WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which Watch Brands Belong in the High-End Forum? Which Ones Do Not?

185K views 656 replies 154 participants last post by  WTSP 
#1 ·
doesn't it seem like there are certain brands that are brought up here, but should not be?

is TAG Heuer a "high-end" watch? i like omega, but is it "high-end"? i have an IWC, but i don't think i would consider it high-end.

i wouldn't expect any arguing about Lange or Patek. any others?

just interested to see what brands people think belong or don't belong here.

#422 ·
I'm surprised that girard perregaux has not been mentioned more in this thread. They are an old company, have in house movements and fix and finish are superb. I would put them in the top end category.

#431 ·
People in this thread are trying to decide which watches are high end before defining what high end means, a true opportunity for pointless argument.

I figure we have

1. High End - Expensive

2. High End - Rare/Unique

3. High End - Technically

4. High End - Quality

Almost all the brands talked about in this thread as high end fall into one of the 4 types, with many into two or more.

Perhaps it complicates it to have a watch thats from a manufacturer who meets none of the 4 but makes one model which meets all 4.

In addition this is a knowlegeable persons assesment, if one was to ask the average man in the street any watch over 1k would be high end !

#433 · (Edited)
To prove how subjective and unresolvable the OP's question really is, I bet we can keep this thread going for another year! How long can a dog chase it's tail? Anyway, not to be accused of a drive-by fruiting, I'd like to wish everyone a happy holiday season and may you find peace with your choices :)

#438 ·
If you can follow this train of thought, all aboard!:

First we must examine the term high-end and the underlying meaning.

According to Webster, High-end = "Upscale" or "of superior quality or sophistication and usually high in price".

Next we must examine "upscale". Upscale = relating to, being, or appealing to affluent customers.

The definition of "affluent" is having a great deal of money.

So far we have determined that the "upscale" meaning of "high-end" is that it costs a great deal of money.

On to the next part..."Superior quality". Superior by definition = "situated higher up".
Sophistication = "becoming more complex or developed".

**RESULTS**

We have found, based on the above definitions and logic that a high end watch must :

-appeal to people with a great deal of money

AND/OR

- Unquestioned higher regarded watch quality and workmanship than most others

AND/OR

-Includes complications or is more developed functionally than most others

Finally, a high-end watch SHOULD be High end in price.

I hope I could help to break this down for you guys.

Thanks!

J

#439 ·
Okay, very new to horologie and only recently made my first "big boy" watch purchase - a JLC Master Compressor Memovox - after much research and consideration as to when and how often I'd wear it. My question vis a vis this thread is that I'm curious where the main contributors view Linde Werdelin? I've seen them mentioned in passing, but not specifically addressed...I love the detail in the cases and I'm considering one for a primary sport watch...appreciate your thoughts...

#441 ·
Crunchy,

You may want to re-think this...... are you talking new or used......are you talking real world prices or MSRP?

A new Rolex, under $10k is limited to like... maybe one model (Have not priced them in a while) and they are really not in the top tier for 'high end'

I think you would be better off going $15k-$20k is you want a baseline.

Just my two cents.

#443 ·
Check out swatch group's own classification.

http://www.swatchgroup.com/en/brands_and_companies/watches_and_jewelry/prestige_and_luxury_range

Even omega is a "prestige brand." Owning a prestige brand in the omega world is like flying first/biz class. You get real priviledges such as jumping the queues in services centers and basically better service.

$10k would be higher priced than most basic omega models, but lesser than their more higher end gold pieces. $15k-20k will be too high, resulting in a very quiet forum for say 200 people.

Some companies like IWC produce a range. From basic models to super high end grand complications. Having a price cut off will take care of that.

With regards to breguet, JLC etc having pieces less than $10k, most of their collection is above $10k, so it will take care of that as well.

There is probably no "correct" number to balance between so many different factors. Using a round number like 10k is also easier to remember and nicer to say.

Of course I'm talking about MSRP as it is the only non-arbitrary pricing benchmark, effectively providing watches that cost 20-30% under 10k in street prices entry into the high end forum.

#444 ·
Sorry, but price-tag often times has very little to do with actual quality. There are plenty of watches from recognized High-End brands that do indeed cost less than $10,000. While there are also plenty of vomit-inducing monstrosities that go far north of six figures. Doesn't make those watches High-End. Just makes their owners clueless and tasteless.

