WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which Watch Brands Belong in the High-End Forum? Which Ones Do Not?

185K views 656 replies 154 participants last post by  WTSP 
#1 ·
doesn't it seem like there are certain brands that are brought up here, but should not be?

is TAG Heuer a "high-end" watch? i like omega, but is it "high-end"? i have an IWC, but i don't think i would consider it high-end.

i wouldn't expect any arguing about Lange or Patek. any others?

just interested to see what brands people think belong or don't belong here.

#470 ·
After reading a large majority of this thread I have come to realize that most of the posts are from people saying 1.)I think brand/watch "x" is high end purely because they own that watch and want it to be considered that way, Or 2.)Do you think Brand/Watch "x" is considered high end purely because they hope someone will say yes and help validate their piece. There are certainly a lot of people that want their watch to be high end without spending the necessary amount to get there. While not every costly watch is high end every high end watch is costly. IMO if you didnt spend 15k+ on your watch then there is no reason to even ask if its high end.

To me there are only 5 brands that as a whole are considered high end because every piece they make fits that bill: PP, VC, AP, Lang and BD. Every other brand out there makes either no high end, or a few (or sometimes just one) high end watches.

So this forum fits for any PP, VC, AP, Lang and BD, but no other complete brand. Only select watches. If your watch wasn't from one of the latter brands and you want to ask if its "high end" IMO you can save yourself a post if you didnt spend 15k+ on it.

Might rub some people the wrong way, but the high end line needs to be drawn on an objective not subject ground.

Perhaps this forum would hold more integrity as "15k plus watches" ? It would certainly limit the debate, and at the very least help keep this section less diluted. :-d

#471 ·
After reading a large majority of this thread I have come to realize that most of the posts are from people saying 1.)I think brand/watch "x" is high end purely because they own that watch and want it to be considered that way, Or 2.)Do you think Brand/Watch "x" is considered high end purely because they hope someone will say yes and help validate their piece. There are certainly a lot of people that want their watch to be high end without spending the necessary amount to get there. While not every costly watch is high end every high end watch is costly. IMO if you didnt spend 15k+ on your watch then there is no reason to even ask if its high end.
Several respected members have already demonstrated that a truly high-end watch can be had below $15,000. Have demonstrated that a big sticker price slapped on a watch doesn't automatically mean that said timepiece is actually high-end. But if one chooses to ignore that fact and throw their money away in the mistaken belief that that is the only way to get a high-end watch, oh well . . . That's their decision.

Reactions: drhr
#478 ·
Typo...i was typing with one thumb while killing time to board a plane. It was meant to be BP. Lange was a typo too.

Again, im not saying putting a 15k (or any price) is a 100% sure way to determine high end, but rather it would just eliminate a huge amount of brands and watches that shouldn't be in here.

#479 ·
Typo...i was typing with one thumb while killing time to board a plane. It was meant to be BP. Lange was a typo too.

Again, im not saying putting a 15k (or any price) is a 100% sure way to determine high end, but rather it would just eliminate a huge amount of brands and watches that shouldn't be in here.
Well but we don't have a lot of traffic on this forum to begin with so maybe fewer discussions would just make things boring.

#481 ·
yep that's why I leave most forums... it's like "search" is completely out of some people's thought process and too many people desperately seeking approvals of others...

it's same in computer forums, mobile forums, car forums... after a year or two, it gets stale with same old topics/questions by similar people going around in circles.

#489 ·
Once again, with most items, yes.

With watches, my experience has shown that particular guideline doesn't apply. When you have so many exceptions to a particular rule (or guideline) you eventually get to the point when said rule or guideline simply doesn't apply.

Welcome to the insane world of high-end watches.

#490 ·
yeah, trying to define high-end watch BRAND is completely pointless. The world has changed and companies lean towards higher sales than exclusivity. Therefore, many brands are trying and definitely do make items that are suitable from average Joe to billionaire Joe.

For some Brands, there is a clear distinction whether it's high-end or not. For many watch brands out there, it's bit unclear as their watches will vary - like Omega for example, they make cheapish quartz watches but they can also produce top of the line watches like their Skeleton Tourbillon.

And although price has relevance especially for pieces that cost over $20000, but from about $8000-$15000, it does get bit muddled...

Reactions: Monocrom
#492 ·
Excellent point. Another issue . . . When you have individuals such as Prince William and Joe Biden known for wearing quartz Omega SMPs, it makes such timepieces more desirable. Not high-end. But definitely more desirable.

#493 ·
Yep. and Desirability doesn't always mean High-End. And with most cases, people will buy something because they desire it, not purely because they think it's a high end brand/item.

I think a true watch collector needs to break away from this notion of tiers and levels and stuff. Like and admire watches for that they are..

John Mayer, probably the biggest watch collector that I know of, has $20 million worth of watches. His favourite, he says, is G-Shock Frogman.
Each brand has its own merits (sure, some more than others) but people like different things. That's what makes these kind of hobbies interesting. It'd be so boring if everyone liked same watches and everyone had same watches...

#495 ·
I just jumped around the many pages of this thread and it was a very interesting read. I think when there are 50+ pages of responses, two things should become clear from the opinions presented:

1. Every watch, regardless of price or intended function, has its place and its own reasons for appreciation. There's as much a need in the watch world for a G-Shock as a Calatrava.

2. There are brands that, are beyond reproach in their quality, heritage, and prestige. I won't list them here, as this half a dozen or so manufacturers have been mentioned enough already.

