Swapping straps & bracelets...
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By O2AFAC67

Thread: Swapping straps & bracelets...

Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Swapping straps & bracelets...

is a great way to increase enjoyment of your Breitling watch. The following information will hopefully encourage the reader to try the procedure for him/herself...

These are original Breitling strap and bracelet springbars. Sorry for the lack of detail but if you look close you can see a conical point on the bracelet springbar. This is to help guide it into the inner interhorn holes while CAREFULLY attaching the bracelet. Notice it also has a chamfered shoulder on the outside diameter of the barrel. This is to help position the springbar tool (Please do NOT use a small screwdriver as a springbar tool unless you like scratches and gouges on the case and interhorns.) onto the springbar shaft for insertion into the interhorn hole. (Note: the Bergeon 6111 has removable tips for both types of springbars and is the perfect tool IMO. Link to a source is here: http://lonestarwatches.com/accessories.htm? ) The strap springbar doesn't need this chamfered shoulder because the springbar tool bit is more of a notched "shovel" as opposed to a sharp "fork" for the bracelet springbar tool bit. You can use the bracelet springbar for strap attachment but it is unwise to use strap springbars for bracelet installation because of the likelihood of slippage and scratching. Please don't trust a jeweler or anyone who does'nt know the difference between springbars. EDIT: Recent information shows the part number to be 520.XX for the strap springbar and part number 520.XX.1 for the bracelet springbar. The ""XX" is the interhorn width (22=22mm such as on the standard Navitimer). I hope this helps clear up some confusion for those of you who would like to swap between straps and bracelets. Two or more watches for the price of one! To illustrate the difference...

Every Breitling wtih its original bracelet has the springbars as shown on the right in those two pics. Every strap I have (7 at this time and 7 bracelets as well) has the springbars illustrated on the left. In addition to all of the 22mm springbars I have I also have packages of 15mm, 16mm, and 18mm springbars for my family's Breitlings. All of them are exactly the same for bracelet and exactly the same for strap. Their watches all were originally equipped with "Pilot" bracelets and all configurations concurr when straps were ordered and/or added. I have a Breitling Authorized Service center here which will corroborate this information because that is where I received and validated it. That is also where I was shown how to properly adjust a Breitling bracelet by "biasing" the links to the North side of the watch which ergonomically balances the deployant clasp correctly. Here are examples of correctly balanced Navitimer and Fighter bracelets...

Old Nav/Cosmo bracelet on the Old Navitimer...

874A bracelet on the B-1...

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Ron
    Last edited by O2AFAC67; November 27th, 2014 at 04:26.
    kleinbus likes this.
    Hidden Content
    " The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea " Hidden Content

Click to view: Hidden Content or... Hidden Content or... Hidden Content

Thread Information