WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Gifts for the women in our life

2K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  Donp34 
#1 ·
The topics I've seen in here focus on our manly consumerism. Let's give a bit of wealth back and help each other for the next shopping season!

I know I'm not alone in struggling to pick out gifts for women. For me it is especially hard for my mother since she seems to have everything. Let's here some of the best things you've given to a family member.

1. Obligatory diamond ring for my wife
2. Pandora Bracelet- maybe these are out of style but you can personalize it based on what trinkets you buy
3. That winter coat (CK) for the trip to New York
4. Random maid service
5. Lingerie [emoji5]
6. Amazon Echo
7. First range day with handguns to teach self protection
8. Flowers

So I took a few easy answers because it is pretty hard. It seems to break down into jewelry, clothes and experiences. I guess help me out with what brands/items are the best.

Thanks all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I also struggle with this for a few reasons.

My wife and I have almost identical incomes, and we have plenty of spending money so if she ever actually wants something for herself she will buy it. I can not get any credit for spending money on her. While having a wife who makes a high income is obviously great, sometimes I am jealous of the guys whose wives have much lower level careers than they do. Seems to make life simpler in some ways ;p

She is really not very into "things", and doesn't get excited about clothes/jewelry. When I bought her a set of diamond studs at $2.5k, she was like "eh." Also as I can imagine happens to you guys, often if I try to buy her clothes or jewelry she doesn't love what I've picked. For Christmas, sometimes I can get her to tell me what she wants and I buy it for her and that's OK. Usually its that she tells me the bigger item that she wants, and then as long as I get a small item or two that I pick myself she's happy.

Some things I've done or have in my mind to do in the future:

1) Get her car detailed for her - we have two toddlers and a dog and my wife loves for things to be clean. However in our life this is not the easiest thing. Getting her mom SUV detailed so that it looks beautiful in and out really makes her happy.
2) Upscale Massage/Spa Day - She usually gets a massage once every few months at one of the mid-level affordable massage clubs (not a high end spa). There is actually a very nice resort getaway spa close to us, for locals you can pay a reasonable "resort fee" on top of the cost of your massage and spend your day hanging out on their grounds which has a pool, sauna, hot tub etc.
3) Get the kids to make something - My girls are 3 and 5 so they are very happy to do some coloring/painting/card making.
4) Plan a celebration - get a baby sitter set up and make plans to go out either with just us for dinner or with friends for a fun outing
5) Concert/show tickets - this can be a tough one in terms of picking something you know she's going to like especially since you need to pick something in a tight time window around her birthday.
6) Honey do list - generally this is an "add on," you shouldn't try to get away with this as her gift, but if you've got home projects etc on your honey do list then crank some of them out and let her know you're putting in extra effort for her birthday. You gotta get them done either before her birthday or you better be well under way on the day of her birthday and finish pretty quickly after that. She's been hinting/asking you to paint the bedroom? Get it done!

It really is "the thought that counts." For some women gifts = thought and I think this makes it easier for their husbands. This just isn't the case for me. To be completely honest, I have screwed up some gift giving occasions over the past few years. It is an area I really need to improve on as a husband. As I've said the issue is not that I need to buy her more extravagant gifts. Its that I need to do some things that make her feel as though the occasion is special and she is loved and important to me.

#4 ·
it's easy for me. I just get my wife stuff for her bikes. Or registration in a triathlon / running race / cycling event etc. Kayak stuff is probably also on the list now that we're surrounded by water.

#14 ·
Yeah but do something she wants. I custom made a surf rod for my wife, nice Lamiglass blank, let her select pink & purple wrap threads (guys in the tackle shop asked if I was making Easter eggs), Fuji guides, primo cork handle, the works. She humored me by fishing with it once. Now it's my rod.

#23 ·
#20 ·
I am old school and old fashioned but let's list:

1) A nice diner at the candles in one of the best restaurant alongwith a nice bottle of wine
2) A nice pair of loboutin shoes
3) Some jewelery
4) A nice watch , either a Ladymatic or Datejust with a mother of pearl dial
5) Visiting Switzerland Watch musueums and jewellery manufactures
6) A nice bunch of flowers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.