Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How to change a battery on a G-Shock

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

How to change a battery on a G-Shock

Here we have a dead DW-003S in desperate need of a new battery.

FIrst remove the watchband and face protector.

This model has three screws on each side and four screws that hold the back protector and back plate on the case. After unscrewing all screws, the back can be opened. Notice there are different screws (this model has 3 types). Remember where to put which screw back later. In the middle you see a little alarm spring. That spring is loose in the module. Under no circumstance turn around the module or you will loose that spring.

Here a close look at the alarm spring.

a very close look...

Carefully remove the back schock protector rubber, and voila!

The battery...

This is also waht you might find under a back plate.

The battery is hold down with a clasp. Use sharp point tweezers to unlock the clasp. A sharp pin or needle will work too.

Put the sharp point here (arrow) to unlock.

Carefully remove the battery and store it with your other empty batteries. Batteries are cstored hemical waste and need to be given to proper authorities for recycling or destruction.

Take a new, same type, battery with plastic tweezers and place it back in the module. Most G-Shock models use the CR2016.

Push the battery clasp in place with the tweezers. You will hear a click when it is closed properly.

Now the module needs to be reset. Use the sharp point tweezers to conect the AC contact with the back of the battery.

Take a little bit of silicone lubricat and rub it carefully on the rubber seal. This way the seal will stay flexible and water resistant.

Note that a lot of seals can only put back in the case one way. Some have a little lip, like this one. It need to be put in the little cut out at the bottom (see arrows).

Place the back the same way as you have found it. If you aren't sure, firmly press the back to the case between thumb and indexfinger and turn around the module. The lettering must be according to it's case position. If put upside down, it will not only be un-aestetic, but there is also a possability that the alarm and EL won't work when the back is put up up-side-down.

Place the back plate (and the back protector) back on the case and place the screws back. Best is to do this crosway (as shown in the picture) to spread the forces on the seal.

If the four screws are in place, turn around the case and check the alarm and EL functions.

If everything works fine, screw back the other screws...

...when present, put back the face protector and put the watchband back in place.

Find a reliable clock or watch with precise time to adjust time and date.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: How to change a battery on a G-Shock

Hi Sjors,

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I don't reset the watch after battery replacement?

Usually I would take my Gs to Casio service to have their batteries and sealant rings replaced. There was that one time I finally decided to do it myself, all done without resetting the watch(not that I wasn't fully aware of, just wanna see what would happen, I was expecting the LCD to be completely mess up or a black out maybe), but nothing happened, the watch works just fine. I just can't get the point here, could you kindly explain?

Thanks

Sjors,

Outstanding information!
    I tip my hat to you & your detailed info.
    It was a HUGE help to me.

Thank you!

Bill

Hello Sjors:

Resetting the module in the photo looks like you are shorting the battery. Can you explain please? I have replaced batteries in many Q watches (analogue dial) and have not had to do this. Is it to reset the digital dial?

Thanks

Hi Stevie,

I think it is to reset the microprosessor of the watch. Probably inserting a battery will cause some current fluctuation troubles or so. By short cutting the battery, there will not be any voltage for a moment, while the full capacity returns at once after the procedure. Probably this causes to start the module work properly. In most cases the Reset is actually a un-nessecarry pre-caution, but modules can stop working suddenly hours after a not reset batery change. I have had this two or three times in the past. Actually strange screens happen more often (I guess about 1 on 5 battery changes).

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Adding extra information for releasing the battery lock.

I remember someone posted a question how to release the battery lock. The pictures in my How to... thread were not sufficient enough. Since I changed several batteries today, I made some new pictures and a drawing too. I hope these will make everything a bit clearer.

There it is. Most of the time it is hold down by two "lobs" of white plastic, but I have seen a metal one today too. Sometimes there is one bigger lob and must the lip of the lock be released at the side. Sometimes the battery lock is a one piece metal, locked on both side. However, the system to unlock the battery is all the same.

Originally you need to stick a sharp point tweezer between the lobs that hold the lock. If you push it foreward, the lock pops up.

This is how the lock is constructed from the side. The metal part is shown in pink (sorry, the only colored pen a student left here recetly). A and B is what i called "lobs". C is the battery lock.

As seen from the top, as you look into the module. D is the little space between the module's plastic and the battery lock. You need to stick your tweezer there and gently push the lock foreward over the lobs (as seen in this drawing, upwards).

My sharp point tweezer. A sewing pin or needle will work too.

This is a bit how you need to position your tweezer to unlock the battery lock.

I'm sorry I'm not good in drawing (I threw away several attempts),

Cheers,

Sjors
    kiwidj likes this.

Hello, I have just changed the batteries on my module 1470 Pathfinder. I cannot get the watch to reset by touching the AC. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank you.

Wink Re: How to change a battery on a G-Shock

Sometimes you have to reset several times. I remember having a DW-8800 Codename Cipher of a student that I would replace a battery in just a moment. I got a very sweaty forehad while trying to reset. It took me seven attempts to reset.

I don't know which model Pathfinder/Protrek you have opened, I'm not familiar with the modules. Just a few possible other things that also could have gone wrong:

Did you change all batteries (some have 4!)
    Were all batteries full (I recently had a few Maxell CR-2016's which were not expired accordin the blister).

When you reset the watch, carefully look on the display (don't turn around the case and modue, but put it above your head and watch. A correct reset watch shows 12:00:00 after a reset (with the seconds running from that time).

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; May 9th, 2009 at 18:48.

any certain procedure when thightening the screws? isn't it easy to thighten them unequaly resulting in leaks?

Is there any deterioration in waterproofness before and after change of battery?

didn't know about the silicon lube, what is the lube actually acquired for?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Brage View Post
    any certain procedure when thightening the screws? isn't it easy to thighten them unequaly resulting in leaks?

Is there any deterioration in waterproofness before and after change of battery?

didn't know about the silicon lube, what is the lube actually acquired for?
    Precise torque, as far as I know, isn't necessary when tightening the screws. Over-tightening is the biggest hazard - it's not impossible to strip the threads.

The silicon performs two functions. 'Wet' joints make a better seal than 'dry' joints, and silicon repels water.
    Crusader Mk1148 Damasko DA36 G-Shock GW-2310 Grand Seiko SBGX061 Jaeger-LeCoultre Memovox (1960s) Junghans Max Bill Omega Speedmaster Sinn UX Tutima Flieger Chronograph 1941 ​ Wempe Zeitmeister

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information