Russian MIG cockpit clock operation
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Russian MIG cockpit clock operation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some time ago I purchased a military surplus cockpit clock supposedly of the type used in Russian MIG's in the '70's and '80's. With no instructions and lots of functions, I set it aside somewhat frustrated I could not seem to figure it out. Well, I thought I would throw it back on eBay from whence it came, but gave it one more look and did some internet searching for information. I am glad I did because I now have it operating perfectly and have created a one page photo/operation sheet that might be of interest to anyone else who owns one of these or is thinking of getting one.

As best I could determine, this mechanical/wind up clock was made by Russia's Molnija Military Watch Factory and was based on a copy of a Jaeger-LeCoultre design. I guess if you are going to make a copy, go in style!

It works perfectly and I am delighted with it now I know how to operate it. Hope the following is helpful to others who own one of these.

cheers,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by IndianaRog; April 22nd, 2012 at 19:47.

Re: Russian MIG cockpit clock operation

Good info. I've been wondering how loud these clocks are.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient_mariner View Post
    Good info. I've been wondering how loud these clocks are.
    These MIG/aviation clocks are "pleasantly loud". I am sitting about 24 inches from it and can clearly hear the tick, tick, tick...something I love about it honestly.

Attaching another photo...this one of a Jaeger clock upon which the Russian version is supposedly based...significant similarity for sure!

cheers,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRog View Post
    These MIG/aviation clocks are "pleasantly loud". I am sitting about 24 inches from it and can clearly hear the tick, tick, tick...something I love about it honestly.

Roger
    that LOUD sound is very distinctive from Molnija... something that we all Molnija owners love!!! my Molnija 3602 is very loud as well.

Name:  C&B_5.JPG
Views: 3524
Size:  678.1 KB

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRog View Post
    Some time ago I purchased a military surplus cockpit clock supposedly of the type used in Russian MIG's in the '70's and '80's. With no instructions and lots of functions, I set it aside somewhat frustrated I could not seem to figure it out. Well, I thought I would throw it back on eBay from whence it came, but gave it one more look and did some internet searching for information. I am glad I did because I now have it operating perfectly and have created a one page photo/operation sheet that might be of interest to anyone else who owns one of these or is thinking of getting one.

As best I could determine, this mechanical/wind up clock was made by Russia's Molnija Military Watch Factory and was based on a copy of a Jaeger-LeCoultre design. I guess if you are going to make a copy, go in style!

It works perfectly and I am delighted with it now I know how to operate it. Hope the following is helpful to others who own one of these.

cheers,
    Roger

Roger,
    Great clock! I've been seeing more of these and I like them. Could you tell me where you got yours and at what cost?
    Breitling Galactic Chronograph
    Tudor Heritage Chronograph
    Tudor Black Bay Blue
    Seiko Marinemaster
    Nixon Corporal
    Citizen Aqualand
    G-Shock 6900-1289
    Hidden Content

Misterpeter

You can find these mostly on Ebay. I paid mine about 100€ or so, five years ago, from Ukrainia if my memory's right.
    There was some strange way to pay the seller, with a third party service, Protek, because Paypal wouldn't work in his country.
    I was scared, their postal service is VERY slow, and almost 2 months after I paid him, I eventually got the clock.
    Last edited by Misterpeter; September 28th, 2012 at 23:03.

Thanks IndianRog - I was looking to get one and was wondering how to operate it!!
    How big is this? Scale is difficult to guess.
    Also, how so you use it / display it?

Hey! How long does it run on a single wind? I know it says 2 days, but exactly how long? Does it last beyond 2 says at all? Over a weekend without wind?

Golden shovel for me but I just record this and I want to share :)

An old thread I know but I've just discovered these and your instructions were very useful.

Mine came out of a Russian Yak

A lume shot of my recent entry into the world of mechanical clocks. Yes this is my 1st mechanical clock. Love it

Name:  IMG_20170626_195846.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  513.1 KB

BTW Are these easy to date? or do you need to take the back off
    Last edited by humphrj; July 9th, 2017 at 17:36.
    soaking.fused likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information