How to Change CTL1616 Rechargeable Battery - Page 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How to Change CTL1616 Rechargeable Battery

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How to Change CTL1616 Rechargeable Battery

Quote Originally Posted by farmnMo View Post
    WOW! Those are awesome pictures. I wish I had seen this prior to working on my GW 300. I promptly lost 2 of the springs. My questions are:
    1) Can I disconnect the solar recharge and simply put in a non-rechargeable battery? My last two GW300's have lost power after 2 years. I think the non rechargeables would give me at least that much time, are cheaper, and are more available.
    2) In the 9th photo what is the plate just below the watch band (it says "up",has a flat head screw in it, and has a spring that makes contact with it)? Is it the receiver?
    I love this watch but the battery really stinks.
    Oh yeah, is there a place I can get the springs? Thanks for the help.
    Oh no! I've been busy at the time you posted here sorry for the lost springs.
    1. You can use non-rechargeable to replace, but highly recommended to use the correct nominal voltage 2.3V (CTL1616)
    2. +Up indicates the battery polarity only, not the receiver.

I like this watch too because the outer looked like a robot.

Great tutorial, thanks!
    Any place I can order a CTL1616 battery within the EU?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbai View Post
    Great tutorial, thanks!
    Any place I can order a CTL1616 battery within the EU?
    Cheers
    Hi Cabbai,

Thank you for viewing. The only one place I have known is Americanperfit. I have seen they accepted Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Americanexpress, then probably they accepting international purchases as well.

Email them first for inquiry. I used to sent some vintage mechanical watch to EU using international flat rate in provided hard carton envelope at USPS without any damage.

Cheers.

asuoab,
    This post is a close match to the model I have in that mine has the same shaped backing plate. My watch died on me and felt it was the battery that is the problem. But my biggest problem is my 2yr old grand daughter came to play and got a hold of the watch while apart, ARG!! I need a pictoral view of my particular model GW300-1a (2608) showing or instructing me to which spring goes where since they are not all equal. I could really use some help from you or anyone out there in this forum with this information, thanks.

Quote: "Use a flat-screwdriver to push the screw out of the plastic link (this is a buffer-link between stainless steel links and the watch-lug). You may turn the screwdriver when pushing, but it is not necessary because this shaft has no thread. You may need a little liquid soap drop for lubricant."

Are you sure about this?

I can't believe that to remove the resin part from the watch to access the back cover requires it to be pried from the shaft.

I just bought the G011-D G-Shock and it has the same setup as seen in your pictures, but the difference is that the resin part in question is also covered by metal from the band...bottom line is, this part is not going to be pried apart to remove it as seen in your picture.

If I were to take this band off as described, the band would be trashed.

I am sure that the screws do indeed screw together. If you refer to the post "How to change a G-Shock Battery: Addendum special models." you can see the Wademan picture which shows screws of the same type in question which have indeed been unscrewed from each other.

Regards,
    Keith
    Last edited by Kdarmy; December 21st, 2007 at 00:42.

Quote Originally Posted by d.kauffmann View Post
    Where did you get the new battery? I've been searching all over the internet and can't find a CTL1616. My husband's watch is about 4-5 years old now and the batttery isn't holding it's charge. In fact the watch is a GW-300, that's how old it is.

Thanks,

d. kauffmann:thanks

batteryBob.com wrote:
    > That CTL1616 is a capacitor used in solar and kinetic movement watches made
    > by Casio and others.

this is a source for the "battery" for the solar/atomic watches as stated above. Bob, who continued a lengthy offline discussion from his website on Christmas Eve, was evidently quite knowledgable about electronics and if he says that it is a solar charged capacitor, I would agree with him. I say that because I am an old ham operator. And the manner in which mine dies abruptly says that is exactly what it is. a capacitor. it does not slowly fade away, it is either there, or it is completely dead. but it will recharge in the daylight. HOW LONG I should charge it is something entirely unknown as the instruction manual is so pathetic that even after I ripped off all the language sections I did not need, I was still left with very little of any value.
    fwiw
    chas

Hi, I am not a expert in this kind of G-Shock, but why buy this models if other models with a normal battery can be used without replace the battery for almost 2 years and more???

Quote Originally Posted by Swatch View Post
    Hi, I am not a expert in this kind of G-Shock, but why buy this models if other models with a normal battery can be used without replace the battery for almost 2 years and more???
    This was the issue only with the earlier solar/atomic G-shocks. It was a substandard batch of battery cells they had inside, wich quickly wore out in about 1.5 - 2 years of usage. Today they (supposedly) fixed the problem, coming up with a new batch of CTL1616 in the new watches, wich read "JAPAN 2" instead of just "JAPAN" on the back. We'll see how long this one should last.

Quote Originally Posted by Doni View Post
    This was the issue only with the earlier solar/atomic G-shocks. It was a substandard batch of battery cells they had inside, wich quickly wore out in about 1.5 - 2 years of usage. Today they (supposedly) fixed the problem, coming up with a new batch of CTL1616 in the new watches, wich read "JAPAN 2" instead of just "JAPAN" on the back. We'll see how long this one should last.
    I surely hope that the two CTL1616 which i ordered (how many does my GW500A require?) from BatteryBob.com have this marking on the back of the capacitors.
    also, where do you get nylon tweezers? just kidding, i have a minimal set for maintaining my computers. thanks for that heads up Doni. regards

I have a WV-100, bought in December 2003. I started noticing that the watch had trouble staying at full charge about half a year ago. Now it's downright impossible to get it to 'full' level, no matter how long I leave it in direct sunlight. The watch stays one level below 'full' which would still enable all functions, but when I try to use the EL light, the 'Recover' indicator shows up immediately. It probably won't be long before it will also start 'recovering' when playing alarm beeps.
    4 years isn't that bad, but the FAQ on the Casio site says that the battery should last as long as the watch, and the reason why I bought a solar watch was that I never wanted to change the battery. Well, it seems like I'll have to do it anyway Even if the replacement would only last 4 years, I would still be happy, because I know I won't be able to resist buying a new watch in 4 years

Has anyone from Europe ordered at americanperfit.com? They sell the CTL1616 for US$8.5, which is only 5.8 these days. Unless they would charge an outrageous shipping fee, that price will be impossible to beat by any European store (the cheapest I could find here was in some UK shops who sell the battery for at least 10, i.e. 13).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information