The reason this forum exists is to honor and enjoy the finest time pieces available, not to belittle other brands or their customers.

I own an Omega. Its a great watch that I can wear anywhere with any band and enjoy it. However, I'm not going to pretend that it belongs in the "High End Forum." It is a modest watch, appropriate for my age and income level and I am happy to have it. However, I wish to own a truly high end watch someday and I regard it as something to mark a special occasion or an achievement. A "High End Watch," to me, should not only keep time, but should also be used to remember the past.

Anyways, there's my $0.02, cast into the fountain with the opinions of everyone else involved in this thread.

#504 ·
I tried a GS on once before (mind you, very hard to come by in Australia) and it felt less refined than what I imagined it to be.. I didn't like the feeling of the bracelet or the weight of the watch. I sort of didn't like the fact that it had no drama. This is the best watch Seiko makes and other than the badge, there is nothing else hinting at this. I was pretty disenchanted by the first encounter.

Considering that I could've got a Navitimer 01 with the asking price and in my books, Navi 01 rates higher than GS for several reasons. But I do not consider Navi 01 a high end watch, therefore GS is not high end in my books.

#514 ·
I do not think that a watch is less high end just because it has poor resale value. Resale is merely an indication of the popularity among the general public. A rolex and omega scores well in resale, but pale in comparison to a breguet or a vacheron in aspects that defines 'a high end watch'

#515 · (Edited)
I should have stated that I believe this should be one of the factors for making them high end. Sorry to mislead. I would say that your examples Breguet and Vacheron pale in comparison only because the general population just don't know what they are. Therefore I believe Rolex and Omega for your examples will have a MUCH larger audience for resale. This very much plays a factor in their popularity.

#516 ·
I would think that resale value has some correlation with a lot of factors, such as perceived quality, reliability, serviceability, popularity, etc.
So when you are comparing two similar brands like VC and Lange and one has a better resale value (I don't know if this is true or not), that brand deserves some points.

#521 ·
I have to agree that re-sale value is one indicator of what category a brand belongs in. Not the only one. But certainly one of them. Rather tough to say a watch is a luxury or high-end model if the pre-owned market is 40% or even 50% below that of new. This is a big issue with Raymond Weil that ironically makes them very good values on the pre-owned market, while a new one isn't worth it with a sizeable discount thrown in.

#522 ·
Someone said to me before, don't make your final decision based on resale value but always consider it a factor because if one day you look back and say " What the heck I was thinking when I expend all this money on watches" Then at least you have the ability to get a good percentage of that money back.

#524 ·
lol, so the discussion going towards resale value now?

So can G-shocks be in the high end forum? I've sold few of my g-bangers at close to 80% of my purchase prices :p

And just regarding Parmigiani, their movement and craftsmanship aren't too far off Patek. Just as a reference note, while I was in Korea at the end of last year, Parmigiani was the only brand which I had to make an appointment to see their watches. Also, Michael Parmigiani is the head of Patek Museum and in charge of restoring their vintage pieces. I don't think Patek would entrust that with any ol' watchmaker.

#525 ·
lol, so the discussion going towards resale value now?

So can G-shocks be in the high end forum? I've sold few of my g-bangers at close to 80% of my purchase prices :p

And just regarding Parmigiani, their movement and craftsmanship aren't too far off Patek. Just as a reference note, while I was in Korea at the end of last year, Parmigiani was the only brand which I had to make an appointment to see their watches. Also, Michael Parmigiani is the head of Patek Museum and in charge of restoring their vintage pieces. I don't think Patek would entrust that with any ol' watchmaker.
He makes some pretty watches. I didn't know this info about him.

As far as resale i only believe it's part of the big picture.

High end watches are art. They speak to the person and say buy me. Not unlike a Picasso or Mirp .They all have their place in someones collection.

I wouldn't spend 3 million on a Picasso knowing it may drop to $100k one day guaranteed either.

So resale will play into some purchases for me on expensive watches, not $5k pieces. I know those won't.

#530 · (Edited)
While I will most likely never own a Rolex I wish I had something from one of my Grandpas. So cool. I hope my kids pass my watches down in the years I am gone to their kids. So COOL!!!
I didn't doubt it at all. I know of very few people who are into high-end watches who bash Rolex; that sort of thing seems to be more of the calling card of the uninitiated.

Saying they're not high-end is definitely no insult, either. They're instead an example of mass production with clever design and superb quality control. That's why their relationship with high-end makers is complementary rather than adversarial, since most watch nuts are likely to appreciate and want examples of both styles.
I don't speak too highly of Rolex very often. I think their advertising and general public perception really puts me off of them. I do like 3 or 4 of them. Nothing against their mechanicals. I just wish Rolex was written much smaller on them or on the back. :)

#529 ·
I didn't doubt it at all. I know of very few people who are into high-end watches who bash Rolex; that sort of thing seems to be more of the calling card of the uninitiated.

Saying they're not high-end is definitely no insult, either. They're instead an example of mass production with clever design and superb quality control. That's why their relationship with high-end makers is complementary rather than adversarial, since most watch nuts are likely to appreciate and want examples of both styles.

#532 ·
I consider Daytona a high end piece. But that's where it stops as far as Rolex watches go.

I don't mind the aggressive nature of Rolex's marketing strategies.. In some ways I respect it as their marketing strategies clearly works. It's the average Rolex owners that turns me off that brand - much like your average Tag owners:-x

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.