Vintage Longines Ultra-Chron

Thread: Vintage Longines Ultra-Chron

-->

Vintage Longines Ultra-Chron

I am re-interested in this watch that I've had for a long time. It was my grandfather's watch and I was given it 15 years ago. It is probably from the late 60's/early 70's and I don't know much about it other than the 430 hi-beat movement it has. The serial number doesn't seem to have the correct number of digits, or its stamped on the inside of the case, which I can't open (the crystal pops off to open the watch).

I put a wrist shot of it alone and in comparison to today's monster watches. Wearing this under a shirt cuff is definitely easier than dealing with the PO or my other watch!

Does anyone know what specific watch this is?

It has been working fine for the past year or so, after sitting in its case for the past twenty five years. (I had it serviced before attempting to start it)

I replaced it's original gold mesh bracelet (that neither fit my style nor my wrist) with this black croc so I could wear it once in a while. Maybe a brown one would look better?

What do you guys think? The watch has extreme sentimental value to me, obviously, and I'd like to wear it on occasion but I wish I knew more about. I've scoured the web and can't find any information about the specific watch other than the ultra-chrons in general.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Banned

Re: Vintage Longines Ultra-Chron

That case style started around 1970, so it could be a 36K bph caliber 431 or one of the 28.8K bph calibers (either 664x or 665x). You'd need the serial number off the movement to find out what year it came from. There weren't different sub-series of Ultra-Chrons even though there were a dozen + styles of cases. There would be a 4 digit case reference number on the inside of the caseback. I see the engraved logo on the caseback and SWISS MADE instead of only SWISS on the dial - is it an 18ct solid gold model?

I know it's Gold and am not sure about the purity.

The caseback doesn't come out and I don't have the knowledge or tools to pop the crystal off. But it's good to know I could find out more about it.

Do you know what the digits on the back would be, 374699? The engraving doesn't seem to have enough numbers to be a Longines serial number.

As to the beat, in my search I saw a post a saying the faces with the winged logo had a the 36K movement. I really wish I could open this watch up and find out more about it ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skaymakca View Post
    I know it's Gold and am not sure about the purity.
    It's safe to say it's an 18 ct case with the logo caseback and SWISS MADE on the dial. The 14 ct cases were mostly American made and mated to their imported movements in the NY plant and therefore only say SWISS on the dial usually.

Do you know what the digits on the back would be, 374699? The engraving doesn't seem to have enough numbers to be a Longines serial number.
    It's not a movement serial number, but probably a case serial number - but that's an educated guess.

As to the beat, in my search I saw a post a saying the faces with the winged logo had a the 36K movement.
    Hmmm, not sure about that. It would be an interesting research project though.

Thread Information