bought an alpina AL750 chronograph - not working - am i stupid?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: bought an alpina AL750 chronograph - not working - am i stupid?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

This is my 6th watch. However first chronograph.

I cant get this darn thing to work! Just received it, brand spanking new in box never worn smells fresh from the factory cant get any newer than this. Beautiful classic chronograph. Love the design. Was excited, gave it a 5 minute winding (not hand wound via crown) and nothing. Pressed the top chronometer button, nothing. Pressed the zero-out bottom button, nothing. Thinking something is stuck, adjusted the time and date randomly and still nothing.

Any tippers? Or just call me dumb that I cant get a watch to work LOL. Thick instruction booklet tells me nothing. Cant be this hard!
    Last edited by kaitanium; September 15th, 2016 at 06:06.

Should not be this hard but when winding it does it actually run at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GMTs and more
    Rolex Explorer II | SBGM027 Grand Seiko | Damasko DH1.0

Chronos
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 30th anniversary edition | Omega Mark II racing dial | Omega Mark IV | Omega Mark 4.5

Divers
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500 | Seiko MM300

Re: bought an alpina AL750 chronograph - not working - am i stupid?

Doesnt run at all. After some more tinkering and hand shaking the watch a bit, Im thinking something inside is blocking the counterweight from spinning at times. Sometimes when I give it a shake, i can hear the rotor winding nicely like my other watches, then it all of a sudden stops as if it gets stuck. The winding sound also doesnt sound smooth like my other watches. loud soft loud soft sometimes even a scraping sound.

calling this one in. Not the priciest of watches but i sort of expected more from this brand.

does a chronograph watch run by itself like a regular mechanical watch without having to press that upper right chronograph button?
    Last edited by kaitanium; September 15th, 2016 at 08:17.

I would get it replaced.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

really expected a bit more from this brand. Really did. Getting it replaced!

Im assuming that this is a 7750 movement. I advise not to play with the chronograph function too much. If you are not sure how it should be operated, better read up before you spoilt it. As usual, you shouldn't change the date anywhere near 10pm to 4am.

For your watch, i suggest give it a good 10 wind at the crown, if it does not run, you have to send it back cause it's damaged.
    kaitanium likes this.

Rotor wasnt spinning so definitely something wrong. I assume a screw got loose and jammed it as I have had that happen on my other watches before too. But Im not 100% sure as i dont want to open it as its still under warranty. Sent it back.

Come again on the 10-4PM date adjustment? Havent heard of that yet. I never care about the date on my watches but this will be good to know. Function-wise I only bought this watch for the chronograph look and couldnt care more about what its for. What about the 10-4 though? Thanks!

btw instructions dont really say much other than to how to read the telemeter and what buttons are for what.
    Last edited by kaitanium; September 21st, 2016 at 21:47.

KAW

Most watches with a quick-set date function have a period where the date mechanism is engaged in the process of changing the date. Even though this appears to happen quite quickly from the wearer's point of view the entire process can take hours. What happens in most mechanisms is there is a small wheel with a finger that does a complete rotation every 24 hours. The date disc, which has the numbers for the days of the month, has a set of teeth (one for each day) on its inner circumference. The normal date change occurs when the finger engages with a tooth on the date disc as part of its normal rotation, which eventually advances the date disc to the next day. The quick-set mechanism involves moving the date disc manually and so this needs to happen when the wheel's finger is not in between 2 teeth; otherwise, you risk breaking the finger off or forcing the wheel out of it's correct 24 hour alignment. A common timeframe is 6 hours, e.g. do not change the date between 8pm-2am. The specific period should be specified by the manufacturer but I believe the AL750 is based on the SW500, which is engaged in the date change between 8pm and 2am.

The telemeter function is described in section 3.2 of the manual, which you can download from here.
    Last edited by KAW; September 23rd, 2016 at 02:22. Reason: Hadn't finished

Every brand known to man has its duds so not representative of Alpina even though admittedly frustrating. I had two Alpinas and they worked flawlessly. Sh$t happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaunie_007 likes this.
    GMTs and more
    Rolex Explorer II | SBGM027 Grand Seiko | Damasko DH1.0

Chronos
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 30th anniversary edition | Omega Mark II racing dial | Omega Mark IV | Omega Mark 4.5

Divers
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500 | Seiko MM300

interesting, so a video like this would be correct (for that watch). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiSnulv516E

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information