Omega Seamaster Caliber 503 - is it genuine?

Thread: Omega Seamaster Caliber 503 - is it genuine?

Omega Seamaster Caliber 503 - is it genuine?

I am looking for some advice on this Seamaster - it amazes me the things that people spot that I do not see! Does it look legit? My main concern is the fomation of the 503 in the second picture.
    Also, what do people think of the dial? Genuine or redial?

The described as:
    ref 16214254
    caliber 503
    36.7mm
    Case number 2849

Unfortunately the photos are not good quality.

Name:  Dial.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  Movement.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  Movement and case.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  Watch.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  25.7 KB

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by samanderson; September 20th, 2011 at 13:20.

Re: Omega Seamaster Caliber 503 - is it genuine?

Dial picture is not the best to show any age, but it's missing lume on the dial, markers and the hands. Should be radium if original. Photo crops out the "SWISS" lettering that should be at the 6 o'clock position. Going with redial, though markers and lettering are in the right style. Crown also looks period (and nice), but might be wrong for this model. Movement appears correct and dates to 58-59 for this 1961 or so model (plausible). The 503 was 20 jewel.
    "My grail showed up today"

What's on your wrist today? dailywristshot.com

Thanks Mrsnak - I had noticed the missing lume but had kinda hoped that the experts on WUS might say that it's a valid variation - I guess not. I hate the idea of a watch being redialled - it puts me right off it. I'm not saying that there is no place for it but it certainly takes a lot of the attraction out of a watch.

Good catch on the crown. After your comment I used Picassa to bring up the light on the first photo and it appears that there are only 3 grooves on it, which I have seen on models of around this period, but as you said, it doesn't look correct for this model.

Seller seems very novice and so I had hoped that it was an all original that had been sitting around for years and finally brought out to sell. But if it has been redialed, and possibly has a different crown, then it makes you wonder how much else has been done to it. Shame

A question for you: but you called it a 1961 model.The Omega site has it in the internation collection 1956-1962, so how do you tell that it is specifically 1961?

Thanks again mrsnak - you may have saved me buying a watch that I would not have been happy with.

Sorry, I thought I saw this as 1961-62. You're right. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it came without lume, but variations start getting very tricky to confirm unless one has first-hand knowledge (and I don't).
    Remember that these are old watches that were once worn regularly. People took them to get serviced and repaired, and most watchmakers, as well as watch owners, are less discerning about keeping a watch 100% original if it looks good. When a crown needed replacing, they went into their stash of crowns to find one that fit.
    This was even more so in countries where parts were hard to get.

Thanks mrsnak, that's helpful.

I am still hopeful that it came without lume because the arrow-head battons on other models seem to have semicirles cut out of them where the lume went: see authentic Omega Automatic Seamaster for $300??? Help identify please.

These markers dont have them. But I have yet to find a 2849-6 SC with markings like these.

Oh a subective note: What is your opinion of redials? I said before that they put me off but I am hoping that someone can convince me that they are ok! If this is a redial but is done well what do you think of it?

Cheers
    Sam

I have no problem with redials if they were done to correctly match the original and the price is commensurate. I personally prefer to see a little original wear. I've certainly had watches redialed because the originals were in such bad shape. Never had an Omega redialed, but have never had one in poor enough condition.

Like I said about the lume before, rather than make a defined pronouncement, we may need to keep the door open on this. BTW- Not all markers were cutaway for lume, The Mexican Omega was just a clearer example.

I happended across this on ebay today: OMEGA SEAMASTER CALENDAR 18K SOLID GOLD AUTOMATIC VINTAGE MENS NO RESERVE | eBay

The dial seems to be the same as the photos above, as is the crown. It may also be a redial and new crown but I guess the likelihood of having them both the same as the one pictured above is lower.

So perhaps it is still ok to "keep the door open"

Yes, but look how the markers on the 18Kt go all the way to the edge, and the identical ones on your stainless are inset.
    See how the minute hand on yours extends beyond the marker?
    The 18KT is accurate. I also have a forum friend selling this as 14KT clad with a beautiful black waffle dial.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Again, thanks Mrsnak. I had failed to see those differences.

Thread Information