Thread: How to change a battery on a Baby-G

How to change a battery on a Baby-G

Here you cna see my tools that I use for changing batteries...

If needed, remove the watchband and adapters first, to get free acces to backplate.

If the backplate is cleared, unscrew the watch back using a good quality philips screwdriver.

When removed the back, you see the back shock absorber, let's see what lies underneath... Never turn around the watch or module! The little spring is loose in the module and is easy lost!

The battery clasp can be released by pulling it loose with pointy tweezers or a small needle. Here you see a close up of such a clasp (not this Baby-G)

The empy batteries are collected a special chemical waist.

Get the same battery that's removed. Baby-G use a lot of CR1616 and CR2025 batteries.

A combi of 2 batteries is also known, like this one. This one needed a SR1120W (391) and a SR626SW battery.

Use plastic tweezers to get the pbattery out of the package and to place in the module. Make sure the battery clasp is closed o.k.

On almost every Casio module you will find a contact with the letters AC (all clear). Use pointy metal tweezer to make contact between the AC contact and the top of the battery. Hold the tweezers about 2 seconds in place. This procedure is called the reset procedure.

Use some silicon based lubricant on the seal to keep it flexible and waterresistant. I use a lubricant tht is also used to lubricate bike parts. Use only a little bit.

The back absorber and the backplate can be put back in place. Always put the top of the back on the right place, else you can have water resistance problems and the alarm and EL won't sometimes not work properly. It also looks not neat when the back is upside down Always apply the screws croswise to spread the force equally on the seal.

Check the function of the alarm sound and the EL backlight.

Set the watch to a reference time device. An atomic signal receiving clock or watch is of course prefered.

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Exclamation Re: How to change a battery on a Baby-G

Sjors,

I brought my Baby-G to a small electronics shop today to get the battery replaced. The man opened it up and realised he didn't have that battery (CR-1220) and closed it again.

I couldn't find the battery in any shops, so I brought it into a watchmaker who changed the battery for me. I watched him the whole time, and he pointed out that the seal is almost broke (is VERY thin at one point - on the point of breaking) and he said that the clip is broke also. I think he meant the clip where you pull off to get to the battery, however I cannot see how it's broken.

He said I would need a new seal, and I would also need to get it 'pressurized' from him for a cost of 20 to ensure that it would be water resistant. He says until then, it is NOT water resistant as the seal is broken.

He also said that once Baby-Gs or G-Shocks are opened, you need to 'pressurize' them once closed...??? I told him I didn't agree.

I wanted to ask your opinions of this watchmaker, and also can I just get a new seal from Casio? I would prefer to send the watch to them so they can have a look at it, especially since the watchmaker said the clip is broken.

Thanks Sjors,

Paul :thanks

Re: How to change a battery on a Baby-G

Pwallwin,

No, it doesn't need to be "pressurized" it just needs a seal ($.50). Just call casio's NJ HQ and ask for the baby-g o-ring seal. It costs less than a dollar. They'll ship it out to you, for about $1 (more for overseas). My ex-girl's baby-g was broken, because she had replaced the battery but forgotten the seal. Check out this page about baby-g seal replacement. You can replace the seal yourself. As for the "clip" dunno, but the watchmaker sounds like a scammer.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Pwallwin View Post
    Sjors,

I brought my Baby-G to a small electronics shop today to get the battery replaced. The man opened it up and realised he didn't have that battery (CR-1220) and closed it again.

I couldn't find the battery in any shops, so I brought it into a watchmaker who changed the battery for me. I watched him the whole time, and he pointed out that the seal is almost broke (is VERY thin at one point - on the point of breaking) and he said that the clip is broke also. I think he meant the clip where you pull off to get to the battery, however I cannot see how it's broken.

He said I would need a new seal, and I would also need to get it 'pressurized' from him for a cost of 20 to ensure that it would be water resistant. He says until then, it is NOT water resistant as the seal is broken.

He also said that once Baby-Gs or G-Shocks are opened, you need to 'pressurize' them once closed...??? I told him I didn't agree.

I wanted to ask your opinions of this watchmaker, and also can I just get a new seal from Casio? I would prefer to send the watch to them so they can have a look at it, especially since the watchmaker said the clip is broken.

