WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

56K views 324 replies 223 participants last post by  SethThomas 
#1 ·
I just don't feel comfy telling anyone that I spent over 10k+ on a watch, including my own family..... Is there a way to diffuse this? This happens often at poker tables, and yesterday my neighbor and I were chatting and she said she spent $2k on a watch and her husband freaked out, then she asked me how much mine was.... I deflected, distracted and left....

#204 ·
I will talk what I paid with two people. One is my wife because we share a bank account and she will find out. The other is my brother who is also interested in watches. I don’t want to get into the whole ‘I cannot believe you paid X’ discussion with people generally.

#208 ·
If I'm not comfortable sharing the number, I often say something like "about half as much as our last vacation to _____."

It frames the watch purchase as discretionary, yes, but not any more inherently extravagant, logically speaking, as going on a nice trip. And since nearly everyone understands the concept of spending money on a nice trip somewhere, it helps them "get it."

#210 · (Edited)
I agree with those who replied, if a person asks you that question then he or she is not into watches and probably very cheap or not on your level financially. If someone asks me that, I'm gonna look 'em right in their face and tell 'em exactly how much it costs. What's gonna happen?, life's too short to worry about how someone is gonna feel about the price of your lovely timepiece!

#214 ·
I don't actually think I've come across anyone who has asked me outright how much any of my watches have cost. However, I usually respond with something along the lines of, "a little bit of my savings" or something ambiguous. People who know watches will know how much things cost, and everyone else can think whatever they want to think

#217 ·
You need to throttle back on the TGV videos, bro... ;)

When I'm asked this question, I always say "Enough."

#219 ·
It's pretty funny because it never happened to me in the past few years, and then within the last 2 weeks, it happened twice !
I honestly just dismissed the question but two different scenarios happened:
- the first person looked up the watch online after I gave him to look at it;
- the second person (he was a cashier at CVS) was pretty insistent, and was asking for a range. He was like "so, like $100? or maybe a couple of hundreds?", and I could just mutter with a visibly embarrassed smile "yeah something like that".
The worst is that in both cases those persons ended up taking pictures of the watch to look up the model later on. They definitely found out.

So, my evasive techniques didn't work, and I guess I should have just lied bluntly at first. My attitude probably just made them more curious and they ended up finding out.

#228 ·
I almost always say ‘enough’ unless they’re a close friend or family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#232 ·

So many watches, So little time...
Lol this is exactly what I've done in the past when people asked me - even my wife hahah!

Has worked for the moment!

#235 ·
It's happened to me a couple times in the past year. Once in a McDonald's, and once at a Gas Station. In both situations I said "Thanks, I got it for $80, it's fake."

They kill people on the streets for sneakers or Canada Goose jackets, can you imagine what they'd do for high-end watch?

#237 ·
This is a good suggestion. I usually say something quasi sarcastic along the "less than my ex-wife" lines," (despite not having an ex-wife), but I recently had a friend who was stabbed to dealt which has actually made me a bit more reluctant to wear my higher end pieces at night, etc. In this day and age you really can't be too careful. Thanks for the tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.