WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

FC Classic Moonphase - Scratched Disc?

466 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bleedingblue 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all - I just bought a FC Classic Manufacture Moonphase. I am in love with the aesthetics of the watch, and managed to snag a new version at a great price on Amazon, which seemed perfect upon first inspection. However, after wearing it for a few days, I was setting the moonphase at my desk (under particularly harsh office lighting), and noticed that the moonphase disc itself seems pretty uneven in texture (almost kind of scratched up, though that may be exaggerating). Being OCD about new watches as I am, I have now inspected the moonphase under some pretty harsh lighting and rotated it, and I can see lines and inconsistencies in the metallic blue finish. I took a photo below to show the angle I'm talking about - sorry for the poor quality, as it's really hard to photograph, but I can see the inconsistencies when it's angled and the blue looks more aquamarine. I'm wondering if other owners of this watch have noticed something similar, or if their moonphase discs are perfectly uniform and consistent in color and texture? Some of the pictures from the following review seem like they might be showing what I'm talking about, but I can't tell. Did I get unlucky and get a scratched up disc? Frederique Constant Classic Moonphase Review - worn&wound

Thanks for indulging me!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Hand

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you certain that the way the light reflects off the moonphase disk isn't intention and just part of the finish? Granted, your picture is a bit fuzzy, but it looks like something intentional to catch the light.

Try turning the moonphase a complete 360 degrees and see if this effect occurs throughout the entire disk, or just the one part.

Regards,
Alysandir

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I rotated the moon disk around, and the texture is more or less like that throughout the entire 360 degree rotation - uneven texture with marks all over it. I didn't think about it being intentional, but you may well be right that this is to catch the light. I have included a slightly better photo below, though it's still hard to make out the individual "scratches" / lines on the disk. Do you think this is the intended texture for this piece? Thanks again.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.