WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How to change a battery on a G-Shock

464K views 61 replies 48 participants last post by  se7en8n9ne 
#1 ·
Here we have a dead DW-003S in desperate need of a new battery.

FIrst remove the watchband and face protector.

This model has three screws on each side and four screws that hold the back protector and back plate on the case. After unscrewing all screws, the back can be opened. Notice there are different screws (this model has 3 types). Remember where to put which screw back later. In the middle you see a little alarm spring. That spring is loose in the module. Under no circumstance turn around the module or you will loose that spring.

Here a close look at the alarm spring.

a very close look...

Carefully remove the back schock protector rubber, and voila!

The battery...

This is also waht you might find under a back plate.

The battery is hold down with a clasp. Use sharp point tweezers to unlock the clasp. A sharp pin or needle will work too.

Put the sharp point here (arrow) to unlock.

Carefully remove the battery and store it with your other empty batteries. Batteries are cstored hemical waste and need to be given to proper authorities for recycling or destruction.

Take a new, same type, battery with plastic tweezers and place it back in the module. Most G-Shock models use the CR2016.

Push the battery clasp in place with the tweezers. You will hear a click when it is closed properly.

Now the module needs to be reset. Use the sharp point tweezers to conect the AC contact with the back of the battery.

Take a little bit of silicone lubricat and rub it carefully on the rubber seal. This way the seal will stay flexible and water resistant.

Note that a lot of seals can only put back in the case one way. Some have a little lip, like this one. It need to be put in the little cut out at the bottom (see arrows).

Place the back the same way as you have found it. If you aren't sure, firmly press the back to the case between thumb and indexfinger and turn around the module. The lettering must be according to it's case position. If put upside down, it will not only be un-aestetic, but there is also a possability that the alarm and EL won't work when the back is put up up-side-down.

Place the back plate (and the back protector) back on the case and place the screws back. Best is to do this crosway (as shown in the picture) to spread the forces on the seal.

If the four screws are in place, turn around the case and check the alarm and EL functions.

If everything works fine, screw back the other screws...

...when present, put back the face protector and put the watchband back in place.

Find a reliable clock or watch with precise time to adjust time and date.

Cheers,

Sjors

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Sjors,

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I don't reset the watch after battery replacement:think:?

Usually I would take my Gs to Casio service to have their batteries and sealant rings replaced. There was that one time I finally decided to do it myself, all done without resetting the watch(not that I wasn't fully aware of, just wanna see what would happen, I was expecting the LCD to be completely mess up or a black out maybe), but nothing happened, the watch works just fine. I just can't get the point here, could you kindly explain?

Thanks

#5 ·
Hi Stevie,

I think it is to reset the microprosessor of the watch. Probably inserting a battery will cause some current fluctuation troubles or so. By short cutting the battery, there will not be any voltage for a moment, while the full capacity returns at once after the procedure. Probably this causes to start the module work properly. In most cases the Reset is actually a un-nessecarry pre-caution, but modules can stop working suddenly hours after a not reset batery change. I have had this two or three times in the past. Actually strange screens happen more often (I guess about 1 on 5 battery changes).

Cheers,

Sjors

#6 ·
Adding extra information for releasing the battery lock.

I remember someone posted a question how to release the battery lock. The pictures in my How to... thread were not sufficient enough. Since I changed several batteries today, I made some new pictures and a drawing too. I hope these will make everything a bit clearer.

There it is. Most of the time it is hold down by two "lobs" of white plastic, but I have seen a metal one today too. Sometimes there is one bigger lob and must the lip of the lock be released at the side. Sometimes the battery lock is a one piece metal, locked on both side. However, the system to unlock the battery is all the same.

Originally you need to stick a sharp point tweezer between the lobs that hold the lock. If you push it foreward, the lock pops up.

This is how the lock is constructed from the side. The metal part is shown in pink (sorry, the only colored pen a student left here recetly). A and B is what i called "lobs". C is the battery lock.

As seen from the top, as you look into the module. D is the little space between the module's plastic and the battery lock. You need to stick your tweezer there and gently push the lock foreward over the lobs (as seen in this drawing, upwards).

My sharp point tweezer. A sewing pin or needle will work too.

This is a bit how you need to position your tweezer to unlock the battery lock.

I'm sorry I'm not good in drawing (I threw away several attempts),

Cheers,

Sjors

#8 · (Edited)
Sometimes you have to reset several times. I remember having a DW-8800 Codename Cipher of a student that I would replace a battery in just a moment. I got a very sweaty forehad while trying to reset. It took me seven attempts to reset.

I don't know which model Pathfinder/Protrek you have opened, I'm not familiar with the modules. Just a few possible other things that also could have gone wrong:

Did you change all batteries (some have 4!)
Were all batteries full (I recently had a few Maxell CR-2016's which were not expired accordin the blister).

