WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Linde Werdelin Recognition

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ticsandbeats 
#1 ·
Bit quiet here lately fellow LW forum users. So a question and a story to get some conversation going.

How often do you have random people in street recognize your watch while wearing LW? My daily wearer is a LW 3 Timer Silver Dial on a Bracelet. Been wearing it every day since I bought it last year and absolutely love it and feel it has a lot of presence, even on my large wrists. Used to getting the occasional compliment, but usually followed with a question about who makes the watch.

So today I was sitting at a Starbucks in San Jose and someone asked me, is that a SpidoSpeed. I said no, but good eye to even pick it was an LW. I'm used to people recognizing my Tag Heuer, but this was the first time with my LW.

What experience do you guys have when comparing your LW to some of your more more common brands?

#2 ·
that is interesting actually.. i have had people comment on my watches but when someone sees its a rolex they go nice watch, just because... but they don't really know anything about it . 99.9% of the people in this world know very little about watches. i was rerecntly returning from Europe Via china and the Chinese man ( didnt speak English) in the seat just across form me was wearing a gold patek complication. Now I know that thing is mega money but to everyone else it just looks like a dress watch. It makes your story IMHO even more remarkable
cheers

#3 ·
I know what you mean about 99.9% not understanding much about watches. A watch is usually the first thing I notice when meeting someone. A guy I work with showed up last week after a holiday wearing a Patek Philipe Tourbillon that was a gift from his brother. He was surprised it when I mentioned it as soon as I saw him. I think the other thing I have observed with people that wear Rolex, Brietling, Tag or any of the other mainstream watches, is that people asume they are fake, especially in Asia. That is an unlikely assumption with a more boutique watch brand like LW.

#4 ·
I've never had an LW recognised, not have I had my Anonimo's recognised either. In fact, the only watch that people ever noticed was a Tag which goes back to what Toph was saying above.

I quite like it that way though :-! But I must admit, it does grind me a bit when people think my titanium Okto is made of plastic... some recognition might help in those situations :-d

#5 ·
Interesting that I am having a conversation on an International watch forum with someone from Sydney and Melbourne, especially considering we are talking about Swiss watches, designed by a couple of Danes based in London. I'm an ex-Sydneysider who has lived in California for the last 4.5 years.

#6 · (Edited)
... designed by a couple of Danes...
...which would also be my name, just to add to the mix :)

What can I say, us Australians must just have impeccable taste!

#7 ·
I am in the same boat as many of you. I live in Utah and very, very few people know about watches here. It is quite sad when someone compliments you on your watch and then asks what brand it is and are let down when they find out its not a Rolex or Tag. I think they automatically assume that it is some knock off and there for some cheap brand. But it sure is nice to have this forum of fellow LW fans and owners to share my stories with. So far you guys are the only ones that can appreciate what I have on my wrist right now. A 3-Timer with gold accents and gold screws.

#8 · (Edited)
Good Question...

In the small island of Singapore, the watch community have grown bigger over past years and the number of WIS is growing rapidly every year which means quite a few on the streets knows what watch brands are available in the stores and this helps as LW has a boutique here...

But to those who do not know their 'stuff' (which makes the majority even though WIS is growing strongly) and only focus on mainstream brand, they are unsure of the LW Brand.

My very first non WIS was my Boss who asked me, "Is that an AP? Quite nice an all black AP.".
Well...I kinda disappoint him with my reply.
And the very next question that came out from him was, "How much?".
And I somehow managed not to reply that question and changed the subject.
I rather not share with a non WIS the amount of money I spend on watches cause they won't understand.

Unfortunately I never had any comment from strangers on the streets asking about my LW maybe its due to our conservative nature (Asian) not to intrude into other people matters.

As for WIS and my watch buddies, they do appreciate LW craftsmanship and they agree that LW has its irresistible appeal (especially the black beauties) however most chose to stay in the safe zone with the more mainstream brands....unlike the few of us.

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.