WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Vacheron Constantin, Overseas Chrono, a good beater?

12K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  1afc 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been considering a good beater watch which I can wear on weekends and beach holidays, etc. I currently have an ALS Time Zone, IWC Portugese Auto, Franck Muller Conq, Cartier Pasha Chrono and Rolex Datejust.

I know Rolex is a good place to start but the only one I really like is the new Yatchmaster which is gold, so sort of defeats the purpose of a beater. I like the IWC aquatimer charles darwin, but when I tried it on I didn't fall in love with it.

I am now considering a VC overseas chrono on a rubber strap, VC49150000A-9745. I love the blue dial and I don't own a VC so would be a nice addition.

I wanted to ask any current owners what their experince has been with this watch and also is it a true beater. I do frequent the beach often and wanted asomething I don't have to take off for the pool or for a dip in the sea.

Thank you in advance for your comments and I am attaching a pic at the end.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's a beautiful watch, but the WR is not really consistent with what you'd want for constant water usage, and the polishing lends itself easier to scratches than a lot of other watches. Besides that, can anything in the 15k range really be considered a 'beater?'

If it were me, I'd go stainless and something with great WR. You said you didn't see any Rolex that really sang to you, but how about the new Omega Seamaster 300 or even their new Spectre Edition 300. Not necessarily HEW material, but great WR, a great movement, and a really nice looking watch. Throw it on their in house nato and go wild. Or, if you want something that is more in line with the HEW forum, go for a Blancpain Bathyscaphe Crono in SS. You get a beautiful meteor grey dial, and an overall phenomenal look with a brushed finish that will be a bit less likely to show accumulated scratches. You also get a flyback complication and the ability to use the chrono pushers at depth (which is in itself, quite impressive).

You can't go wrong with the VC, but for me, it is definitely not a 'beater.' I would probably go with the Blancpain, and have a long term keeper. You could even go real wild and find their Ocean Commitment LE, and get your blue dial to boot.

#4 ·
You could use a VC overseas as a beater but getting one without a bracelet and you are missing (arguably) the nicest thing about the watch. If I opted for one on a bracelet then I probably wouldn't want to ruin the stunning finish playing extreme Frisbee or deep sea crab fishing or other beach related activities.
My take on it is that it is perfectly suited to the G-Forces experienced when rapidly moving one's arm to consume cocktails.
My Rolex has certainly taken a beating in the last 2 years but still looks good, PCLs and all. They may be suited to the job but if they don't speak to you then I would get something else.
From what has been said above, and in other posts, I'd go for a BP or Breguet Marine or Type XX

#5 ·
Well, I've always considered the Overseas to be VC's "beater" line. Faraday cage and 150m WR are helpful, plus they are unique and IMHO stylish watches. Here are a few pics to confirm. Alas, the current model is just too big for my skinny wrist :-( I sincerely hope that SIHH will reveal a smaller case size with the promised re-design...

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory
Snow Winter Geological phenomenon Fun Footwear
Recreation
Fashion accessory Glove Wrist Hand Sportswear
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

#9 ·
Since you were interested in the IWC chrono, and mentioned liking blue, did you consider an IWC Aquatimer Jacques Cousteau?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Or even the older non-chrono :

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#11 ·
Hi guys,

I've been considering a good beater watch which I can wear on weekends and beach holidays, etc. I currently have an ALS Time Zone, IWC Portugese Auto, Franck Muller Conq, Cartier Pasha Chrono and Rolex Datejust.

I know Rolex is a good place to start but the only one I really like is the new Yatchmaster which is gold, so sort of defeats the purpose of a beater. I like the IWC aquatimer charles darwin, but when I tried it on I didn't fall in love with it.

I am now considering a VC overseas chrono on a rubber strap, VC49150000A-9745. I love the blue dial and I don't own a VC so would be a nice addition.

I wanted to ask any current owners what their experince has been with this watch and also is it a true beater. I do frequent the beach often and wanted something I don't have to take off for the pool or for a dip in the sea.

Thank you in advance for your comments and I am attaching a pic at the end.
I've worn an Overseas chrono almost daily for two years and even though I was very far from obsessively careful it held up admirably - I got hardly any scratches on either the case or the bezel, some normal swirls on the buckle and the watch still looked pretty much new. However: mine was the Titanium slate dial version, not the blue dial one you mentioned and I wore it on the rubber strap so I didn't have to worry about messing up the finish on the bracelet. Unless you much prefer the blue dial over slate, I'd recommend the Titanium (Deep Stream) version, the titanium bezel does an amazing job of hiding scuffs and is almost impossible to ding and scratch during normal use.

The finish of the Titanium hides pretty much any marks. The geometry of the case and bezel protects the stainless steel case and the only parts that get a bit of scuffing (very minimal, the brushed finish hides it well) are the lugs. I've since traded the Deep Stream chrono for a silver dial version on a bracelet and even though I haven't worn it yet (and may not wear it at all since my RO 15400 fills that niche nicely) from what I can see the polished steel bezel will not be quite as scratch and scuff resistant as the Titanium one. The metal bracelet should hold out well but it will inevitably pick up marks and unlike the rubber strap would need to be minded a bit more.

