WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

56K views 324 replies 223 participants last post by  SethThomas 
#1 ·
I just don't feel comfy telling anyone that I spent over 10k+ on a watch, including my own family..... Is there a way to diffuse this? This happens often at poker tables, and yesterday my neighbor and I were chatting and she said she spent $2k on a watch and her husband freaked out, then she asked me how much mine was.... I deflected, distracted and left....

#266 ·
Hahah. I love this. Ironically, most fall into the non-watch-person bucket, and as such, they don't tend to notice the watches I'm most self conscious (price-wise) about. I feel much more comfortable wearing my AP or Bvlgari or higher end Omegas where optics are sensitive than I do any of my Rolexes. In my experience, for non-watch folks, Rolex>all else. I've only ever received fellow watch-nerd comments on my AP et al. Since they already know the price, they don't ask. All others have literally never commented on any of my watches except my Rolexes.**

**with the exception of my PloProf for which someone asked me if it was a Fossil and my Grey Side of the Moon, for which a random person just comment that they thought the face was pretty. No price inquiries on either.

That all being said, I get TONS of "how much did that cost" questions about my cars, particularly my McLaren 675LT. Such an odd question. They're usually phrased as "how much did you pay for that?" Regardless, my response is always the same: "Enough".

#267 · (Edited)
As far as I'm concerned, the only reason someone would ask something ridiculous like how much it costs is if they intend to steal it.

You can't say it's a fake, because then they might say ask to see it up close, and you're screwed if you refuse.

Therefore the only acceptable answer is:

"Less than the .45 strapped to my hip"

#272 ·
To me it is more how you'd answer rather than the actual cost. If you answer it openly, friendly and with emphasis on you just giving buying a nice watch a priority I think it's no problem to tell the true price. Most everyone can afford an "expensive" watch. BTW, what is "expensive" exactly? Is it >5K, >10K, >20K, >50K, etc..? It still is less than a house or a good sports car. Or even a new truck these days, with exception of real collectible watches going for few hundred Ks, it is just a matter of a priority to buy one.
So what is a problem?

#276 ·
Good question. I have a nice vehicle. I started a job where many of the people didn't have nice cars. The first thing that was asked was "how much was that?" In fact, a contractor was working on a building and he even asked. I refused to tell them, except the contractor because I wasn't going to see him all the time. I just got a nice watch and the only one I told how much (well, ball park) was my mom. It's an uncomfortable feeling being asked that question.

#277 ·
Yes, the only time I've gotten this question related to a car as well. "Uncomfortable" is a good description. I just said "Too much" and smiled, then escaped. But I've only ever gotten one comment about a watch I was wearing, and it wasn't how much it cost. The irony is I was wearing a very inexpensive piece. Maybe no one notices because my nicest watches are all under the radar--not a yellow or rose gold in the bunch. White gold (not to mention platinum) are invisible unless you run into another watch person.

#280 ·
"If sir has to ask, sir cannot afford it."

If it's good enough for Harrods, it's good enough for me!

#287 ·
For me, I am with most of the replies. It is totally situational.
I would never tell my Mom...proooobably would fib a bit to my Wife, but she knows not to ask.
If I am in watch people company I crow like a rooster, and to a general acquaintance I tell them what they are, not what they cost.
If its a stranger I say its Fake as Furrk. I'll sell it to you for 50.

#292 ·
I usually tell my immediate family about how much I spend on my watches, but when it comes to extended family I just smile and deflect.

"I definitely paid more than I should have"

And leave it as that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.