Mako USA II crown tube...stripped threads or just difficult?

Thread: Mako USA II crown tube...stripped threads or just difficult?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    j0n

Mako USA II crown tube...stripped threads or just difficult?

Edit: Added a new (hopefully better) image at the end.

I am looking to all Mako/Ray/USA owners for some help deciphering if my Mako USA II crown threads are ok. It is difficult, and I mean DIFFICULT, to get this little bugger threaded properly. It is the worst screw down crown I have ever operated; even worse than my Invicta Pro Diver!

When screwing in the crown, I am very careful to first apply some light pressure while turning counterclockwise (ccw), waiting until I feel the detent that signifies the threads have properly aligned, then proceeding clockwise (cw) to engage the threads. This procedure has worked great on all of my divers thus far (6 total). The problem with the USA II is that while turning the crown ccw to align the threads, the crown catches on something and won't continue turning. I can release the pressure and wiggle it loose, but it takes several attempts to get the threads engaged properly before I feel comfortable screwing it down. It doesn't help that Orient has made the crown smaller with the version II, making it somewhat tougher to grip. I've tried the floss trick on the tube threads, but that only seems to help make turning smoother after the threads are engaged. I'm thinking there may be a burr or machining defect on the female threads inside the crown.

How is the crown action with your version II Makos/Rays/USAs? I believe they all share the same crowns/tubes. Do you feel any catching while turning your crowns ccw before threading? Posting a photo of your version II crown tube would really help me out.

I have added some horrible pictures of my own to see if anyone can look and instantly tell if my tube threads are stripped/damaged in any way. For reference, in all photos the Mako USA II is on the left and a Mako I (not USA) is on the right. The Mako I crown threads perfectly. Thanks!

New image below:

Name:  mako_usa_ii_on_left.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  684.0 KB
    Last edited by j0n; February 25th, 2017 at 23:49.

Re: Mako USA II crown tube...stripped threads or just difficult?

It's a well known issue with Mako's and Ray's. You get what you pay for i guess.

I don't own a II but I drive plenty of other models and I think it's fair to say that Orient screw down crown are the worst I've come across. It's not unusual to have them put a fight up when starting out.

Just difficult.

Very difficult indeed - this is the biggest issue with this watch IMHO

+100 I have a Mako and agree. But I also cross threaded another Orient and they want a $100 to fix it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

j0n

Quote Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
    +100 I have a Mako and agree. But I also cross threaded another Orient and they want a $100 to fix it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for replying, ocramida. If you don't mind me asking, which version Mako do you have (I or II), and which Orient has the stripped threads?

Jon, I'm no engineer but methinks that Orient need to look at their crown tube thread cutting machine - little wonder you are having fun with the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by j0n View Post
    Thanks for replying, ocramida. If you don't mind me asking, which version Mako do you have (I or II), and which Orient has the stripped threads?
    My Mako is OK the name of the Orient I have with the bad crown escapes me. I have it in its box at home. I can find out if you need to know. Having owned several Orients all the basic parts are very similar, so I don't think the problem follows a particular model as much as a common part. As mentioned by "sticky" above, they probably have a tolerance/fabrication issue. Although I would expect such things to be resolved as part of refining the manufacturing process. My guess then is that the materials they are using are not the best. In this case probably a soft metal being used as a base for the stem part. IMO

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

My Mako USA (I) crown is just fine. I've heard plenty of reports about gritty actions on the IIs, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information