Overall, I found the Deep Stream Overseas, particularly on the rubber strap, to be an exceptional hassle-free watch for someone who doesn't want to agonize over potential marks and signs of use. It definitely is a far better choice from that point of view than a Royal Oak for example - the hard angles and plenty of high shine polish surface are far more susceptible to picking up marks. And, of course, the Overseas should be safer around water with its much higher water resistance rating. It's also magnetically shielded which is a bonus in today's world.

If you decide to pick up the blue dial Overseas, I'd consider getting the one with the metal bracelet and buying the matching rubber strap and deployant later, it will cost a lot less and will give you the best of both worlds. The Titanium version doesn't come on a bracelet unfortunately but the included rubber and alligator straps are superb, the rubber one is by far the most comfortable option and the deployant is smooth, presize and easy to use one-handed.

As to whether to get a VC or a Rolex, it's a matter of personal preference as well as other considerations (service costs, potential for loosing or damaging the watch etc.) but I'd choose a VC every day of the week and twice on Sunday, it's a lot more unique (everybody and their grandma has a Rolex or a similar looking watch), much more elegant in my opinion and with its water resistance and magnetic sheilding - a very practical and versatile one. More so the Titanium version.

Oh, and I know you have your sights on the chrono but I'd also not dismiss the dual time version with its arguably a lot more practical and useful complications (sadly no big date though).

#12 ·
Thank you for detailed comments. Very helpful, although now you have me slightly confused between the two models. However, I am still a little partial towards the blue dial.

As for Rolex, it just doesn't appeal to me. There is a all black "treated" submariner which looked nice, but I think I like the Overseas chrono a lot more.

#14 ·
Yes I have read that recently. The new one will be announced early next year and most likely not in stores till mid of 2016 at the earliest. Also with the new in house movement the company might change the price bracket of the watch. I'm tempted by the new one but if I really like what they do with it I guess I can always flip this one.

#15 ·
Some people could afford to wipe their asses with $100 bills, but I would argue that good ol' toilet paper does a better job of it.

Similarly, a nice watch like an Overseas Chrono could be used as a beater, but (i) what a waste! and (ii) even a G-Shock (or, if you must absolutely waste your money on your beater, a Rolex) would do a better job of it...

#16 ·
The term "beater" is probably used somewhat loosely here. I hesitate to call my Overseas a beater but writing "a great everyday watch that's not ridiculously fragile to an extent that I have to constantly worry about scuffing it and while busy doing that I can't really enjoy the watch as much as I should considering the price I paid" takes too long :)

#18 · (Edited)
I have the titanium anthracite dial and went out a purchased an OEM bracelet. After a few days with the included strap-- I tried on the bracelet and have not gone back. . I have to admit I don't wear as often as I expected I would but I still think it is a very nice piece. I don't have any issue wearing during the weekend with shorts and routine around the house or travel but I have not taken it into the water and prefer not too. I have a pool and wear it when hanging out there but not when swimming. IF i am going to the beach or water swimming I have a Sinn UTC 856 that I wear.

I decided to go with the VC Overseas Chrono on my wrist today.. Still really love it.. Not sure i justify keeping it through because of low wear frequency. I did sell another piece for the same reason and miss it from time to time

#20 · (Edited)
I think it is a fine watch for everyday use. Or at least everyday use for my lifestyle. I wear mine quite often and it is holding up nicely. That being said, if you have service done by VC it is very expensive. The service for my 42042 (Overseas Chronometer) cost me nearly $2K, but that watch also needed a new clasp, which was around $1K.

I happen to be wearing mine today. I am very fond of this watch. I really like the bracelet on the current model, but the size is a bit too big for my tastes. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new model will be like.

#22 ·
I think best beaters in the luxury watch world are Rolexes and Omegas. They are built very robust (with the usage of a lot of technology and machinery), easily serviceable and with acceptable costs. Their service intervals are longer than many high-end watches to begin with, in-house Omegas give you 4 years of warranty.

I own a Planet Ocean and love it as my beater. I didn't like Rolexes as much, however, after seeing the Batman (GMT Master II), I might consider one day. It's not a water-themed Rolex, but it's WR to 100m. The blue/black bezel is just gorgeous. Maybe worth checking it out as your daily beater.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#26 ·
Superb choice! I prefer the big date as well, saves having to wear my glasses ;-) The new OS chronograph has not gone down in size although the Manufacture caliber 5200, at 13 1/4 lignes and 6.60 mm thickness, left plenty of room to slim down had they wished too. Doesn't seem the trend has caught on this year.

Thanks for all the feedback. Ended up pulling the trigger on the VC, and finally received it this week. Not a huge fan of the awkward date placement on the new redesigned model they just announced, so I'm happy with the one I got!

View attachment 6776506

#25 ·
The whole concept of a $15k watch as a "beater" is a little ludicrous. As an everyday watch that can be worn with most activities, fine, it will work perfectly. When you do an extreme sport, why would you want to put the watch at risk? The fact that you are asking the question, suggests that you already have doubts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.