How to Change CTL1616 Rechargeable Battery
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How to Change CTL1616 Rechargeable Battery

-->
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How to Change CTL1616 Rechargeable Battery

Dear All WatchUSEEK Members,

Sorry for my previous broken-link on the tip: "Changing CTL1616 Rechargeable Battery" This time I revised it directly on this forum for sure.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watch: Casio G-Shock model MTG-900 - Japan Y
    Module: 2638
    Battery: Rechargeable CTL1616
    Failure: After 18 months from new purchase
    ------------------------------------------

CTL1616 can be ordered online, the price about 8 USD. The original battery has letter JAPAN without number 2 engraving. Avoid to short the terminals by using a plastic tweezer:

The easiest side for removing the band is Red-G button side from the left because on this side the holder covers on the most of the back-case:

Use a flat-screwdriver to push the screw out of the plastic link (this is a buffer-link between stainless steel links and the watch-lug). You may turn the screwdriver when pushing, but it is not necessary because this shaft has no thread. You may need a little liquid soap drop for lubricant.

The shaft is permanent attached to the watch lug. The rubber holder-link works in combination with 4 back-screws helps to hold the back tight.

After 4 screws are removed, slightly slide the back out off the other end. If slide too fast, three important springs will fly away, and causes two problems: no charge, no alarm eventually. Write a note for different length on each spring-location. (one is shorter than another)

Gently lift those springs out and keep in safe place before removing shock-absorbing rubber cushion. After this you should see battery compartment is underneath of another white-plastic panel:

On the battery-compartment has an instruction-label that need to be followed after battery is replaced. Pay attention on them.

One side of panel has a latch that holds the battery down. If you look closely by using a magnified loupe you will figure it out how to un-latch: Use flat-screw driver push-pull the latch to the left:

Use plastic tweezer for battery replacing: Pickup the old one out and properly recycle. (Lithium toxic). Insert the new one in carefully, avoid to zap the terminals with other metal parts.

After placed the new battery in its compartment properly. Blow dust out, neither leave the finger-prints on the battery terminals nor the movement. (it contains salt and oil will rust the watch). As usually I used latex gloves:

Check the latch is hooked downmost to the base surely. Return all contact-springs back to the same places where they belong to after put the insulation plastic and rubber cushion back. The assembly-principle is "Last out, First in" (LOFI)

Use a small tip metal tweezer to short (-) and (AC) terminals per instruction before closing the back. Look at the display should see all digital-segments flash up.
    Apply Silicone Lubricant on the gasket. This special grease will prevent the water from leaking into the watch, but will not deteriorate the rubber gasket. If you could buy a new gasket it would be perfect, otherwise use the same old one, then it is still working great. Tightly, evenly srew the back-case, but not exceedingly. (the plastic threads may be 'screwed-up')

I put my watch into a bowl of water (for coolant), then bring it under sun-beam for an hour ensure fully charge it, but not burn it. Test synchronous, alarm, light... all functions are working good:

MUDMAN likes this.

Re: How to Change CTL1616 Rechargeable Battery

Where did you get the new battery? I've been searching all over the internet and can't find a CTL1616. My husband's watch is about 4-5 years old now and the batttery isn't holding it's charge. In fact the watch is a GW-300, that's how old it is.

Thanks,

d. kauffmann:thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d.kauffmann View Post
    Where did you get the new battery? I've been searching all over the internet and can't find a CTL1616. My husband's watch is about 4-5 years old now and the batttery isn't holding it's charge. In fact the watch is a GW-300, that's how old it is.

Thanks,

d. kauffmann:thanks
    Dear D.Kauffmann,

I ordered it at an online store . Click on the Accessories button, then Batteries button.
    That only one store I known, but if someone know a better one please post.

Dec 25th 2006.
    PS: My family here including my wife and two sons in Anaheim California wish all WatchUSEEK's members a Merry Christmas! santasmile

Smile Re: How to Change CTL1616 Rechargeable Battery

WOW! Those are awesome pictures. I wish I had seen this prior to working on my GW 300. I promptly lost 2 of the springs. My questions are:
    1) Can I disconnect the solar recharge and simply put in a non-rechargeable battery? My last two GW300's have lost power after 2 years. I think the non rechargeables would give me at least that much time, are cheaper, and are more available.
    2) In the 9th photo what is the plate just below the watch band (it says "up",has a flat head screw in it, and has a spring that makes contact with it)? Is it the receiver?
    I love this watch but the battery really stinks.
    Oh yeah, is there a place I can get the springs? Thanks for the help.

Does anybody know the purpose of the spring on the pic?

I lost it when i am changing the batt but it seems did not affect any of the operation of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by GMT-II View Post
    Does anybody know the purpose of the spring on the pic?

I lost it when i am changing the batt but it seems did not affect any of the operation of the watch.

Is that the alarm spring I've read about perhaps?
    Wear what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
    Woo.. I think so. Guess I just need to get some replacement. Thks.

yes there is an noise spring on right side of photo but other two on left side are for battery charge.

CTL1616 = 2.3 Volt rechargeable by selfwatch solar cell
    CR1616 = 3 Volt non rechargeble can use but beware about voltage different

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
    Sorry BruceS, I never been here for a while, just saw your question today.

There are two spring for alarm (one signal, one ground) the third spring (most right) for touching front solar panel.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information