Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Weare

Thread: Buck!t Belts, but what about Buck!t watch straps

Watchuseek Editor

Buck!t Belts, but what about Buck!t watch straps

Name:  industries_manufacturing_140520_Buckit Belts_banner.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  269.3 KB

This isn’t so much a ‘let’s see your hands on the steering wheel’ idea as a ‘let’s see your bicycle tyre round your waist’ kind of concept.
    Buck!t Belts came into being when health issues forced ex-London architect and racing cyclist Craig Northam off his bike in January 2013. The Adelaide based entrepreneur decided that if he couldn’t ride his bike he would do something useful with the tyres.

His men's and ladies' belts are made from disused tyres and tubulars (high quality racing tyres) sourced from local bike stores. "Every belt represents one less tyre going into landfill," he said.

"I'd made a few belts before for myself, having seen the idea on the internet 10 years ago but I took it a step further with the detailing and had them for sale at Red Berry Espresso. That was starting to do quite well, so I made a few more.

Name:  industries_manufacturing_140520_Buckit Belts_thumbnail.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  169.7 KB

When a friend, who worked with the RadioShack Pro-Cycling team, posted a picture of the belts on Twitter, orders began to trickle in from all over the globe. So far orders have been received from Canada, USA, Japan and all over Europe. .Pro cyclist Ben Hermans, from Switzerland's BMC Racing Team, is also a fan. For me, riding a bike isn't just a sport, it's a way of life. I've never owned a car, I don't have a driver's licence, I ride everywhere and so does my fiancé. This was a way to stay connected with bicycles and express my sustainable ideas while trying to stay afloat financially.”

Name:  Buck!t Belts.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  37.7 KB

Craig is focused on maintaining an eco-conscious, sustainable local business and invites locals with used or damaged tyres and tubulars to get in touch. Each belt is hand crafted from genuine roadworthy recycled bicycle tyre. Bicycle tyres usually go to landfill, so every time you wear one of these belts you are doing your small bit for sustainability.

"I've been blown away and humbled by the support and generous enthusiasm of Adelaide, especially the local bike stores, in supporting this big change in my life. I'm a small footprint kind of guy and recycling makes sense for me so this was a great way to tie together my way of living and trying to be green with other people - almost without them realising it."

Health restored, Craig Northam is now back on his bike, but he has given up his day job to focus on the belts which are stocked in hand-picked stores nationwide and at Adelaide artisan markets

"I'd only been selling a couple a week until I had a stall at Bowerbird Design Market (in November)," he said, adding that his handmade earrings (made using carbon-fibre, aluminium lock-rings and chain-links) were also a hit.I'm not after a big salary, I've done that as an architect and it doesn't interest me."

You can buy one or more of Craig Northam’s Buck!t Belts via his website. All the belts have ridden hundreds if not thousands of miles of Australian asphalt prior to being recycled into belts. And many of them look undeniably cool. Prices start at A$69.00.

Name:  silicone-watch-strap-black-summer-tread-0101.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  50.7 KB

In addition to belts Mr. Northam also branched out into carbon fibre earrings, but maybe he is missing a trick. The mechanical watch is the time telling equivalent of the pedal power bicycle. It would make perfect sense to create some rubber bicycle tyre watch straps for sports watches.

Name:  mens-pulsar-racing-digital-watch-with-tyre-tread-effect-rubber-strap-p7113-7490_zoom.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  62.5 KB

Of course there are already several rubber tyre style watch straps out there for racing sports inspired watches, although the key difference is, none of them have ever seen any road action, they are only made to look like tyres. Buck!t Belts watch straps would have that cool worn in look right from the start.

Visit the Buck!t Belts website
    Last edited by Michael Weare; June 26th, 2014 at 04:24.
    WatchObsession likes this.

Re: Buck!t Belts, but what about Buck!t watch straps

Would be great to see if this is viable !!

Re: Buck!t Belts, but what about Buck!t watch straps

Very trick and they would be great if they worked as well as a rubber watch strap in terms of fit and comfort.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

Thread Information