WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What am I doing wrong? I want a Philippe Dufour watch!

52K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  gangrel 
#1 ·
This was a good year for my entrance into collecting. I bought my wife a Patek Philippe 4506, and I just acquired a Panerai 351. I now desire a Philippe Dufour. I have e-mail Mr. Dufour's shop several times explaining I really loved the Simplicity and would love to purchase something similar if they will be making it, or if not, what will he be producing. I do understand the price range. The e-mail came back from Mrs. Dufour thanking me for the inquery, but Simplicity is not available anymore. I sent 3 more requesting the models available, I heard nothing back, I sent another stating I would be happy to wire a healthy deposit to their account, still nothing. What can I do? I called the shop 2 times and did not get an answer. Please tell me what my next step should be. I am still 50/50 weather I will be keeping the watch or giving it as a gift to my father in law who as a blue collar union man his whole life nearing retirement, has lusted at Philippe Dufours watches for the past 15 years, and thought he would never have one. Please help me. Suggestions? I am not BS'ing here. Thanks

#2 ·
seems like your only option is to buy second hand. if you were told he's not making any more then he's not making any more. harassing them won't help. the demand for dufour's watches far outweigh the supply, so the reality is he probably has a waiting list all the way to retirement if he does decide to make them again. and if he was working on a new model and wanted to sell you one you'd know about it.

#3 ·
Don't we all!...

As you probably know, the Simplicity is limited to 200 pieces. They pre-sold within a very short time of being released and people have been waiting up to 5 years (so far) for delivery. Because the numbers are non-sequential it is not possible to be certain how many have been completed, but presumably until 'the end is in sight' no new model will be announced. Having said that - maybe this could be the year! Preference will probably then go to previous customers, with a large number allocated to the Japanese market which was so supportive of M. Dufour originally.

Very occasionally you may see one on the secondary market. You have a much better chance, though, finding a Voutilainen or even a Roger Smith 'pre-loved'.

If you find one, keep it. Give your father in law a clock - let's face it, what did he ever give you???? :):):)

Good luck in the hunt.

Cheers,
pplater.

#4 · (Edited)
Suggestions? I am not BS'ing here. Thanks
I knew that you were serious as soon as you mentioned the Patek Philippe that you bought your wife.

I agree with the suggestion to acquire the watch from a fellow collector. Undoubtedly, a watch like the Simplicity will have been lovingly cared for and may be found in mint or near-mint condition.

I realize that time may be of the essence becuase of the impending retirement of your father-in-law, but the time and effort that you put into the hunt will make it all the more gratifying when you do capture your grail.

Best wishes,
Packleader

#5 ·
Good to see that money can't "buy anything". Are your CERTAIN that a blue collar father-in-law would actually WANT it? Maybe he would rather have a hunting rifle. I agree with others. You have already gotten your reply. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that the reply is any less valid nor that you will be able to "influence" his production with any type volume of $$$s.

Reactions: knezz
#7 ·
Honestly, going from a Patek 4506 and a Panerai 351 to a Philippe Dufour Simplicity is just a huge leap in terms of price, but far more importantly, horological sophistication. An independent watchmaker like Philippe Dufour is in a position to choose his buyers, to ensure that watches are sold only to established collectors with truly significant collections. You have been repeatedly, and politely rebuffed from your efforts to purchase it directly from him, and I don't think pressing the issue is going to change anything.

Reactions: MZhammer
#9 ·
I remain baffled at this aversion to bumping old threads simply because it's, well, old. From this old bumped thread I just learned abut and research Philippe Dufour watches. Didn't know a thing about them. Thanks, year old bumper!

#12 ·
I find it hilarious that a 'blue-collar union man' would lust after any symbol of wealth, when the principle of being in a union is anathema to anything remotely related to achievement, wealth, self-starting, independence, and reward for a job well done. Sorry, I have to stop typing now; my union boss is telling me I have to take my break, otherwise, my hard work will make everyone else look bad.

#26 ·
I know for certain that ALS finishes both sides of their movement parts equally. You cannot tell the difference between front and back (or so they say). Then again...they are pure movement makers and thats all they do. I know FPJ finishes both sides of plate but not sure about the gears and same applies to patek.

#27 ·
Glashutte Original is the only high-end watch brand that is purported to finish the components in their entry-level watches asymmetrically depending on whether it is caseback side or dial side.

Reactions: AbuKalb93
#40 · (Edited)
Well it's made me spend an hour researching and learning about a man/brand than I've only heard of maybe once or twice and only now taken the time to discover more about him/it.

Edit: I too would've like to have known if a Dufour was ever sourced in way way or another.

#39 ·
^^^POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reactions: phunky_monkey
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.