Anniversary Clock Project

Thread: Anniversary Clock Project

Anniversary Clock Project

I was given this Kieninger & Obergfell (Kundo) Anniversary Clock. It was in non-running condition, but I replaced the suspension spring (analogous to the hairspring in a watch) so it runs now. It runs very slow, however, but I'm using the regulating knob on the oscillating pendulum to try to get it somewhat regulated.

What I have determined is that it is very critical that these clocks be very carefully leveled in order for them to run at all. Usually these clocks are supplied with a leveling base with three thumbscrew leveling feet, but this one didn't. Currently I have it shimmed up with a short stack of Post-It notes, but I would like to have something more sophisticated.

Does anyone know if there is something ready-made for this? Any ideas on how to make one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Anniversary Clock Project

I don't know of a premade base. Should be easy to fashion one from wood or meta stock and brass thumb screws. Here's a helpful link for 400 day restorers. Lovely dial on your clock.

Repair the 400 day Anniversary style clock. : Clockworks
    Last edited by John MS; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:06.

Thanks.

This clock was purchased as a gift for our mother by my older brother when he was a seaman on the USS Leyte CV-32 during it's Mediterranean cruise. This cruise was interrupted when the Korean War heated up, and the ship was dispatched to the Pacific to take part in operations there. At the time the Leyte was largely equipped with propeller-driven aircraft, mainly the F4U Corsairs and the F8F Bearcats, although they did have a squadron of the F9F Panther jet fighters on board. During this cruise, the Navy's first African-American carrier-qualified fighter pilot, Ensign Jesse Brown as on board, but was killed when his Corsair was has hit by ground fire an was forced to crash land. This was during the Chosin Reservoir encirclement. One of his squadron mates received the Medal of Honor when he crash-landed his Corsair next to Jesse Brown's to try to extricate Brown from the wreckage. My brother stayed with the ship until it returned to the US, where it was converted for anti-submarine duties. So this clock has a little sentimental family history value.

I still have some issues to work out. It will run for days, then go through a spell where it simply stops several times an hour. I may try lubricating it, but I wonder about the mainspring - the family member who passed it own to me stated that he thought he may have overwound it.
    Last edited by tpelle; 2 Weeks Ago at 14:22.

Gummy dried oil can cause what you are experiencing. Chances are good that it needs to be disassembled, cleaned and re-lubricated. Be careful with that main spring as it can do some damage if not controlled. Here is some useful information from another company.

Page 5

Thread Information