Alpina, anyone? Then, please show it… - Page 16
Like Tree1082Likes

Thread: Alpina, anyone? Then, please show it…

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Re: Alpina, anyone? Then, please show it…

Startimer Pilot Manufacture

victarro, ninzeo and TradeKraft like this.

I'll join, bought this from another member here..I like it better with nato compared to the stock canvas strap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topspin917, CVega and Northlander like this.

Well, I finally got my Alpina Startimer Pilot Automatic "Sunstar" back from Jomashop's repair department.

It took exactly 9 weeks from the day I shipped it out to them. I asked for a call from their repair department before they sent it back to me to discuss what might have gone wrong with it, and had 3 different customer service people tell me I would receive a call or email before it shipped back to me. I did not receive a call or email. It just showed up today.

Luckily, it came back with the original box, packaging and Alpina Letter of Authenticity that I had included when sending it to them. There was a checklist inside with checkmarks next to: demagnetize movement, regulate movement, lube gaskets and water resistant test. There is also a print out of test results from 2 pressure tests using a Witschi Proofmaster S, both test results showing "OK". So, without an explanation, I can only assume the movement got so magnetized that it stopped completely and would not start again no matter what I tried. I didn't realize this could happen so easily and so suddenly, and all I can think of doing that was slightly out of the ordinary was wearing the watch while spending about 30 minutes scraping ice from my truck windows in about 30 degree F temps the morning of the day it stopped. Does this sound like something that can magnetize a watch?

Anyway, other than the very slow repair, and the extreme lack of communication from Jomashop during the process, I am satisfied with the result. I do love the look of this watch, and I guess I'll just have to treat it very gently from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
    Beautiful timepiece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Topspin917, Jimmy B, Loco and 2 others like this.
    What a difference a day makes

Quote Originally Posted by OregonJohnny View Post
    Well, I finally got my Alpina Startimer Pilot Automatic "Sunstar" back from Jomashop's repair department.

It took exactly 9 weeks from the day I shipped it out to them. I asked for a call from their repair department before they sent it back to me to discuss what might have gone wrong with it, and had 3 different customer service people tell me I would receive a call or email before it shipped back to me. I did not receive a call or email. It just showed up today.

Luckily, it came back with the original box, packaging and Alpina Letter of Authenticity that I had included when sending it to them. There was a checklist inside with checkmarks next to: demagnetize movement, regulate movement, lube gaskets and water resistant test. There is also a print out of test results from 2 pressure tests using a Witschi Proofmaster S, both test results showing "OK". So, without an explanation, I can only assume the movement got so magnetized that it stopped completely and would not start again no matter what I tried. I didn't realize this could happen so easily and so suddenly, and all I can think of doing that was slightly out of the ordinary was wearing the watch while spending about 30 minutes scraping ice from my truck windows in about 30 degree F temps the morning of the day it stopped. Does this sound like something that can magnetize a watch?

Anyway, other than the very slow repair, and the extreme lack of communication from Jomashop during the process, I am satisfied with the result. I do love the look of this watch, and I guess I'll just have to treat it very gently from now on.
    I'm no magnetism expert, but I don't see how scraping ice could have had any effect on the watch. Anyway, I'm glad you got it back and all seems to be well even if it took a long time to get it right. It's a great looking watch and I hope your problems with it are in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Topspin917 View Post
    I'm no magnetism expert, but I don't see how scraping ice could have had any effect on the watch. Anyway, I'm glad you got it back and all seems to be well even if it took a long time to get it right. It's a great looking watch and I hope your problems with it are in the past.
    Thank you. I am glad to have it back. For a while, I started thinking I'd just rather have a full refund and buy something else. But now that it is back on my wrist, I realize I really like it.
    After thinking more about it, and reading more about magnetism in watches, I wonder if it got magnetized because of the circumstances leading up to it stopping:

I had the watch shipped to my in-law's house in Denver while I was there for Christmas. They live at about 6,000 feet elevation. This was after being delivered via 2nd day air (the first plane ride). A few days later, it went through airport security (x-ray conveyer belt). Then onto the plane for the flight home to Oregon (second plane ride) back down to 500 feet elevation. Perhaps the 2 plane flights, sudden elevation changes on the ground and a trip through an airport scanner were enough to do it. I really don't know.

This was yesterdays wear... the Alpina Horological Smartwatch on bracelet. Find this much more practical than the FC version, with WR100m and a lot more solid on the wrist.

Name:  IMG_0117 (1).JPG
Views: 417
Size:  422.7 KB
    Last edited by seanpiper; March 10th, 2016 at 22:16.

I switch my bands/straps/bracelets up throughout the week, just to keep things interesting. Today I chose a bright blue NATO. Here is my Alpina today, complete with a few Oregon raindrops:

After getting my Startimer Pilot Auto back from Jomashop's repair department, I have worn it all day every day, except overnight. So far, over the course of 72 hours, it is 16 seconds fast, so it's averaging about +5 seconds per day. That was almost exactly how it was running for the first 2 weeks I had it, before it stopped. So although the repair slip said it was regulated, I don't see much of a difference in accuracy. But I can't complain about +5 seconds, I am happy with this watch.

I'm thinking of ordering a 22mm mesh bracelet with diver clasp from strapcode. This watch looks good on brown and black leather, and on NATO straps, but I'd like a metal bracelet for it, too. Stainless steel mesh bracelets with straight lugs seem to be pretty common on other pilot-style watches.
    Last edited by OregonJohnny; March 11th, 2016 at 20:48.
    Topspin917 likes this.

So today I decided to try bending/squeezing the end lugs of the jubilee bracelet that came with my Seiko SKX007, to fit the Alpina. It doesn't look perfect, but I think it does look pretty good. It rattles like crazy, though. I still think I'll eventually get a mesh bracelet for it.

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread Information