The begining of an addiction
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The begining of an addiction

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The begining of an addiction

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm from Portugal and Swatch is a big brand over here.

I've stopped using a wristwatch around early 2000s and have relied on phone to give me the time since then. I've never been much of a watch lover anyway.

My wife though, she loves watches, mostly for fashion and fun, nothing too technical. Lately I started becoming curious about watches, settled on a model and ended up getting one on ebay. The first of several, I suppose.

(edit: due to my low post count I can't post pics. It's a Swatch Irony Body and Soul with the metal bracelet)

Very neat watch, I like it alot. Toke some experiment to adjust the bracelet correctly but I got there, looks great and feels 'alive'.

Then... I found one of these Sistem 51 and gifted it to my wife: (edit: due to my low post count I can't post pics. It's a Swatch Sistem 51 green with the orange appointments) Pretty watch, very cool, but ticks much more than my B&S.

It's taking off quite nicely, this new addiction Already have quite the wishlist (all affordable watches):
    • Toke a liking to Flieger type-Bs, so I would like either a Swatch Irony Arrow or a Seiko SNK809;
    • Toke a liking to those URSS Raketas with the blue simple dials but only found shady deals. A Swatch Irony Fly would be a good alternative (looks great), but I also have an older Swatch coming that may fill this place;
    • Something simple like a Timex Weekender 40 with the ivory dial and leather strap;
    • Kenneth Cole KC3584 guess why...

Cheers everyone
    Cobia and Deity42 like this.

Re: The begining of an addiction

Congratulations on starting down a very enjoyable path. It is a dangerous path, though, and you must be careful of how much you spend and keep an eye on how engaged your wife continues to be. If you start spending money on watches rather than on family holidays and if your wife starts giving you a certain look, then it's time to slow down.

Swatch is a great brand to begin with. Prettyuch every type of watch you could want is included in the Swatch range... and there are so many designs! Seiko is also a fantastic brand for a wide variety of watches and both Swdtch and Seiko are very reasonably priced. That being said, $100 spent on 100 watches is still $10,000-worth of watches, so do be careful with this new habit. And welcome to the club! I hope to see photos of your collection when your post count is high enough.

Thanks. I'll try to keep it under control :)

I don't need a thousand watches, but having 5 or 6 will be nice, especialy if they don't overlap much.

I have my second one coming in a day or so, it's an older quartz Swatch in a near color scheme to the new Irony Fly but only cost me 1/3rd.

Maybe Seiko for the Flieger, Timex for the Weekender and call it a day?

One watch? Easy. "Five or six"? Not possible.

Ahahaha hope not :D It may be easier by having also other addictions (in my case, electric guitars and cars) :)

By the way, the Swatch on the way, I'm not a big fan of the stock black leather strap. I may replace it with something else and keep the original one to if I ever need to return it to original condition.

Already getting the idea of swapping straps, huh? Well, you should know two things:

1. You may already know that Swatch uses a weird, proprietary strap system. It isn't too difficult to modify a normal strap to fit a Swatch, but unless you have a fair degree of skill in Arts & Crafts then your best bet is to find a good source for Swatch-compatible straps.

2. Changing a strap by yourself means buying a tool. Whichever tool you choose, you will find your first strap change to be a tricky affair. It will be difficult and frustrating and you may even end up scratching your watch, so be careful! Once you get used to it, strap changes will be quicker, easier and less risky endeavours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    Already getting the idea of swapping straps, huh? Well, you should know two things:

1. You may already know that Swatch uses a weird, proprietary strap system. It isn't too difficult to modify a normal strap to fit a Swatch, but unless you have a fair degree of skill in Arts & Crafts then your best bet is to find a good source for Swatch-compatible straps.

2. Changing a strap by yourself means buying a tool. Whichever tool you choose, you will find your first strap change to be a tricky affair. It will be difficult and frustrating and you may even end up scratching your watch, so be careful! Once you get used to it, strap changes will be quicker, easier and less risky endeavours.
    Appreciate the tips.

We have a Swatch representative here in the city which probably has Swatch straps and can change it for me.

The metal bracelete tweaks were already a bit overwealming at the begining! :/ even managed to kind of drive one of the link pins under my fingernail... Ouch!

My Irony Body and Soul:

Tom-HK and Deity42 like this.

And my second one has arrived, my poor-man's Sistem Fly :D Surprised that I actually like the original strap. May still swap it anyway, we'll see.

As expected, a bit lighter and more confortable than my Body and Soul, but alot noisier and a bit too small. But I like it!
    Tom-HK and cuthbert like this.

Consider a Seiko 5 instead of the Weekender. You can get them cheap, and they are fantastic deals ($50-$75).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information