#445 ·
18-months long, 9-pages and 446 posts later the conversation continues...:)

If one thinks that they will get an answer to a posted question or elicit a conversation on a subject that they are interested in and that this forum will provide a better vehicle, by all means post it here. Sometimes you will be right and some times you will be wrong. I view forums not so much by the watches or watch brands that are discussed but more by the knowledge of those who regularly participate and the likelihood of my desired result. I have posted duplicate postings both here and the Public forum. You would be amazed at the differences in the answers.

My $.02

#446 ·
I can't believe this one is still going too.

Some random thoughts -

1. This is the 'high-end watch' forum, not the high-end brand forum

2. It's really all in the eye of the beholder, if you don't think a certain watch is worthy, then don't read the thread.

3. Does the $$ cutoffs proposed include tax? Because then certain watches would be considered high-end in some jurisdictions and not others? ;)

#447 · (Edited)
I guess it's just an effort to have some parameters. I like the idea of having clear objective guidelines so there is no way to confusion. Unfortunately it's no possible when the issue in question is "subjective". This is like trying to apply objective rules to something that is essentially a subjective call.
Believe me If I can come with something close (approximation to such parameters) that can work, I'll post it.
In the meantime this will have to do.:-(

#448 ·
I believe a parameter needs to be decided since this forum gets very quiet (doesn't matter what it is). That revue thommen thread which was moved is a good example of having parameters that will help the forum instead of arbitrary.

#449 ·
Agree, but brand or retail prices don't give us a clear cut then I am clueless on what other parameters can be used?:-s
The only 6 brands that everybody would agree are definitely high-end are: PP,AP,VC,Breguet,ALS and JLC. And even on those 6 that to me it shouldn't be an argument IMHO, I might get replies saying I am wrong:-s
Can't win ah.. o|

#452 ·
Some one somewhere published his criteria which if memory serves goes something like this. Hand assembled and finished, small annual output measured in the under ten thousand pieces a year. A movement with a real pedigree and significant innovative contributions to horological aims. Long history and present management or owner ship still in the family. Recognizable high quality workmanship by the finest watch makers in the country. There were a couple others which I don't remember, but the advantage of this system is it will not preclude high end watches from companies which make watches in several price ranges but will weed out several watches which are really mass produced such as your average rollex or average seiko, both these companies however make watches that should be included in your high end watch group.
Brand name chauvinism is alive and well and I have no axe to grind with those who will only wear a recognized high end brand name but for we watch lovers I think we should avoid this. A grand seiko is still a high end watch even if it says seiko on the dial. In every respect it fits the category. There are others as well. If we are interested in high end watches lets not wear blinders and lets find the best we can out there. Of course there are many independent watch makers making suburb pieces which also get lost it the rhetoric.
A high end watch then is simple. Its a watch that approaches the limits or stretches the limits of horological knowledge and present fit finish and materials which are demonstrably better than the also rans.
John aka bosjohn

#456 ·
According to recent replies, yes.

Setting a simple number for something such as this is too simple a solution.

there are plenty of Panerai watches that eclipse the 10k mark, and I wouldn't consider them high end end compared to most of the others.

for example, take one of their simple watches, and slap titanium on it. The difference in type of metal shouldn't be enough to Pitt it over into "high end" as we are suggesting. It's an expensive tool watch.

before any panerai lovers draw issue with my comment, I do own a panerai. It is not a precision instrument. (And yes, I realize they make a tourbillon even)

#463 ·
Value of diamonds on a watch is like 250-500$ at best.

Diamonds add no real value to a watch. But retailers cash in on them.

diamonds are one of the least resaleable of precious metals and stones to come out of the earth due to good marketing and etc.

if you like diamonds on a watch, go ahead and get them, if you don't like them, don't get them as they will not increase the value of a product beyond a few dollars.

#464 ·
Did anyone in the thread say that they like diamonds on their watches?

Value of diamonds on a watch is like 250-500$ at best.

Diamonds add no real value to a watch. But retailers cash in on them.

diamonds are one of the least resaleable of precious metals and stones to come out of the earth due to good marketing and etc.

if you like diamonds on a watch, go ahead and get them, if you don't like them, don't get them as they will not increase the value of a product beyond a few dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.