Thanks Sjors,

Paul :thanks

Smile Re: How to change a battery on a Baby-G

Quote Originally Posted by crowned View Post
    Pwallwin,

No, it doesn't need to be "pressurized" it just needs a seal ($.50). Just call casio's NJ HQ and ask for the baby-g o-ring seal. It costs less than a dollar. They'll ship it out to you, for about $1 (more for overseas). My ex-girl's baby-g was broken, because she had replaced the battery but forgotten the seal. Check out this page about baby-g seal replacement. You can replace the seal yourself. As for the "clip" dunno, but the watchmaker sounds like a scammer.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Thanks Nick. I never intented to submerge or get my watch near water due to the broken seal, but I forgot and wore it in the shower yesterday. O|

There was some condensation visible in the watch, but I think it's ok now so I'll order a seal straight away. Correct me if I'm wrong though - my seal is rubber, and completely flexible. When broken completely it would form a straight line rather than stay a circle (the seal in that link you posted appears more solid).

Thanks

Paul

No, that seal was just a thin rubber o-ring that was very soft. it was just shaped into a distorted "D." If you broke it it would form a pretty much straight line too.

-Nick

Thanks Nick. I never intented to submerge or get my watch near water due to the broken seal, but I forgot and wore it in the shower yesterday. O|

There was some condensation visible in the watch, but I think it's ok now so I'll order a seal straight away. Correct me if I'm wrong though - my seal is rubber, and completely flexible. When broken completely it would form a straight line rather than stay a circle (the seal in that link you posted appears more solid).

Thanks

Paul

I would have liked to just order a seal and do it myself, but I figured I'd better let Casio have a look at the clip that the watchmaker said was damaged.

Casio have sent me a repair bill for nearly $50 for a new seal, a new battery and a pressure test. I do not need a new battery as I got a new one in it only last week, but they say they say they replace all batteries when watches are getting serviced/repaired.

They also say the watch needs pressure tested for it to be waterproof to the depth claimed...??

I still have the option of them returning the watch the way it was sent, and not getting any repairs done to it.

Should I just get it sent back, get a seal and do it myself?

Or does it need pressure tested by them like they say??

Thanks!!

Hi- it's up to you on this one... If the watch looks good, and the backing plate is straight, and you feel like its going to seal, then forget the pressure test- The $50 is you paying insurance for them- it means that they are totally sure that it is going to be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it personally, and just replace the seal. That cost $1.63 or something super cheap. Have faith in yourself- it isn't a tough repair.

I would have liked to just order a seal and do it myself, but I figured I'd better let Casio have a look at the clip that the watchmaker said was damaged.

Casio have sent me a repair bill for nearly $50 for a new seal, a new battery and a pressure test. I do not need a new battery as I got a new one in it only last week, but they say they say they replace all batteries when watches are getting serviced/repaired.

They also say the watch needs pressure tested for it to be waterproof to the depth claimed...??

I still have the option of them returning the watch the way it was sent, and not getting any repairs done to it.

Should I just get it sent back, get a seal and do it myself?

Or does it need pressure tested by them like they say??

Thanks!!

Thumbs Up Re: How to change a battery on a Baby-G

I accepted the estimate after all your advice...:-X

Casio's customer service dept told me I probably wouldn't be able to just but a seal from them. They tried to pass me through to the parts dept but they were too busy to take my call. I left a message where they promised they would ring me back, but nothing!!

Therefore Casio have really let me down, and I think their customer service is pretty poor. They'd better send me back my old (actually new) battery with it too.

Next time this happens I'll know exactly what to do.

I really apperciate your help 'Crowned'.

:thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crowned View Post
    Hi- it's up to you on this one... If the watch looks good, and the backing plate is straight, and you feel like its going to seal, then forget the pressure test- The $50 is you paying insurance for them- it means that they are totally sure that it is going to be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it personally, and just replace the seal. That cost $1.63 or something super cheap. Have faith in yourself- it isn't a tough repair.

Hi,

I'm just a new user but I've used your instructions to change the battery on my Baby-G and almost everything works, the only thing that doesn't work is the light button. As I was screwing the backplate back on I kept on checking the face just to make sure nothing weird was happening then the light started to flash on and off before not working at all. I'm confused? Please help cause this is like my favourite (and only) watch and I practically worn it all of the 4 years
    I've had it and it sort of has become part of my arm (almost).
    :thanks
    Yaso97

Thread Information