WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

56K views 324 replies 223 participants last post by  SethThomas 
#1 ·
I just don't feel comfy telling anyone that I spent over 10k+ on a watch, including my own family..... Is there a way to diffuse this? This happens often at poker tables, and yesterday my neighbor and I were chatting and she said she spent $2k on a watch and her husband freaked out, then she asked me how much mine was.... I deflected, distracted and left....

#242 ·
I'm not sure it's ONLY the high figure that is the problem. Maybe a little of it is that people are judging you based on how much you spent for anything, if it seems inappropriate. I'm a board game hobbyist. If I told you that I paid $300 for a kickstarter for a boardgame, or that some games had a retail price of $1000 or that I ended up paying way more than $1000 on Star Trek Attack Wing minis and cards (over a couple of years), you might think I'm crazy ... and I am.

Or if you didn't know how much cameras cost these days at the high end, and I told you I once paid $6000 (used) for a camera, again you might think I'm crazy. if you were "in the hobby" you might not think so because you know how much things cost.

I do think though that people don't generally have friends who are so far above them financially that they live in fear of having to ... say... pick up a check at the kind of restaurant their friend might take them to. That's a problem for sure. I had a cousin who owned a restaurant chain. We didn't see her too often and when we did, she didn't really spend much time with us. Maybe after a while she thought people were always uncomfortable around her or maybe always wanting something from her. I think it could work against the relationship from both sides.

Kind of makes me not want to buy really expensive watches. Most so far has been $750 with a deposit on a $1200 one. Even the $1200 is likely to be greeted with incredulity in an age where a $10 quartz watch can outperform it on an accuracy duel. It used to be that my Mom had a reason to buy a Bulova Accutron for my dad because he was an Air Force navigator and he needed the accuracy. But now no-one really needs a watch for it's utility typically -- even dive watches have been mostly supplanted by dive computers. Only James Bond needs a watch that shoots lasers and zip lines!

#244 ·
I don’t see it as a rude question per se, but it would depend on the persons intentions. I’m happy being able to explain how I did my research, looked at buying in an AD, on the grey market, or pre-owned, and how I decided on which way to go. Several of my hobbies are a mystery to the lay person and most have no idea what a good watch, a nice print, or a collectible statue are worth. So you get use to appreciating what you enjoy and not worrying about others opinions.

#249 ·
I think its pretty rude to ask, if someone buys a nice omega or hamilton for example(as its happened) i never ask. If they want to volunteer the cost, thats their choice. I dont own an expensive watch, but would feel uncomfortable saying the cost if i did. I think people are too quick to judge, be it $2000 or $20,000. The latter...... rich guy or crazy , unless your into watches(if asking they probably are not as should know anyway) they will think crazy! .

So if someone did ask, i would say sorry not sure, it was a gift. If a close friend who i trust, then i would be comfortable telling them the cost and where from.

#254 ·
There’s literally only 2 reasons someone would ask you how much your watch costs, (1) they know you’re a watch guy or (2) they’re also a watch person.

Answer to (1) is a million dollars, because anything over $100 to a non-watch person seems excessive anyway, might as well go big...and for (2) the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#264 ·
Watch people know the price. I got into a wonderful conversation with a guy sitting next to my wife and I at a restaurant while waiting at the bar for a table. I was wearing the 2k watch and he was wearing a Royal Oak. I never asked the price because I knew (I suddenly feel like Hyman Roth talking time Michael Corleone). If they are watch enthusiasts, they wouldn’t ask the price. If I owned a watch that was more than $5k , “it was a gift.”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.