Winders pose magnetism risk??

Thread: Winders pose magnetism risk??

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winders pose magnetism risk??

I heard on another forum an experience from another user whose winder magnetized one of their auto watches and messed up the movement. I had never heard this happening before and wasn't aware that it was a risk so am asking the experts here.

Is using a winder, or a certain type of winder, dangerous for the watches? Is there more or less of a risk using it on batteries vs AC power? Or was his winder on top of a stereo speaker or something similar that might have caused the magnetism?

I just ordered a Tech Swiss model and want to be safe. Thanks!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Winders pose magnetism risk??

Kind regards
    Mike

If a small winder motor could magnetize a watch we would see far more magnetized movements from other devices. We are surrounded by devices with stronger magnetic fields. I don't doubt that the movement was magnetized but I think he has guessed incorrectly at the cause. BTW movements are not messed up by becoming magnetized. They simply run fast until an easy to perform demagnetization is performed. Some owners do it at home.
    Last edited by John MS; May 8th, 2012 at 19:50.

I'm going to try the compass test on the winder tomorrow. Will report results..

http://forums.watchuseek.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81145&dateline=128335  7153(It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin') --"That's the story, folks---glad we could get together" -- JCS

I hope not for the price you pay for one! I have one about half as expensive so we'll see.

So according the my compass, the winder gives off a magnetic field that moves the needle about 20 degrees in one direction on 2 of the pods and 20 degrees in the other direction on the other 2 pods.

By comparison, my free standing stereo speakers spin the needle 180 degrees (due to the large magnets) and my alarm clock spins it about the same 180 degrees. My laptop moves it about 35 degrees on certain areas of the keyboard (even the part that my watch rests on it while typing.

So I've answered the question of "does my winder give off a magnetic field" - Yes.

The real question is, how strong of a field does 20 degrees indicate and what would the "tolerance" of my watch movements be? I'm assuming no one would really know the answer to this as all movements are different. I have a Miyota 9015 Lum Tec movement and 2 Orient movements to worry about at present. Where can I find out? Possibly email Chris at Lum Tec for that one and wing it with the Orients? Or is there some kind of scientific guide to this?

(I know nothing about magnetism)

Tech Swiss winder magnetic field test results

I have a quad Tech Swiss winder that is brand new and I want to use to wind my pieces. However, I wanted to test the magnetic field on it since I'm concerned that it could mess with the movements.

So according the my compass, the winder gives off a magnetic field that moves the needle about 20 degrees in one direction on 2 of the pods and 20 degrees in the other direction on the other 2 pods.

By comparison, my free standing stereo speakers spin the needle 180 degrees (due to the large magnets) and my alarm clock spins it about the same 180 degrees. My laptop moves it about 35 degrees on certain areas of the keyboard (even the part that my watch rests on it while typing.

So I've answered the question of "does my winder give off a magnetic field" - Yes.

The real question is, how strong of a field does 20 degrees indicate and what would the "tolerance" of my watch movements be? I'm assuming no one would really know the answer to this as all movements are different. I have a Miyota 9015 Lum Tec movement and 2 Orient movements to worry about at present. Probably an ETA 2836 or similar in the future.

Where can I find out the answer to this? Possibly email Chris at Lum Tec for that one and wing it with the Orients? Or is there some kind of scientific guide to this?

(I know nothing about magnetism)

Re: Tech Swiss winder magnetic field test results

This is very interesting. Perhaps you could time all your watches now, and then leave them all on the winder for a week and report back. This could be interesting.

Re: Tech Swiss winder magnetic field test results

Too much variables are in play. Movement, accuracy and etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information