Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BriarAndBrine
  • 1 Post By Tony N
  • 1 Post By KJParlay
  • 1 Post By mpalmer

Thread: Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT unboxing

Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT unboxing

Hey folks,

I posted a few days ago about my new acquisition. It's my first Alpina watch, which I have been researching and contemplating for several months. I'm a regular business traveler and find the GMT complication to be useful. As I dug deeper into the types of watches offered, and the different ways that the complication was handled by different companies, I became interested in the Alpina. I'm considering both and Omega GMT as well as a Rolex Explorer II in the future. However, one of the things that I value in watches is flying under the radar. I'm under no illusions about how regularly someone even notices what is on your wrist (hardly ever), but am wary of having either of the aforementioned brands because I don't care to appear ostentatious to those who do notice and care about such things. Maybe it's an unnecessary concern, but it is one for me, nonetheless, and it did play into my desire to seek a watch that was relatively unknown outside communities of enthusiasts.

That's a lot of background. And you've probably heard similar cases before and just want me to post the damn pictures. So, here they are.

Name:  IMG_8212.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  2.10 MB
    There it is, nestled in the bottom of the box!

Name:  IMG_8214.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  1.59 MB
    Looks like a fairly typical watch box. I do like the packaging design quite a lot

Name:  IMG_8215.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  1.87 MB
    Watch box removed. Looks like the ownership info is in the bottom.

Name:  IMG_8216.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  1.48 MB
    There's the warranty info, and the ownership manual. The manual is like like all the others that I've seen. Written in a dozen languages, with over 100pages, 2 of which are relevant to this watch and movement. The warranty card was not filled out or stamped since I bought through a grey market dealer.

Name:  IMG_8218.JPG
Views: 365
Size:  2.31 MB
    On to the main event. The watch! Looks good. I think Alpina could have sprung for a nicer pad to mount the watch to for shipping, but that's a small complaint.

Name:  IMG_8219.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  1.63 MB
    There it is, wrapped in protective plastic to keep my grubby hands from smearing the stainless finish.

Name:  IMG_8222.JPG
Views: 354
    First time on my wrist. I had been concerned that the 44mm case would be too large on my 7.5" wrist. But, after this first trial wear, my fears were allayed. It's a comfortable size. Now, I've got to remove some links.

Name:  IMG_8221.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  1.84 MB
    Here it is next to my Longines conquest GMT for context. They are both 14mm thick, but the Longines is only 41mm wide. The Alpina's much larger, but is better proportioned in my opinion.

Name:  IMG_8235.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  1.86 MB
    Side profile. You can see that the Longines has a different case shape, so it has a completely different aesthetic than the Alpina with it's slab sided, submariner style case.

Name:  IMG_8224.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  1.69 MB
    Both on the wrist for comparison.

Name:  IMG_8232.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  1.37 MB
    Now for some closer shots of the Alpina. Here's the right side. The combination of brushed finishing on the sides with the polished bevels are really a nice touch. The case is beautiful. I'm really impressed with both the design and the finishing details.

Name:  IMG_8231.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  1.60 MB
    And now a shot from the other side, with the looted crown.

Name:  IMG_8229.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  1.69 MB
    Here's the case back. It's got a nice engraving to tie into the Alpiner's lifestyle.

Name:  IMG_8230.JPG
Views: 338
    The bracelet is a very nice oyster style, with polished and brushed links. It's thinner than I was expecting, giving it a more elegant appearance and comfortable feel on the wrist. It reminds me of the bracelet for the Rolex Milgauss.

and now a look at the dial...

Name:  IMG_8250.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  1.38 MB
    I love the dial details. From the applied indices, filled with a stripe of lume, to the tiny brushed SS triangle logo. It's really a cohesive design.

Name:  IMG_8242.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  1.49 MB
    And while there are 5 lines of text on the bottom of the dial, including the 4 series symbol, it isn't offputting to me. I've seen much worse.

Name:  IMG_8249.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  1.71 MB
    Another shot of the whole watch

And to finish things off, I snapped a pic of the watch with two of my other favorite things. Thanks for looking. And I hope that this was helpful for those contemplating the purchase of this watch:
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  1.43 MB
    marker2037 likes this.
    In the box and on the wrist:
    Stowa
    B-Uhr, Tudor Pelagos 2-liner, TAG Heuer Carrera Twin Time, Oris BC3 Plus

Considering:
    Rolex 16570 Polar, Sinn 857 UTC Testaf

Re: Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT unboxing

Very nice report and great photos. Congrats again. Enjoy in good health. If you don't mind, can you message me which gray market dealer, as Jomashop is out of stock.

Thanks
    BriarAndBrine likes this.

Very slick, I feel like this is the epitome of Alpina. Well designed, functional, good looking.
    Oris Aquis Date | Hamilton Pan Europ chrono | Eterna Madison | JeanRichard Terrascope | Orient Bambino v3 | Timex vintage 24 Hour Military | Tissot PRC200 chrono | Citizen Eco-Drive black PVD

Very nice. One of my favorite Alpina models. Enjoy it.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

That's a sharp looking sports watch! Thanks for sharing the pics and review. Enjoy your Alpina!
    In the works: RGM '801 EE Motor Barrel'

"The stuff that dreams are made of…"

Nice watch!

I've been looking at this. Could you tell us the total length of the watch including lugs? At 44mm it's pretty big for me.

Also, where did you buy it from? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonDynamite View Post
    Nice watch!

I've been looking at this. Could you tell us the total length of the watch including lugs? At 44mm it's pretty big for me.

Also, where did you buy it from? Thanks!
    Thanks. I like it a lot. I'll be wearing it next week as I travel 11 time zones from home.

I'm not sure of the precise lug to lug measurement. You may be able to find that online. For comparison, my wrist is slightly larger than 7.5".

I got got mine from touch of modern. But, there have been a number of other sellers that I have seen carry this model.
    Stowa

Considering:

So, I haven't said anything here, but my GMT had movement issues while traveling in December. The GMT function hand gear started slipping and wouldn't advance the hand. I had to send it back when I got home from my trip. I was pretty bummed out, but it's being taken care of under warranty. Hopefully it'll get back to me soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stowa

Considering:

Sorry to hear about the movement issues mate! Hopefully it will be fixed up and sent back soon. Otherwise a sweet looking watch!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    "Wear your learning like your watch, in a private pocket; and do not pull it out and strike it merely to show you have one"

Lord Chesterfield

Thread Information