WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Before I try a JLC, brief me about Reversos

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Romulux 
#1 ·
My search has led me down this path.

I want to head to the AD and try some MC and Reverso.

Can you give a good background of Reversos?

Is it true some/a lot of them are Quartz?
I have a small wrist. Should I look for the classiques?

My original budget is 5k, but if I like the JLCs I try I can stretch it out a bit. Prefer it to be brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The Reverso is an iconic dress watch with a heritage as a 'sports' watch of the day. It cut its teeth on the British polo grounds of India. It is arguably the square/rectangular watch to own. From a heritage standpoint, you cannot go wrong. The real question is, Do you like the look?

#4 ·
The Reversos are growing on me, especially the night/day versions with two dials. A friend has the classic Reverso, which outclasses many other watches through its character and simplicity. Very light.

That said, I'd personally still look into the Master range.

#5 ·
At first glance I didn't give it much thought. But after browsing countless if dress watches in the forums and blogs I really want to try one.

They seem to be in a class of their own. I will be trying out others, but am really intrigued on the reversos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Patent

The original

8 Reverso Patek Phillipes

Ad campaigns

Sent from my 16M

#9 ·
Probably all you'll need or want to know about Reversos can be found here:
- History of the Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso - Gear Patrol
- The Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso: From Colonial Aristocracy To Amelia Earhart And Into Its 80th Year - TimeZone

I'm keen on three Reversos in particular: the Night and Day, the Squadra Hometime, and the Duo. I like the Night and Day because it's an automatic, which I absolutely require in a daily wear watch, and displays two times in a watch that's smaller than the Squadra. I like the Duo because it's very much like getting two watches in one as the front and back dials are very different looking, making it awesome for folks who want a variety of looks. I like the Squadra because I like its masculine styling. I prefer all of them on bracelets rather than straps.

As Watchbreath says, the Reverso does wear "tall." That happens because of the flat back it has which, unlike domed backs, doesn't sit into the depression between one's ulna and radius. That has something to do with why I like them on bracelets. I wear bracelet affixed watches lose so they move about a bit like, well, a bracelet, although I don't wear them so loose that the face can rotate away from the back of my hand. I find the loose fit makes them very comfortable and it eliminates (for me) size issues, be they one the "too large" or "too small" sides of the matter. If the height of the regular or Grand Reversos bothers you, give the slim version a try.

All the best.

#10 ·
The current range offers more than the original "dress" watch look. The Squadra for instance is outright sporty. As much of a gimmick as it seems in today's context, the reversing is still pretty cool. Gotta like the Art Deco look though. The case design is similar despite the size and material variations.

#11 ·
Never knew about them till I started getting into high histology. They brand is awesome and that model is a true icon in the watch world. I own a 976 and love it. It's a classic dress watch and the movement and finishing is perfect

#12 ·
jlc has quartz reversos.. I don't find them THICK.. but a lot of the grande versions are 42mm in "heighth.." that means they can look rather large on a small wrist. there are a few 33mm tall I've seen.. what I love, personally, about the reversos is : 1) not everyone wears them 2) they are not faked convincingly 3) they are very distinctive and there's no mistaking them for another timepiece (short of a Cartier, which looks FAR different than a reverso)... they are very classy and easy to read. I think they are the perfect marriage of "modern meets classy, austere vintage elegance..".. even the 1931 tribute looks modern despite modeling a 30s watch. truly amazing.. they really nailed class with the reverso, even the squadras are great in person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.