WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Alpina Startimer Pilot Sunstar Automatic

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Gregger 
#1 ·
I had a Movado quartz for years, and recently I've been wearing Japanese automatics, Orients to be specific. I like my Orient, it's a heck of a watch at the price and gains only 4 sec/day. I liked it so much I bought an Orient Star, which is much more watch for a little more dough, and that one runs 5 sec/day fast. Pretty thrilled with the accuracy of both of those, and like I said, one is a nice watch for the money, and one is just a nice watch.

So it made me want a Swiss auto to get this watch thing out of my system. I thought, I'll get one decent Swiss auto and that will be that. In the mid tier the one make I came across that I really liked the house style was Alpina. I decided on a Startimer Pilot, and after a while one turned up at a great price and I snagged it.

I just took delivery of this watch, the 44mm Sunstar version on a steel bracelet.

Mind blown.

I just wanted to share that with someone.

Seriously, mind blown. This watch freaks me out a little. It is _so_ nice. I almost want to put a couple small scratches in it now so the thought of wearing it won't frighten me so much. The case is beautifully finished. The bracelet like none I've ever had in hand. The exhibition back displays a beautiful movement. I thought my Orients looked cool, but this is beautiful. What is that called, perlage? I didn't know they did that on their low end SW200 movements, and I'm sure this movement is nowhere near as lovely as their manufacture movements, but damn. If it isn't as accurate as my Orients I won't even be mad.

This is the nicest watch I'll ever own. I have Rolex and Omega tastes but unfortunately a Tissot budget. I am very, very happy that I found a deal on an Alpina that allowed me to get one. This watch is something else. You normally see this one on a leather strap, but let me tell you that the bracelet is a better buy. The bracelet is stunning and you can put it on a leather strap for less than a steel bracelet not as nice as this one. I actually already ordered a Meyhofer flieger style strap with rivets for this if I ever feel like making it more casual, but I'm super glad I got the bracelet.

At 44mm is it huge? Naw, I think it looks great. I am a big guy, but I have skinny wrists for my size. It sits perfect on my wrist and I think the size of the case looks great for the style of watch it is.

I think this is a watch that guys who dig watches will really appreciate when they see the layout and how nicely it's finished, but people who aren't into watches won't really notice it or think it's an expensive watch. It made no impression on my wife. The guys at the local jewelry store who sized the bracelet for me thought it was awesome.

Anyway I'm a little stunned and a lot happy about my new Alpina and I just wanted to share. I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen. I'll take a couple later and post them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Think Alpina flys a little under the radar. All I've seen, the finishing has been excellent.

Good to see you are extremely happy with the purchase. As you should be.

Can't wait to see pictures.

OBTW, not sure one ever get's it out of their system. Betting somewhere down the road they'll be another watch. Enjoy.

#4 ·
What? It's been 16 hours and no pic?
Kidding.. but not really.
I agree, it's a beautiful pilot-type watch and the build exudes quality.

#7 ·
Watch Wrist Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Bracelet Fashion accessory Green Grass Jewellery

Black Blue Text Font Sky

sorry for the poor shots, I'm not much for photography. The lume is better than it appears in this grainy shot.

Super happy about this watch. Waiting for a deal on one of the new Alpina Seastrong Heritage watches after they hit the market. I have zero gripes after a few days with my Alpina, and it definitely makes me want another watch from them. Just super.

#10 ·

I love mine!!

Reactions: mlankton
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.