Alpina GMT, impressions after the first few days
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Alpina GMT, impressions after the first few days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alpina GMT, impressions after the first few days

Hi All

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I have had my GMT for a few days now, and over all it has been very enjoyable. I purchased it with the bracelet and a few days ago received my Ostrich Leather band, so have now been wearing it with that for the last few days.

Prior to this, I was wearing the Alpina Pilot for the couple of week preceding the arrival of this one. Although both are 44 mm cases, the GMT feels heavier than the Pilot. With the bracelet it was substantially heavier, but with the leather Strap, still heavier than the pilot with strap. I do not have an accurate scale, so am just going by the feel on the wrist.

The finish looks great, although there is no see-through back, so movement can not be seen, but the case, lugs bezel and everything looks well made, and polished parts well done, brushed parts looking great too. Accuracy is amazing, as with the other Alpinas I have had, at +2 or 3 secs per day.

I do have two complaints though. The 24 hour marking on the dial are way too small for quick glance reading. Most other GMT watches I have had, have had this in huge font on the bezel. Being on the bezel also has the advantage that it can be turned and set to different time zone very quickly. Apparently Alpina choose to give priority to the compass function, than the GMT function, even though they named it the GMT!

My other complaint is that the date changes with the 24 hour GMT hand, and not the main hand. I own and have owned many GMT watches from other brands due to frequent travel to the Far East. Every single one has the date change associated with the main hour hand and not the GMT hand. To me that makes sense, as while travelling, I set the 24 hour hand at my home time of Pacific Time USA, and set the main hand, to the local time. I therefore want the date changed by the local hand, not to see what the date is at home! It is a small point, but it does bug me, specially since Far East is close to a day ahead, so my date is off by almost a day !!

Here are some photos:

As the watch was received with the bracelet

Name:  IMG_1602.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  2.01 MB

As it is now with my new Ostrich Leg Strap

Name:  IMG_1650.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  1.69 MB

and the wrist shot

Name:  IMG_1670 C.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  1.23 MB

Cheers everyone
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony N; December 19th, 2016 at 03:51.
    TJ Boogie likes this.

Re: Alpina GMT, impressions after the first few days

Looks great on the strap.

I hate polished center links on bracelets, so the strap you have on it really makes the dial pop and gives it more class, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

If the date is off by almost a day can't you set it a day ahead and it would be correct most of the day in your time zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanicalworld View Post
    If the date is off by almost a day can't you set it a day ahead and it would be correct most of the day in your time zone?
    Yes, can do that, but problem is where I travel to, the time will change at 3 in the afternoon then, so have to choose if I want the correct date in the morning, or in the afternoon and evening. In any case is a design flaw, and I guess I can live without looking at the date !!

Why are the bezel numbers crazy? Significance?

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
    Why are the bezel numbers crazy? Significance?
    That is the compass function !!

Nice!

Mine, unfortunately, had an issue with the GMT function and had to go in for service. It's my first new watch to immediately be serviced so is naturally a bummer. But, hopefully all will be well when it returns. If not, I guess I'll have to buy the Omega seamaster GMT I've been wanting. I expect the Alpina to be in tip top shape, though, so I suppose I'll have to buy the Seamaster anyway...
    In the box and on the wrist:
    Stowa
    B-Uhr, Tudor Pelagos 2-liner, Longines Conquest GMT, Oris BC3 Plus, Alpina ​Alpiner 4 GMT

Considering:
    Rolex 16570 Polar, Sinn 857 UTC Testaf

I did a catch and release on this model and I regret letting it go. Really like this watch. The date/GMT issue described above can be annoying for sure. I hope to track another one of these down in 2017!

Great addition!
    What's one my wrist these days....

Omega Seamaster
    Hamilton Pan Europ LE
    Longines Heritage GMT
    Oris Big Crown ProPilot GMT
    Oris BC4
    Seiko Orange Sumo
    Alaina Startimer Automatic LE

It was one of my options for a GMT watch when I was in the market for the feature recently. I went with Omega 2234.50 but this Alpina was up there in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
    Hi All

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I have had my GMT for a few days now, and over all it has been very enjoyable. I purchased it with the bracelet and a few days ago received my Ostrich Leather band, so have now been wearing it with that for the last few days.

Prior to this, I was wearing the Alpina Pilot for the couple of week preceding the arrival of this one. Although both are 44 mm cases, the GMT feels heavier than the Pilot. With the bracelet it was substantially heavier, but with the leather Strap, still heavier than the pilot with strap. I do not have an accurate scale, so am just going by the feel on the wrist.

The finish looks great, although there is no see-through back, so movement can not be seen, but the case, lugs bezel and everything looks well made, and polished parts well done, brushed parts looking great too. Accuracy is amazing, as with the other Alpinas I have had, at +2 or 3 secs per day.

I do have two complaints though. The 24 hour marking on the dial are way too small for quick glance reading. Most other GMT watches I have had, have had this in huge font on the bezel. Being on the bezel also has the advantage that it can be turned and set to different time zone very quickly. Apparently Alpina choose to give priority to the compass function, than the GMT function, even though they named it the GMT!

My other complaint is that the date changes with the 24 hour GMT hand, and not the main hand. I own and have owned many GMT watches from other brands due to frequent travel to the Far East. Every single one has the date change associated with the main hour hand and not the GMT hand. To me that makes sense, as while travelling, I set the 24 hour hand at my home time of Pacific Time USA, and set the main hand, to the local time. I therefore want the date changed by the local hand, not to see what the date is at home! It is a small point, but it does bug me, specially since Far East is close to a day ahead, so my date is off by almost a day !!

Here are some photos:

As the watch was received with the bracelet

Name:  IMG_1602.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  2.01 MB

As it is now with my new Ostrich Leg Strap

Name:  IMG_1650.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  1.69 MB

and the wrist shot

Name:  IMG_1670 C.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  1.23 MB

Cheers everyone
    Tony
    That's a nice strap! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it from?

-Tim
    - Stuhrling Original Heritage Classic 148B.3315K54
    - Casio ProTrek PRW5000Y-1, Wave Ceptor WV-200A
    - Undone Aqua Custom
    - Swatch Sistem51 Class SUTS402
    - Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80.00, Speedmaster Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001, Seamaster 166010 circa 1967
    - Rolex Explorer II 16570-3186, GMT Master II 116710BLNR, DateJust 1601 two-tone circa 1978
    - Tudor Pelagos 25600TB
    - IWC Portuguese IW5001-09
    - Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT AL-550G5AQ6
    - Detroit Watch Company 1701 Launch Edition #3/50 Silver Dial, Pride of America Launch Edition #8/50, Detroit Watch Co. M1 Chronograph Black
    - Lum-Tec B23 Custom Combat B Carbon
    - Astor & Banks AB1405 Custom
    - Frederique Constant FC-715S4H6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information