Grey dial Constellation
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Grey dial Constellation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grey dial Constellation

Hi all
    I just recieved a new purchase today its a 1968, 564 movement in a 168.017 case i came across it just after xmas it had 10 mins left on the auction it all looked ok but i had doubts about the dial so after a quick google search i came across a blog by a guy called Desmond who had posted that there had indeed been Constellations with grey dials so i had a bid and won. It was quite reasonable at £350 but i still am in doubt about the dial can someone that knows what they are looking at tell me if it a re-dial or not please.
    Regards
    Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another one of the dial

Re: Grey dial Constellation

Constellations have round magnifier windows? That dial looks awfully dodgy to me. I call a redial. The missing 57 minute indicator doesn't help either.
    mkws likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
    Constellations have round magnifier windows? That dial looks awfully dodgy to me. I call a redial. The missing 57 minute indicator doesn't help either.
    No they dont i assumed it was a generic crystal that was fitted as it probably worked out cheaper. Thanks for confirming what i thought, it was the first Constellation ive brought i knew there are a lot of re-dials out there as some are very obvious but i dont know much about what to look for.
    Regards
    Fred

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any silver/gray dial Omegas with white script. The "n" in Constellation doesn't look right as the two legs are far too close together. The script under the "Omega" seems a bit sloppy.
    mkws likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
    Off the top of my head, I don't know of any silver/gray dial Omegas with white script. The "n" in Constellation doesn't look right as the two legs are far too close together. The script under the "Omega" seems a bit sloppy.
    The thing that had me wondering was like your first comment the missing 57 sec marker and it looks like the word Omega has glue around it, i never noticed the n's until you mentioned them and i wouldnt know sloppy script from good the learning continues lol

Here's another one https://www.poshtime.com/omega-const...68_499.138.php the guy called Desmond could really help you here if you're lucky,as the vintage constellation authority, I think his nick is monodec and he has a very informative blog as well if you interested in these
    To form a better opinion, I personally would require better pics, macros of the font...white font on dark background is always tricky

S
    cb1111 likes this.
    Scientia potentia est

Quote Originally Posted by saxoo View Post
    Here's another one https://www.poshtime.com/omega-const...68_499.138.php the guy called Desmond could really help you here if you're lucky,as the vintage constellation authority, I think his nick is monodec and he has a very informative blog as well if you interested in these
    To form a better opinion, I personally would require better pics, macros of the font...white font on dark background is always tricky

S
    Hi to me both of these seem to look the same, the n's on the font is also close together in the pics from posh time, unfortunatly i only have my phone as a camera hence the crappy pics. I have been reading a few of Desmonds blogs along the way while i was looking for a Constellation and after i brought this one all ive learnt about them have come from his blogs but they were mainly about pie-pan's, Im going to see if i can track him down and ask him for his opinion he always seems to be able to tell whats what even from some pretty poor pictures. Thanks very much for the link and the info about Desmond.
    Regards
    Fred
    saxoo likes this.

Saxoo, as usual, makes a good point and the link i certainly helpful. Comparing the photos you see that the dial texture is different and the lettering is sharper and more distinct. Better photo would help enormously.
    saxoo likes this.

Here is another one but a bit more of a close up
    Regards
    Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information