CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE Gold Tone Diamond Watch or similar dressy watch?

Thread: CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE Gold Tone Diamond Watch or similar dressy watch?

-->
    MPJ

CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE Gold Tone Diamond Watch or similar dressy watch?

I currently own (and love) a men's Victorinox Chrono Classic (white face, black dials): Home - Victorinox Swiss Army

I have come to feel that I could do with a smaller faced, dressy watch, and ended up at the Citizens eco-drive gold done diamond watch, despite the diamonds, and because it has a sapphire crystal.

For me the pros and cons of this watch fall this way...
    Pros
    * sapphire crystal
    * eco-drive (no battery!)
    * readable face with date
    * gold tone band

Cons (or things I'm meh about)
    * mother of pearl face...ehhh
    * diamonds...ehhh

How do folks feel about the eco-drive and this watch in particular? Are there other watches in a similar price range (under $1,000) that garner any respect in these parts? Thanks!

Re: CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE Gold Tone Diamond Watch or similar dressy watch?

Lots of Citizen fans around here! Which model were you looking at? I'm particularly fond of their Ciena collection for dressy watches with a subtle sparkle. Hmm... Are you looking for a dressy watch suitable for evenings out, or "dressy" in terms of being suitable for the office? (or both?)

The top tier of the sub-$1000 market includes Seiko, Citizen, and Tissot. A timepiece from any of those three will have excellent build quality. Bulova is an old brand that fell on bad times, but is now owned by Citizen - look at the Bulova Precisionist and Accutron lines. This example is a little busy, but I like it anyway: Bulova

MPJ

Quote Originally Posted by coastcat View Post
    Lots of Citizen fans around here! Which model were you looking at? I'm particularly fond of their Ciena collection for dressy watches with a subtle sparkle. Hmm... Are you looking for a dressy watch suitable for evenings out, or "dressy" in terms of being suitable for the office? (or both?)

The top tier of the sub-$1000 market includes Seiko, Citizen, and Tissot. A timepiece from any of those three will have excellent build quality. Bulova is an old brand that fell on bad times, but is now owned by Citizen - look at the Bulova Precisionist and Accutron lines. This example is a little busy, but I like it anyway: Bulova

Oh my, that would help! Here is the model: CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE Women's EW1822-52D Regent Gold Tone Diamond Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

I tried finding less bling-y Eco-Drives but they didn't have the Sapphire crystal. :(

Here is a lovely (but two-tone) Tissot that I like: Search Results on 'tissot' | Tourneau

Two-tone seems a bit sporty to me. When I am wearing skirts or dresses (concert performance, church, etc) my large-faced Victorinox Chrono seems to strike a dissonant note. I wear gold wedding jewelry, and although you certainly do not have to match, gold is complimentary to my skintone, so I thought if I could find a subtle gold tone watch (gold being bling-y enough without diamonds) I'd go for it. I will look at the lines you suggest. Thank you!

If I had money to burn, I do like this Tissot, though based on some comments on this forum, I wonder about the value? Tissot Caliente Medium Women's 18K Yellow Gold White Mother of Pearl Diamonds Quartz Classic Watch

I just really like the looks of it. Very clean lines.

ETA
    Here is a Seiko I like (sapphire crystal, not too much bling, elegant): http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Womens-S...old+tone+watch

Thoughts on that one vs the Citizens Eco or is it just either/or at this point?
    Last edited by MPJ; November 6th, 2013 at 04:44.

The Tissot Classic Dream you linked to comes in gold-tone as well as two-tone!

Tissot Classic Dream Women's White Quartz Classic Watch

The solid gold Tissot is not expensive for 18k solid gold. But honestly, if I were going to spend $5k on a watch, it would be a higher-end brand such as Cartier, Zenith, Omega, or Jaeger LeCoultre.

I'm somewhat biased towards Seiko. There are 7 in my collection, including two gold-tone watches that are still accurate, pretty, and flawlessly gold-tone after three decades of wear.

MPJ

Geesh, Coastcat, how did I miss that one? That's beautiful! :) Nice, clean design.

Out of morbid curiosity, are there any specific models in the other brands you mention (Cartier, Zenith, Omeg or Jaeger LoCoultre) between $1,000 and $5,000 that are particularly sought after? (I am not very watch-educated, so it's harder for me to judge other than price.) I'm turning 40 soon, so a more significant watch isn't out of the question. Thank you so much for your help. :)

Zenith - lesser known and hard to find, but oh my, their ladies' Heritage Ultra Thin Moonphase collection is one of my favorites, especially this all-blue version:
    http://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/...hase-2926.html

Omega has several collections for women. I consider the Omega Aqua Terra to be the most versatile higher-end watch out there, and the non-diamond quartz models easily fit the sub-$5k range.
    Seamaster Aqua Terra 150 M Quartz 30 mm - Steel on steel - 231.10.30.60.56.001
    Quite a few quartz Omegas are in that price range (diamond and solid gold models will be much pricier, though).

The classic JLC is the Reverso:
    Reverso Lady | Luxury watches | Jaeger-LeCoultre E-boutique
    Not too many JLCs are under $5k, though.

And then... there's Cartier. *THE* classic ladies' watch is a Cartier tank-style. The Anglaise and Americaine lines are out of reach, but the Tank Francaise and Tank Solo are possibilities.
    Tank Française watch, small model - Quartz, steel - Fine Timepieces for women - Cartier

Generally speaking, I wouldn't drop a lot of money on a quartz watch because I'm a watch geek. I would make an exception - without hesitation - for a Cartier.

MPJ

Oh yes, I'm not married to quartz for a higher-end watch. Not familiar with the picks for auto/mechanical in the 1-5K range. Need to do my homework!

As for quartz, this Tank is nice to dream about: Tank Française watch, medium model - Quartz, yellow gold, steel - Fine Timepieces for women - Cartier

I think for affordable quartz, the Citizens model I linked to above or the Tissot you found for me would do the trick. Thank you for your help. Any more suggestions on "dream" auto/mech models in the 1-5K range, please do let me know. I daresay I'll never be a watch geek but I do like to be an educated consumer! :)

MPJ

This Cartier Francaise yellow gold/ss medium watch might be worth pursuing if I could find a pre-owned model: Tank Française watch, medium model - Quartz, yellow gold, steel - Fine Timepieces for women - Cartier

Agree? Gorgeous.

KCZ

Yellow gold watches are not very plentiful right now, everything is stainless or rose gold. I recently looked for one, and ended up with a two-tone Tag Aquaracer that I'm very happy with. Tag, Baume & Mercier, Longines, and Ebel are other brands in the $1000-5000 price range with nice watches but not much currently in yellow gold.

Raymond Weil has a couple of nice YG watches that can be had for around $1000.
    http://www.raymond-weil.com/EN/Watch...&method=inline
    http://www.raymond-weil.com/EN/Watch...&method=inline

My last year's watch was an Eco-Drive Silhouette WR100 (30mm diameter). Keeps astonishingly accurate time, doesn't need batteries and I only had to adjust it twice for GMT/DST changes. They're nicely made, too and take the knocks, and there's plenty of styles. The Mother of pearl faces; they're fairly restrained if you're trying to keep the bling down, you could wear one at a funeral, for instance.

Seiko quartz for daily wear are good, too. I currently have a Seiko 5 auto, but the stopping at weekends annoys.
    Last edited by sueZpoos; November 13th, 2013 at 13:48.

Thread Information