WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Any issues with screw down crown on Alpina watch?

10K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  SCRAPPYDO 
#1 ·
I purchased an Alpina Startimer Automatic 44mm from an authorized (brick & mortar) dealer in late 2015. After about 5 months, the crown on the watch would no longer screw down. I returned the watch to the dealer, and they were able to send it out for repair under warranty, which took 4 agonizing months.

After receiving the watch back, the issue is fixed, however I feel like it still difficult to get the threads to engage when screwing down the crown, so I'm afraid I'm going to damage the watch again given more time.

I have other watches (Alpina Seastrong Diver 300, Christopher Ward, Shinola) with screw down crowns, and the process seems much easier and smoother.

Has anyone else experienced this same difficulty? Am I missing a trick to get the threads to engage easier?

I love this watch and the last thing I want to do is wreck it again and have to wait another 4 months for it to be fixed, or worse yet have it break once it's out of warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks, I feel like I have been pressing down gently since I received the watch, but can't help but feel like I was at least part of the problem the first time. It always feels to me like I have to push harder than I should have to in order for the threads to catch, hence my worry.

#7 ·
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I tried to tighten down my 44mm Startimer Sunburst Crown and I treat my watches very well. Suddenly the crown pops out again. The threads are made of butter or what do I know. Alpina is the worst watchbrand I have ever dealt with. Their watches are horrible quality and their customer service is the worst I`ve ever experienced. They respond a month late, that`s if they respond at all. Also my watch ran 15 seconds fast a day when new.
I bought the watch through Jomashop so they won`t give me any warranty and Jomashop doesn`t cover case damage. So i gave my watch to my local watch repair shop. Now he has to order the parts and because only the case plus crown tube can be replaced it`s a 180 euros. I paid 650 USD for the watch. Never buying anything from them Alpina and Frederiqe Constant ever again.

#8 ·
I beg to differ but we are all open to our own opinions.

Regarding the timekeeping, +15 seconds a day is pretty accurate for a non chronometer rated movement. (My Rolex ran around the same after a recent Rolex service. It did go back as it is a chronometer). You may find that the movement will settle down after several weeks to a more accurate rate.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Yeah but my Longines Hydroconquest which basically has the same movement (one is ETA 2824-2 and the other SW200) runs dead on and doesn`t loose or gain anything measurably for me. I wouldn`t even care about the timekeeping if the crown didn`t break. I relly enjoyed the watch but that just makes me sad.

#16 ·
To some of my emails I never got an answer. To others after a month. In fact they didn't respond at all till I messaged them on facebook directly and complained.

I never cross threaded a watch before. I have about 10 pieces and even my seiko skx has a better and smoother crown system. The watchmaker said Alpina won't sell the crown and tube to him. He would have to buy the case plus the crown and tube. The tube is soldered into the case, but it can be changed, they just wont sell it to him to make more profit.

I am from Austria. There is no AD near me except a few hours of driving. Alpina does not have any AD in my area. So what should I have done? And even if i bought it at an AD do you think that would make them respond to my emails?

#17 ·
To some of my emails I never got an answer. To others after a month. In fact they didn't respond at all till I messaged them on facebook directly and complained.

I never cross threaded a watch before. I have about 10 pieces and even my seiko skx has a better and smoother crown system. The watchmaker said Alpina won't sell the crown and tube to him. He would have to buy the case plus the crown and tube. The tube is soldered into the case, but it can be changed, they just wont sell it to him to make more profit.

I am from Austria. There is no AD near me except a few hours of driving. Alpina does not have any AD in my area. So what should I have done? And even if i bought it at an AD do you think that would make them respond to my emails?
I've never received a response from them through their 'official' showcase site form, which I found odd.

I do, however, receive fairly prompt responses when I use their webstore email

#18 ·
I purchased an Alpina Startimer Automatic 44mm from an authorized (brick & mortar) dealer in late 2015. After about 5 months, the crown on the watch would no longer screw down. I returned the watch to the dealer, and they were able to send it out for repair under warranty, which took 4 agonizing months. After receiving the watch back, the issue is fixed, however I feel like it still difficult to get the threads to engage when screwing down the crown, so I'm afraid I'm going to damage the watch again given more time. I have other watches (Alpina Seastrong Diver 300, Christopher Ward, Shinola) with screw down crowns, and the process seems much easier and smoother. Has anyone else experienced this same difficulty? Am I missing a trick to get the threads to engage easier? I love this watch and the last thing I want to do is wreck it again and have to wait another 4 months for it to be fixed, or worse yet have it break once it's out of warranty. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
This exact thing happened to me. Unfortunately, it was out of warranty when it happened- Alpina wanted over $700 to repair. Which is what I paid for the watch. Can it be repaired ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.