend on a novelty watch (atleast for me).

But damn - look at it. That design is awesome. This would actually replace the Cartier in my collection, if i get it. And i really am very tempted...

But sorry, i am starting to take your thread OT and my apologies for that.
I much prefer your Cartier. Then again, it is your wrist and your money. Although if it was me I would wait at least a week before pulling the trigger.

#31 ·
Oh, i have atleast a month-long cooling off period and i need my watch budget to replenish, which may take time (my bikes and camera gear both need upgrades). Which is good, really - of my candidates, the only one that makes my heart beat fast is the new Lange 1815 Annual Calendar, and pricing info for that will only be available in May. I also have ordered a rubber strap for my Breguet, and that may scratch the Overseas itch.

It's nice to plan and dream, though. And you are right - the Bulgari may not survive the cooling off period - its too much of a novelty for a watch that is still going to be 5 figures after discount.

Reactions: TJMike
#32 ·
My Overseas itch is getting worse; so looking forward to trying one one. If it fits I am toying with the idea of getting it now and a dress watch down the line. However, considering I want a Breguet and they are seemingly getting rid of their smaller sizes, I am getting a very good deal from the AD, and as I can only afford one luxury watch in the foreseeable future I want it to be a dress watch, the Breguet 5930 is still a front-runner. Not helping matters was the damn courier damaging the package the 5930 was in (as well as eight other watches). The watch will now not arrive until next week at the earliest. It gives me more time to re-question my decision.

#33 ·
I really think a Breguet would be a better option for you. Even at 39mm with bigger lugs, i think it will wear better than an Overseas. And even the Breguet sports watches are classy enough to fit all but the most rigorous definition of dress watch.

Is buying used an option? They are great value used.

#40 ·
I own own a Breguet Marine/SS/rubber strap..39mm The only thing that knocks it out of the "dressy" role is the rubber strap.

another poster, Spangles? Put his on leather and it looks " suitable for dressy" to me.

I think you you mentioned that the date bothered you on the new 37 Blancpain FF but i think that's a really handsome watch in a size that will fit you well.

l

#34 ·
The only thing I buy used are old books.

You may well be right about the Breguet. If the store can not get in the 5930, I will see if they can get a Marine on a bracelet. On the rubber it fit on the last notch; it ruined the aesthetics.

As for the Overseas, it does not look to much bigger than my GS (see attached). The GS has a 40mm dial, 13mm thick, and 46mm lug to lug. Of course I will only know about how well the Overseas will fit when I try it on.

Attachments

#36 ·
I would bet that the Overseas will fit better than your GS. I have a Snowflake, and while it fits just fine on me, it definitely feels considerably thicker than the VC, which of course it is. My Marine, despite being 11.85mm thick, seems thinner than the VC (which is actually only 11mm) due to the way lugs, bracelet and bezel work together. This is why you always have to try things on.

#43 · (Edited)
I tried on the Overseas today. The watch completely blew me away. It was so damn breathtaking. And to cap it off, it fit like a charm. I love the watch so much that I am buying it. There will be no Breguet dress watch for me for the foreseeable future. Indeed, there will be no other watch for the foreseeable future. The Overseas completes my collection.

Some photos (edit: no idea why one photo rotated sideways and they are so damn big):
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Hair Fashion accessory Black hair Shoe Hair coloring

#46 ·
I tried on the Overseas today. The watch completely blew me away. It was so damn breathtaking. And to cap it off, it fit like a charm. I love the watch so much that I am buying it. There will be no Breguet dress watch for me for the foreseeable future. Indeed, there will be no other watch for the foreseeable future. The Overseas completes my collection.

Some photos (edit: no idea why one photo rotated sideways and they are so damn big):
View attachment 10990498 View attachment 10990530
Enabling mission accomplished. [emoji6]

It doesn't look too big for you at all, looks great (although obviously I'm biased). Congrats, this one is versatile, comfortable, and beautiful.

Don't be afraid to try the other straps, they really change the watch's character. The rubber strap is very comfortable and dresses it down a lot. I haven't used the leather because I have enough dress watches, but with that one on, it will dress up to the hilt.

Enjoy!

#44 ·
That looks damn good. Did you pick it up yet?

And every damn wrist shot I see of the Overseas is pushing me towards it. *sigh*

Reactions: TJMike
#45 ·
That looks damn good. Did you pick it up yet?

And every damn wrist shot I see of the Overseas is pushing me towards it. *sigh*

I pick it up next Saturday; I deliberately left my card at home. Seriously, the photos do not do the watch an ounce of justice. The dial is mesmerizing. I went in thinking that the watch is good. When I left my heart was racing. All thoughts of buying another watch were gone. I had to have the Overseas. All hyperbole aside, it is the watch the completes my collection.

#47 ·
Congrats!! Always a nice feeling when you find The Watch.

And that's amazing willpower. I'd be in the shop doing a wire transfer just so i could walk out with the watch, rather than wait a week. :)

Reactions: schrop and TJMike
#48 ·
Congrats Mike on finding something that really has captured your heart - but before committing to it just yet, see if you can view the previous gen model (47040), unless the quick strap change mechanism is an absolutely must-have feature.
Even if you like the display back to view the rotor and various elements of finishing, how often will (do) you bother with it (on your other watches)?
For me, the 47040 is a better looking watch, even with the date display at the 4:30 position, and with a couple of decent screwdrivers, you can swap straps 'til your heart's content.
I prefer the bezel design more, and the raised relief on the case back is a novel departure from the ubiquitous display back, which is a novelty during the honeymoon period of a new purchase, but then rapidly declines to being given a second's thought - a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

My favourite 47040 - the Deep Stream, with its finely textured titanium bezel offering a nice contrast than the typical (boring?) polished steel type.

#50 ·
Thanks for the congrats and your post; I appreciate it.

The 4070 is a great watch. However, I prefer the current model. I really do not like the date at the 4.20 position; I could never get past that. My Grand Seiko has a display back; I look at it at least once every day that I am wearing the watch. The strap-change feature is not a must have but an added bonus. I could see myself swapping the bracelet for the leather strap on more formal occasions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.