When you reset the watch, carefully look on the display (don't turn around the case and modue, but put it above your head and watch. A correct reset watch shows 12:00:00 after a reset (with the seconds running from that time).

Cheers,

Sjors

#10 ·
Precise torque, as far as I know, isn't necessary when tightening the screws. Over-tightening is the biggest hazard - it's not impossible to strip the threads.

The silicon performs two functions. 'Wet' joints make a better seal than 'dry' joints, and silicon repels water.

#14 ·
I got a little to excited with my DW-6900 and removed the metal plate that holds the battery to the white plastic part. Somewhere along the way, a small copper colored spring came out. I have the steel looking spring for the alarm but don't know where the copper colored one came from. Any guesses?

#15 ·
Ok, I was searching the posts and found a thread that said that the little brass spring does nothing. Because of my nature, it will be hard for me to put it back together without all of the parts. Kind of like pulling the refridgerator out and not cleaning out behind it before pushing it back. Does anyone have any technical drawings or IPCs for the DW 6900? I wish I'd found this forum BEFORE I opened G up.

After spending so much time combing the site, I'm definately going to resurect my older G that is retired due to a broken band. Cool.

#17 ·
Thanks Sjors! I just changed a battery in my Casio Twin Resist watch and your instructions were invaluable. If you hadn't mentioned the thing about resetting the watch I would have assumed that I'd messed up my watch. Thanks again!

#18 ·
Great thread. This takes the fear out of opening these up.

Reactions: Guarionex
#19 ·
Re: How to change a battery on a G-Shock - alarm function after battery replacement

Thank you for posting such a comprehensive set of instuctions. After taking my G Shock to a watch battery relplacement store - and having none of the buttons functioning - I opened it up myself. I realigned the metal cover over the plastic housing - there is a BIG alignment tab at the top that the store obviously missed - and now all functions normally except the alarm has no sound. My G Shock does not look quite like the picture,do all have a spring for the alarm? Is this commonly knocked off or does it fall out easily? Thank you for ny insight.

#21 ·
Re: How to change a battery on a G-Shock - alarm function after battery replacement

My G Shock does not look quite like the picture,do all have a spring for the alarm? Is this commonly knocked off or does it fall out easily? Thank you for ny insight.
The watch either uses a spring or a metal clip to connect to the alarm piezo crystal. In fact there are two contacts, one for the metal cover and one for the crystal. If you see any clip that would normally make contact with the cover or piezo, but appears to be bent down, try to bend it up. Otherwise, look for any small hole that might have contained a spring. They do fall out pretty easily.

I lost one of those tiny springs too while replacing the battery on my watch. The spring was embedded in a piece of plastic covering the battery, and I dropped this piece on the floor. I almost took my entire room apart searching for the spring, but it was gone. As suggested in another thread, I took the spring out of a spring bar of a crappy old watch, cut and cleaned it, and it was a perfect fit! :-! I also slightly distorted the ends of the spring so it can't fall out of the plastic anymore.

#53 ·

I'm a noob, I've heard that opening the caseback will void the water resistant. Is it true?
I was also afraid of opening my DW-5600E because of breaking water resistance..but, when I am thinking about it..many watchmakers can do the job much worse than you..my experiences with my local watchmaker says that I absolutly can not trust his work, more than once I had to disassemble and reassemble the watch which were repaired by him, because he did something wrong (some button did not work properly, module was not placed 100% good or something). How can I trust him in changing battery in water resistant watch after these experiences? With this tutorial, I was able to change battery almost for sure better than him, because it is my watch and I gave the job much more effort to do it really good than him and probably many watchmakers woud. For my needs, the watch will be waterproof enough even without testing - swimming in a pool or sea, no diving..and now I have a good feeling that I did it in 30 minutes on my own just for the price of a battery.

Do not be afraid, it is not a problem at all.

#26 ·
Hi Sjors, Absolutely wonderful thread. :thanks
I DID find it via a Google search, and, it was near the top.
I'd started on a DW-004 and got to the battery clasp.
I couldn't believe how well constructed it was.
After pondering the clasp and keep putting the watch back in a draw before I threw it out of the window I then found this thread and site.
As for where to buy batteries I usually use Maplins, but this is the first time i've seen one the size of this.
And I'll use the silicone :-!
I've also got a DW-6630B which has not been worn for five years, wrong by 3 minutes.................:p

#29 ·
Just an update, Maplins do the battery and I got the grease from a watch dude on Ebay so it's now on my "do it today" list :-!

What an absolutely brilliant thread.

#30 ·
Just an update, Maplins do the battery and I got the grease from a watch dude on Ebay so it's now on my "do it today" list :-!

What an absolutely brilliant thread.
Brilliant ! movie

Unfortanately when i done a battery change before watching the movie ,the little so called alarm spring dissapeared in behind my watch Casio Pro- Trek, cant find it its in the watch somewhere but very strangely everything still works 100%.

magico

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.