WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

56K views 324 replies 223 participants last post by  SethThomas 
#1 ·
I just don't feel comfy telling anyone that I spent over 10k+ on a watch, including my own family..... Is there a way to diffuse this? This happens often at poker tables, and yesterday my neighbor and I were chatting and she said she spent $2k on a watch and her husband freaked out, then she asked me how much mine was.... I deflected, distracted and left....

#89 ·
I don't have any high end watches, but for a graduate student at a non-target school I own some decent watches. I always tell people more than a hamburger and less than a car. For nice watches you could say more than a hamburger less than a house. It is kind of my way of saying none of your business, and answering at the same time.

#90 ·
I don't have any high end watches, but for a graduate student at a non-target school I own some decent watches. I always tell people more than a hamburger and less than a car. For nice watches you could say more than a hamburger less than a house. It is kind of my way of saying none of your business, and answering at the same time.
Yeah, well, once your degree starts paying off, you may find yourself having to use the second aphorism. <winks>

All the best as you complete your studies and beyond.

P.S.
What's a "non-target school?"

#93 ·
"I'd rather not say."

The only thing I've seen in this thread that might divert me from that would be the one just above: More than a hamburger and less than a house. I like that a lot.

Lies, even white ones, require too much psychic energy, not to mention a better memory than I have. Also, perhaps more to the point, if I lie, I have allowed another person's rudeness to create a burden for me. That's just not right.

#101 ·
Well I am new to the watch collecting world and haven't gotten to the point of buying more expensive (more then $500) watches yet so haven't ran across this, but I do get asked about my car. I usually just say "more then I wanted to" which is always true lol

#109 ·
One answer I have yet to hear on this thread is something Dear Abby (US newspaper advice columnist) frequently suggested as the perfect reply to rude questions, "Why do you ask?"

I don't remember her reply to dolts who continue to press the issue after hearing that, but I'm sure it was a doozy!

#110 ·
I just say "I don't know how much it cost I took it off a Deadman"

Reactions: DrGonzo
#117 ·
Ahhh ok, generally childhood friends, mostly the ones asking for money. And highschool, I went to boarding school so we tended to get real close, and college friends who distanced themselves when they saw I was doing better then them.

It follows a line I heard somewhere, your friends are always thrilled to see you do well, but never like to see you do better then them.

Reactions: Paper clip
#121 ·
I've had a couple instances at work where someone would would ask the price of a watch I was wearing, with what I perceived as a derisive tone. The most recent time this happened, I was wearing a Rolex. I provided a non-specific answer to the question. My solution to this issue is a simple one. I make certain I wear properly tailored long sleeve shirts that completely cover my watches. My interest in collecting fine watches is solely for my own enjoyment, and I have no interest in displaying them to anyone other than another collector.

#139 · (Edited)
At Christmas time I do my own jingle if they ask me "how much did it cost" , optional is pointing at your watch and mentioning how expensive their cell phone is :D (if you know your co-workers well ) :)

At the first month of savings I had to sacrifice for thee,
1 really nice pair of cufflinks.

At the second month of savings, I had to sacrifice for thee,
2 coffees

At the third month of savings, I had to sacrifice for thee,
3 really nice vacations in a warm country :(

At the fourth month of savings I had to sacrifice for thee,
4 beater watches

etc.

I forgot to add, you can also add a "true love" corus part, with
"My true love gave to me, +/- 0.1 seconds accuracy"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.