WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What do you say when someone asks "Nice watch, how much did it cost"?

56K views 324 replies 223 participants last post by  SethThomas 
#1 ·
I just don't feel comfy telling anyone that I spent over 10k+ on a watch, including my own family..... Is there a way to diffuse this? This happens often at poker tables, and yesterday my neighbor and I were chatting and she said she spent $2k on a watch and her husband freaked out, then she asked me how much mine was.... I deflected, distracted and left....

#296 ·
I just said, not too much!

#306 ·
If its a friend I say “more than you can afford buddy” lol. If its a stranger or at work I say “it was alot” if they insist I say “I dont remember”. Most “normal”people consider a $200 watch to be expensive, if I tell them I spent $3,500 on an omega they’ll lose their minds lol. Besides I hate it when you tell people how much it actually costs and they hit you with the “that looks like it cost no more than $150”.

#307 ·
Extremely loaded question. I got my younger cousin into the hobby around 4 years ago so I always tell him the truth. He thinks I'm crazy to even think about spending 5 figures on a watch. For him, anything over 5K is too much money. So whenever I do buy a new piece and he asks, I tell him exactly how much I paid. Because he tells me the same. We each buy 1 new watch every year. My parents & sister know about my addiction and totally understand. :) I do not go out to clubs or restaurants or really buy myself anything besides my basic necessities. So I rarely run into strangers. I have a few friends that are trying to get into the hobby so if they sincerely ask I'll tell them. It is really easy to save money if you don't go out to eat or frequent bars or just spend money on disposable technology. I still have a 3-year-old phone. I have a 5-year-old car. Everything I own is paid for. I stay away from credit card debt. I'm in no way wealthy or "rich." I learned how to save early in my 20s due to losing my job, getting divorced, and losing my house. Life is a cruel mistress. My only true vice would be spending money on obviously overpriced watches. My answer to anyone that I don't know asking me how much did my watch cost would be "not much." Recently a few years ago I stopped wearing my crappy Rolex's. They were getting too much attention. Even though they are horrible watches. I have decided to gift them to my nephew and daughter whenever they graduate high school.

Reactions: ynp and eesh
#322 ·
Seriously the audacity of some people. They are not friends just undercover haters. I remember meeting up a friend for lunch & wearing my Marine 5817. He sees it & goes "that's fake, you are too broke to afford that." I just smiled & replied "yeah, ok." That was the last time I ever talked to him.

Reactions: olske59 and Dan GSR
#320 ·
How very rude!! A gentleman will never enquire of the price, especially from a stranger.

And like the others I have never had anyone ask me, people really arnt interested in watches, it’s just us guys.

Reactions: blakestarhtown
#321 ·
I have a colleague who asked that question once. I was stupid enough to lie that my watch was a good fake and that I had bought the piece in Thailand.

After that I had to spend some of my vacation time in Bangkok looking for a fake watch for him. To be honest, it was fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.