WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

39mm manufacture slimline moonphase models on the way?

11K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  SnooPPP 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
So close!! What happened??

I absolutely love the 42 mm model, but I have tried them on at a couple of retailers, and unfortunately the size was a bit large for me.

When I found this thread and saw that 38.8 mm slimline moonphase were coming out, I was so excited, I couldn't believe it. I was ready! I was literally ready to take out my wallet and give Frederique Constant my money... but then I took a closer look at the photos... and I'm disappointed. If the pictures on the FC website are the final thing and not a prototype, I don't want this watch anymore.

This is a crop of the images on their website, both watch dials are to scale. To the left is the 42 mm and to the right the new 38.8 mm

Clock Wall clock Font Home accessories Interior design

I believe I'm seeing the following: The hole for the moonphase has been shrunk on the 38.8 mm, but the blue rotating disc that has the moon and stars hasn't, it's the same disc as the 42 mm. You can tell because on the left, the moon and stars have good clearance, but on the right, the moon is barely touching the edge, and the stars are being cut off. The cutout of the two semi-circles that cover the moon (he ∩∩ shapes) are shallower now, which to me makes the work look much less refined.

What happened? Why was this design decision made??

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Is this a deal breaker for anyone else?

#7 ·
Re: So close!! What happened??

I absolutely love the 42 mm model, but I have tried them on at a couple of retailers, and unfortunately the size was a bit large for me.

When I found this thread and saw that 38.8 mm slimline moonphase were coming out, I was so excited, I couldn't believe it. I was ready! I was literally ready to take out my wallet and give Frederique Constant my money... but then I took a closer look at the photos... and I'm disappointed. If the pictures on the FC website are the final thing and not a prototype, I don't want this watch anymore.

This is a crop of the images on their website, both watch dials are to scale. To the left is the 42 mm and to the right the new 38.8 mm

I believe I'm seeing the following: The hole for the moonphase has been shrunk on the 38.8 mm, but the blue rotating disc that has the moon and stars hasn't, it's the same disc as the 42 mm. You can tell because on the left, the moon and stars have good clearance, but on the right, the moon is barely touching the edge, and the stars are being cut off. The cutout of the two semi-circles that cover the moon (he ∩∩ shapes) are shallower now, which to me makes the work look much less refined.

What happened? Why was this design decision made??

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Is this a deal breaker for anyone else?
While the FC-703 is slightly smaller to allow for smaller watch sizes, most of the components are likely interchangeable with the FC-705 to save costs. It would be a poor business decision to try to build a new movement from scratch just to have a smaller version of an existing model, so they have made the baseplate and moon phase complication more compact while retaining most of the geartrain. Use of the same moon phase disc is reasonable as a cost saving measure and cuts down on the number of parts they need to stock (as there are already 2 different moon phase discs - a silver and a gold). And of course, cutting costs keeps their watches affordable for a Swiss in-house movement.

Regarding the dial cutout, remember that the dial is made of solid brass. The cutout must then be machined (probably by CNC), and there is a limit to how fine a cutout can be made by machine. Since the new moon phase aperture is smaller on the smaller dial, they simply can't cut out the periphery of the aperture as much as they can on a bigger dial. To do so would require costly and time-consuming hand finishing.

So if you think about the challenges of making things smaller, the design changes make a lot of sense. Shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially if you want a Swiss moon phase watch with in-house movement for less than $4000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Re: So close!! What happened??

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO POINT THAT OUT!!!

Kidding, good eyes...not to mention the seconds hand don't seem to line up with the second markings...disappointing, I really hope it is a prototype..if it comes out 'fixed' I will buy for sure..

#8 ·
I have been dreaming about this watch ever since I first saw the 42mm. It is literally my favorite dress watch but it was too big for me to pull off. This is going to be my next FC! although I would only be able to afford it on the gray market. Any1 know when new models become available for gray market dealers?

Ps - FC website says it is 38.8MM so it is probably closer to 39mm which to me is the perfect sweet spot in terms of size. Like the Calatrava 5227 I feel like there should be more watches in this particular size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.