Emergency Frequency Change?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Emergency Frequency Change?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Emergency Frequency Change?

There seems to be a slow change in the current emergency frequency to 406 Mhz from 121.5 Mhz. Now this may eventually pose a problem for all us emergency owners. Anyone heard anything from Breitling on how they plan to tackle this predicament?

I was told from a ex-Breitling employee, Robert Graziano (I dunno if anyone here knows him), that Breitling will be recalling all their watches and changing the distress frequency. Can anyone verify this and can does anyone have any idea when they plan to do so? I kind of figured they wouldn't do this till everything was set in stone regarding the frequency change. As of now, according to Transport Canada, they are going to keep both 406 Mhz and 121.5 Mhz. But I can bet that will eventually change.

So for now everything's still kosher but who knows for how long?

*By the way heres the amendment from TC regarding the new emergency frequency

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/Re...03/2003313.htm

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: Emergency Frequency Change?

This comes up here about every three months or so, for the last 2 years.

The emergency frequency in North American civil aviation is 121.5 mhz (243 mhz for US Military). I've never seen a civilian aircraft set up to receive 406mhz. Newer ELT's and PLB's are set for 406 mhz, and this will be monitored by satellite. In the not too distant future, the satellites will cease monitoring 121.5 mhz (current plan AFAIK). Aircraft will still use 121.5, and will still also monitor it.

While a Breitling Emergency at 406 mhz does sound appealing, from what I've heard, it is not yet feasable to make a suitable transmitter of that size for that frequency. A recall by Breitling? Complete news to me, how reliable are the facts of this former employee? (My information is becomming a bit dated, and there may certainly be new developements I have not heard about).
    Regards, T Bone.

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Well like i said he is a ex.Breitling sales agent for the Eastern United States if I can remember correctly. From what he told me it sounded like he was pretty deep in the company as they were flying him back and forth from HQ. Again don't take what I said in stone though.

Ok, lets try and get this straight.

For any rescue there are generally three phases.

1)ALERT
    2)LOCATION
    3)RESCUE

It is true that Cospas Sarsat will stop monitoring the 121.5 frequency from Feb 2009. All this will mean is that SARSAT will not play any part within the ALERT phase of the rescue.

However, Breitling have never claimed that the 121.5 Emergency plays any part within the "SARSAT ALERT PHASE".

The 121.5 is purley for localization of the rescue and it will continue to be the most accurate way of doing this. For this reason the 406mhz beacons in fact will operate of two frequencies (406/121.5).

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL 12
    Ok, lets try and get this straight.

For any rescue there are generally three phases.

1)ALERT
    2)LOCATION
    3)RESCUE

It is true that Cospas Sarsat will stop monitoring the 121.5 frequency from Feb 2009. All this will mean is that SARSAT will not play any part within the ALERT phase of the rescue.

However, Breitling have never claimed that the 121.5 Emergency plays any part within the "SARSAT ALERT PHASE".

The 121.5 is purley for localization of the rescue and it will continue to be the most accurate way of doing this. For this reason the 406mhz beacons in fact will operate of two frequencies (406/121.5).
    good to know.

As T Bone pointed out already, this subject has been discussed several times in the past.

In a (probably vain) effort to answer if for once and for all, here is what information Breitling distributed to their authorized dealers a few months back:

and

In view of this statement, I find it doubtful that Breitling would recall and modify all "Emergency" models.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Kurt Koerfgen; October 25th, 2006 at 13:18.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Thank you for that Kurt. A mod should make this a sticky as it is fairly important news, otherwise people are going to keep asking. If I saw it as a sticky on the top I wouldn't have asked it.

Quote Originally Posted by msayewich
    Thank you for that Kurt. A mod should make this a sticky as it is fairly important news, otherwise people are going to keep asking. If I saw it as a sticky on the top I wouldn't have asked it.

That's a great idea!

Done!!
    (I guess, SnapIT beat me to it.)

Thank you.
    Last edited by Kurt Koerfgen; October 26th, 2006 at 18:18.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Is there any information when or even if this new transmitter (frequency) actually is built in to new Emergencies?
    Is it possible to fit in such a transmitter in this small device?
    Last edited by chaan; January 19th, 2007 at 10:06.

Thanks for this info.
    It was only whilst searching for this sort of info that I actually found this forum.
    Whilst I'm here I'd like to make a couple of comments:

Firstly, I think any Emergency owner should receive commission for all the sales we generate. Since I've had mine at least two of my buddies have bought Emergencies and just last week, whilst in the US visiting some very adventurous friends, the parents decided that it would be good for the whole family to get them. They are extreme sports nuts and climb, ski, trek etc etc in many far flung places and all as a family.

Every where I go my watch attracts attention, and the look on peoples faces when I explain what the watch does is simply one of incredularity.

This is the second Emergency I've had, the first one on loan from Breitling themselves, which I regretted giving back immensely.

Watches are my only true vice and several years back I bought myself a beautiful, 18k Blue Faced Submariner, which I adore. However, I honestly don't think I've worn it for at least 12 months. This is purely due to my over protective attitude towards it.

I specifically bought the Emergency as an everyday robust watch with a magic 'umbrella' for that rainy day that I hope never comes.

I've read a few posts on here about its robustness etc and can testify that I treat mine very poorly. Swimming, skiiing, sports etc etc. and I never give it a second thought. As far as I'm concerned the titanium aspect of it makes me feel its indestructable. That said, it looks like the day I bought it. Which I bet wouldn't have been the case with my over protective attitude and my Sub.

All things said and done, I respect the watch and its capabilities and can never see me wearing anything else ever.

A sports watch that creates more interest than a Rolex and yet one that one day may help save my life or one of my loved ones is reason enough.

p.s. for the record, its Orange faced with the regular Titanium bracelet that I swapped out on the day I bought for the Black rubber divers strap.

Thanks for the useful and interesting info on here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information