bought an alpina AL750 chronograph - not working - am i stupid? - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: bought an alpina AL750 chronograph - not working - am i stupid?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    KAW

Re: bought an alpina AL750 chronograph - not working - am i stupid?

Yes, for a watch with that type of date setting mechanism it's a good idea to use the time setting function to verify the watch is not engaged in the process of changing the date.

Hopefully it all works out. I have 1 alpina and I am very happy with it. I probably would have tried to hand wind it, but if the rotor was not moving, then it certainly seems like something was wrong.

I saw a post a while ago about someone who got an Oris and could see a screw that had fallen out through the exhibition case back. Oris is widely known for quality and it does go to show that every once in a while something crappy happens.

i learn something new everyday. I usually dont care much if my date is off. So this all only applies to adjusting the date correct? I have free reign to adjust the time whenever and however with no effect to the date mechanism?

Yup this alpina I had didnt even wind when I hand wound it. Just got a RMA and a new one is being sent to me. That one I sent back was definitely a DOA. Hopefully this new one lasts a very very long time. Its been awhile for me wanting a chronograph. Finally! Goes to show that "swiss made" and or made in Geneva means nothing. Anything hand made is bound to have some errors here and there.
    Last edited by kaitanium; September 28th, 2016 at 01:04.

Quote Originally Posted by kaitanium View Post
    Yup this alpina I had didnt even wind when I hand wound it. Just got a RMA and a new one is being sent to me. That one I sent back was definitely a DOA. Hopefully this new one lasts a very very long time. Its been awhile for me wanting a chronograph. Finally! Goes to show that "swiss made" and or made in Geneva means nothing. Anything hand made is bound to have some errors here and there.
    Yea it's unfortunate. Check out what happened to the bezel insert on johnnmiller1's 'Seastrong' 300 diver. Pretty shoddy if you ask me. Hopefully your replacement runs flawlessly

back to this problem.

Have my 2nd brand new copy for 3 weeks now. Lets just say it was working when I got it.

Today giving it 20 winds with the crown and still nothing (clockwise spin the crown right??). I dont want to give it too many winds with the hand, I know its not good for the watch supposedly. I spin the watch clockwise by hand hearing the winding noise (not the rotor free spinning noise) but still the watch doesnt move.

Really am i stupid? Is this 7750 movement so temperamental? All my other watches, omega, cheaper tisells, chinese movements, ETA movements, etc all start moving with the slightest movement from a dead stop. Yes they are bidirectional winding but thats beside the point.

The point is, why is this Alpina watch so hard to get going? What am I doing wrong? Maybe I need a dedicated watch winder? I fail to see what difference that would make unless the 7750 needs constant turning without stopping to get it juiced up. Last week it was moving just fine from a dead stop.

I started, stopped and resetted the chornograph twice since i got this watch. I didnt want to play with it much at the suggestion of the members here. I never changed the date since i dont really care about dates, I just set the time only in the 3 weeks I had this.

Seems like this movement is too temperamental to keep. I should have just went with an omega speedy which is probably what Ill do.
    Last edited by kaitanium; October 22nd, 2016 at 10:20.

Yup I must be an idiot when it comes to the 7750. Hopefully I can get a refund on this thing. Im on the verge of questioning Alpina quality too. The 7750 is supposed to be "the modern workhorse"!!!

Damn sorry youre still having trouble with this

Yup confirmed 2nd watch is dead also. At least I got a full refund.

Piece of junk Alpina paperweight, never buying or looking at their watches again. Talk about a bad first impression! Speedmaster here I come.
    Last edited by kaitanium; November 28th, 2016 at 19:21.
    UofRSpider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kaitanium View Post
    Yup confirmed 2nd watch is dead also. At least I got a full refund.

Piece of junk Alpina paperweight, never buying or looking at their watches again. Talk about a bad first impression! Speedmaster here I come.
    The 7750 is a well proven movement and a workhorse.

I totally agree with your statement about the Speedmaster, awesome watch that has history and good resale value. I would also recommend looking at Oris.

Quote Originally Posted by UofRSpider View Post
    The 7750 is a well proven movement and a workhorse.

I totally agree with your statement about the Speedmaster, awesome watch that has history and good resale value. I would also recommend looking at Oris.
    oris definitely has some cool dial and case designs but their lug design is a huge turn off for me. I cant use any aftermarket straps with those sort of lugs on the watches i like from them.

Ive been searching almost everyday, looking at every website, instagram post, facebook, etc i can get a hold of for vintage and current chronographs, and nothing really comes close to the speedmaster's balanced look. I do like the old-school-classic chronograph look of this alpina or a comparable tag heuer calibre 6 or 18 but alas if i had to choose 1 chrono, it would be the speedy moonwatch (maybe even the smaller "numbered edition").

Tried a speedy on this weekend at an AD, and that basically sealed the deal for me. Eyes on the prize. =D
    UofRSpider likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast