Persol or Maui Jim what is your preference
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Persol or Maui Jim what is your preference

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Persol or Maui Jim what is your preference

So been looking at some new sunglasses to replace a pair of 4 yr old Ray Bans that I squished and was wondering between Persol and Maui which would be the brand you would go for...

Here are the Persols I am considering:

And here are the Maui Jims I have been looking at:

I have read both brands are good but the cost of the persols is a little less and the maui jims seem hit or miss on fit.

Thanks
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    "I was interested in precision timekeeping I wasn't interested in little, flat, thin luxury watches I was interested in proper watches, like the watch they used on the moon, that sort of thing" - George Daniels

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

Re: Persol or Maui Jim what is your preference

Persol all the way, make sure you get a pair with polarized lenses, better sun protection for the eyes.
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etcHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by amine View Post
    Persol all the way, make sure you get a pair with polarized lenses, better sun protection for the eyes.
    But harder to read things like smartphones...

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thm655321 View Post
    But harder to read things like smartphones...
    Agreed, happens to me often when i take a quick glance at my iPhone to check missed calls or so, but then again i don't spend the whole day staring at my cell.
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etcHidden Content

If it were me, I'd go with the Persols. There's just something about them I prefer.

And on the topic of polarisation, yes, it does make some things a bit harder, but I don't think I could go back to regular sunglasses now, especially in high-glare environments.
    amine and watermanxxl like this.

Hey thanks all, I think I am going to go with the 3rd one down, liked the persol but seemed a little to formal for me and their after sales service should something goes wrong seems hit or miss wheras Maui is reportedly pretty good at this
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    "I was interested in precision timekeeping I wasn't interested in little, flat, thin luxury watches I was interested in proper watches, like the watch they used on the moon, that sort of thing" - George Daniels

Depends on use. Maui's as far as I understand are one of the only brands certified to stand up to Chlorine and salt water....I live near the ocean and have a pool, so it was an easy choice for me...Maui.

Maui every time.
    Ball<>Fossil<>Invicta<>Grand Seiko<>Orient<>Seiko<>Timex<>Tissot

I've had one pair of Persol for over 35 years. I've tried Mauis. Good glasses. Persol still are the ones I use.

I love Maui Jims! I'm surprised there isn't more love for the brand.
    Sinn 756, Jaeger Lecoultre Grande Reverso 976, Panerai 351N, Steinhart Mark II LE Chronograph [XX/20], 79' Rolex Tudor Submariner "Snowflake" Ref 94110, Bernhardt Officer, WUS Project Tourbillon, Citizens and Seikos etc... Hidden Content

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information