WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The "What Time Is It?" project

14K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  Don Indiano 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I thought of the ultimate watch collector dream... having an endless collection, where every minute of the day could be displayed on a different timepiece.

Of course this would be extremely hard to accomplish in the real world...
on the Internet, however, it is more realistic.

That's why I started the "What Time Is It?" project, which goal is to show one picture per minute, with a random "nice" watch displaying the current hours and minutes.

For instance, at 10:37, this could be something like:

... or any other 10:37 picture that our watch community could wish to share. This would be one of the biggest slideshows ever. :p
Sounds crazy? Hey, the data base has been set up, and just needs thousands of pictures to get going!

Point your browser to What Time Is It? to check it out, around 10:10 for instance...

For now, the default picture appears most of the time (only 4% of the minutes of the day are covered) -- but the point is to see more of everyone's watches.
So, just pick some of your good shots, fill in the short description, and add them to the list!

Thanks for your help...

Don
(still in awe of the potential of this new toy :))

See less See more
#27 ·
Unfortunately, now the site has stopped the upload process to handle all the incoming requests b-)
Oh my God! :-!
I thought that limit would not be reached! And I was wrong! o| (note: max used to be 50, now just changed to 100)

Many thanks for your superb job, my good friend!! Those pictures are now enlisted into the Breitling and IWC ranks, and ready to fire at any minute of the day :-d

And of course, you are now very welcome to carry on with the upload!
Thanks again (and congrats on the Ingenieur -- your latest acquisition, I suppose?)

Have a nice Sunday,
Don

#29 ·
Oh my God! :-!
I thought that limit would not be reached! And I was wrong! o| (note: max used to be 50, now just changed to 100)

Many thanks for your superb job, my good friend!! Those pictures are now enlisted into the Breitling and IWC ranks, and ready to fire at any minute of the day :-d

And of course, you are now very welcome to carry on with the upload!
Thanks again (and congrats on the Ingenieur -- your latest acquisition, I suppose?)
I am glad to contribute and you have done a great job on the application! As for the Ingenieur: I have it for about a year now. The chronological order is:

Breitling Navitimer
Breitling B-1 with UTC
IWC St Exupéry Chrono
IWC Portuguese Automatic
IWC Ingenieur
Breitling Cosmonaute & IWC Big Pilot (arrived on the same day!)
IWC Aquatimer Split Minute.

As you can see, I still have a few pictures to go. I don't think I will reach the limit of 100 tonight though b-)

Kind regards,

Cinq

#31 ·
Wow, that is one nice stable. I should probably hang out on the IWC forum more ;-)
And of course, I can't wait to see the rest!
Hi Don,

I've added about thirty others, that's about my entire collection of pictures where the time is really good to read. I almost never set the time to the famous 'ten past ten' setting when taking pictures, that's why I have quite a lot of different times on them :-!

I did already see a few of my pictures showing, big fun :-!

Are you going to announce this application in other parts of this Forum too?

Kind regards,

Cinq

#32 ·
Hello Cinq,

that is fantastic! Many thanks for all the nice pics, as well as for finding the time to upload them. :thanks

Cinq said:
Are you going to announce this application in other parts of this Forum too?
Hmm... just one, for the moment: I have sent a notice to the High End Watches forum, and the data base received many great additions since; but the Breitling forum feels like home and carries such a sense of friendship, and I'm jut not as over-confident about posting in other places. :roll:
(Breitling watches are great but have worthy alternatives; but the Breitling folks, from my experience, they are simply in a league of their own! :-! )

But if you feel like posting a link to a forum that you enjoy -- please do, every publicity is welcome!
Now 1/3 of all the pictures are entered, the slideshow is getting more and more enjoyable each day. :p

Cheers, my good friend.

Don

#33 ·
Hello Cinq,

that is fantastic! Many thanks for all the nice pics, as well as for finding the time to upload them. :thanks

Hmm... just one, for the moment: I have sent a notice to the High End Watches forum, and the data base received many great additions since; but the Breitling forum feels like home and carries such a sense of friendship, and I'm jut not as over-confident about posting in other places. :roll:
(Breitling watches are great but have worthy alternatives; but the Breitling folks, from my experience, they are simply in a league of their own! :-! )

But if you feel like posting a link to a forum that you enjoy -- please do, every publicity is welcome!
Now 1/3 of all the pictures are entered, the slideshow is getting more and more enjoyable each day. :p

Cheers, my good friend.

Don
Don, I agree that this is the best Breitling forum in the world. I don't post here as much as I used to but I still visit regularly and always enjoy the posts and help that is offered to other members here. It goes way beyond the regular Forums :-!

Kind regards,

Cinq

#41 ·
Many thanks Twylie!
If I understand your message correctly, this is already the case: for example, there are no less than 8 pictures for 10:09. Just one is picked randomly, so that even if you have several computers/smartphones pointed to this same page, the displayed picture might be different.

Oh, did I mention that this slideshow is 42% completed? b-)
Keep posting your treasured babies, my friends! :)

Cheers everyone,
Don

#43 ·
Hi, Don
I liked your idea and has uploaded couple of my photos (though have not seen any so far :):think:)
But this is not what I wanted to ask -
I thought that if you could do from What Time Is It Now a sort of a screensaver - that could be rockin' project. Because Just to visit the site and stare at pictures changing one another... well it is fun of course, but to make it more applicable or practical to say so. What do you think? Is it possible technically?

#44 ·
Hi, Don
I liked your idea and has uploaded couple of my photos (though have not seen any so far :):think:)
But this is not what I wanted to ask -
I thought that if you could do from What Time Is It Now a sort of a screensaver - that could be rockin' project. Because Just to visit the site and stare at pictures changing one another... well it is fun of course, but to make it more applicable or practical to say so. What do you think? Is it possible technically?
Thanks for your suggestions Igor! :) I'm seriously looking into something like that.
Unfortunately I'm not able to develop a desktop application...
So I've been trying to find a Windows screensaver freeware that would display a web page.
No luck so far! It's incredible! :-(

My best bet was to set WTII's address as the default page on my browser. But I would love to hear if any of you has a suggestion. :-s

Cheers and thanks again!
Don

PS. Since you are in D.C., your next picture will show up at 11:26 local time. ;-)

#45 ·
But I would love to hear if any of you has a suggestion. :-s

PS. Since you are in D.C., your next picture will show up at 11:26 local time. ;-)
I think if you post that question in Public forum or in the Cafe there should be someone who could have some suggestion.

Ops... Missed my picture this time

#46 ·
Dear friends,
wanted to share a view of the inside of the WTII data base...

All the pictures are here, sorted by date (columns are the hours from 0 to 23, and rows are the minutes from 0 to 59):

Around 480 pictures, and 53% done. Nice!

(Cells in green are filled; dark green are filled by more than 1 picture; white means "not filled yet".)

Just sent in a dozen fresh shots from yesterday :)
Now, I hate to say this on the Breitling Forum, but... there should be more pictures from the other brands! ;-)

Have a nice Sunday (and thanks to the newcomers!),
Don

Attachments

#47 ·
Hi again, guys,

as a sign of appreciation for the "stickiness" of this thread, here is a report on the activity of WTII.

New pictures are fed about weekly, and the global advancement is now 60%.
If you would enjoy seeing your watch on the slideshow, do not hesitate to upload your new pictures through the web page -- it only takes seconds.

Cheers, and thanks,
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.